Crossing Estes Flats - etiquette? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 03-08-2017, 09:14 PM   #1
barronj
SHUFL

barronj has been promoted to Piratebarronj has been promoted to Piratebarronj has been promoted to Piratebarronj has been promoted to Piratebarronj has been promoted to Piratebarronj has been promoted to Piratebarronj has been promoted to Piratebarronj has been promoted to Piratebarronj has been promoted to Piratebarronj has been promoted to Piratebarronj has been promoted to Pirate
Crossing Estes Flats - etiquette?

I was fishing Blind Pass, headed back towards Cove Harbor and the wind had picked up a bit since I'd set out for the day. I'd taken 5 kids fishing this past Sunday, and I didn't want to cross the bay and scare kids who'd never had much experience on the water before, so I took a circuitous route, entering at CC Bayou and then up across California hole and on across Estes, coming out around the spoil islands. I crossed paths with another boater, he came from the right (Big Cut) and headed west until he hit the channel/ditch, then he turned north, same direction I was going. Is it poor form to run across Estes like I did? Should I minimize my impact on Estes and get to the ditch as quick as possible and then head north? Now that I think about it, that's probably what I should do, but there was NO pressure on the flats, a couple of boats only, at most.

Kids had fun catching schoolie trout, couldn't seem to put them on anything better than that, one kid caught a sting ray and threw his whole pole in the water because he was scared. We were wet wading at that point so I trudged/shuffled over and caught the pole as it was slowly moving off, showed them how to safely cut the line, don't try to salvage a hook on a stingray.
barronj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2017, 09:46 PM   #2
Bull Red
Spending way too much time on 2Cool

Bull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to Pirate
As far as etiquette goes, it doesn't sound like you did anything that hasn't been done 1000 times before. Just be careful not to damage the sea grass. It carries a big fine from what I've heard.
Bull Red is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 06:20 AM   #3
boltmaster
cat lover

boltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirate
There are a couple of marked deeper paths through Estes that you can run in most boats with no problem just stay on plane and cruise through. The issue comes in when you stop to fish and then try to pop up and damage the bottom and grass. They will hit you with a fine if you get caught. If the tide is average or high you can zip through just fine. Banging around the outside of traylor island for a couple of miles is for sure no fun on a windy day
boltmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 06:32 AM   #4
bigfishtx
Registered Users-pm+

bigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Pirate
We do it all the time, just try not to cross to close downwind from someone drifting the flats.
bigfishtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 01:33 PM   #5
TexasRenegade
"On the Run"

TexasRenegade has been promoted to PirateTexasRenegade has been promoted to PirateTexasRenegade has been promoted to PirateTexasRenegade has been promoted to PirateTexasRenegade has been promoted to PirateTexasRenegade has been promoted to PirateTexasRenegade has been promoted to PirateTexasRenegade has been promoted to PirateTexasRenegade has been promoted to PirateTexasRenegade has been promoted to PirateTexasRenegade has been promoted to Pirate
On calm days I'll take the bay side of Trayor, but when that wind picks up it can get nasty and Estes is a good place to duck into if you can. If your rig runs shallow enough to not tear up the grass it's all good.

Like Bigfish said, watch your drifters, and give everyone else the space they need.
TexasRenegade is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #6
Bankin' On It
Registered Users-pm+

Bankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to Pirate
As far as etiquette is concerned...always doff your hat. Good day sir.

Bankin' On It is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 08:42 PM   #7
oponder
OP

oponder has been promoted to Pirateoponder has been promoted to Pirateoponder has been promoted to Pirateoponder has been promoted to Pirateoponder has been promoted to Pirateoponder has been promoted to Pirateoponder has been promoted to Pirateoponder has been promoted to Pirateoponder has been promoted to Pirateoponder has been promoted to Pirateoponder has been promoted to Pirate
I was fishing there a while back and a guy came zipping across and hit the old terminal tracks he kept going but it sounded really bad so there are a few obstacles there if your not sure about where you are going.
oponder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message