Specks feeding at night Video - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Individual Fishing & Game Reports

Notices

Old 03-07-2017, 06:27 PM   #1
txspeck
Registered Users-pm+

txspeck has been promoted to Piratetxspeck has been promoted to Piratetxspeck has been promoted to Piratetxspeck has been promoted to Piratetxspeck has been promoted to Piratetxspeck has been promoted to Piratetxspeck has been promoted to Piratetxspeck has been promoted to Piratetxspeck has been promoted to Piratetxspeck has been promoted to Piratetxspeck has been promoted to Pirate
Specks feeding at night Video

Wow, crazy how fast specks can engulf their food.

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/video...UFMH8KyIVjc.03
Z
txspeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2017, 07:25 PM   #2
RB II
Native Texan

RB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to Pirate
I have been in those spots where they are stacked up like that and, yep, they demolish the baits. Problem is finding those spots.
RB II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2017, 11:47 AM   #3
Sancroix
God Bless the fishermen

Sancroix has been promoted to PirateSancroix has been promoted to PirateSancroix has been promoted to PirateSancroix has been promoted to PirateSancroix has been promoted to PirateSancroix has been promoted to PirateSancroix has been promoted to PirateSancroix has been promoted to PirateSancroix has been promoted to PirateSancroix has been promoted to PirateSancroix has been promoted to Pirate
Very interesting to see the feeding behavior. The current appears to be moving from right to left (camera view). The trout are facing into the current. The prey I can't really get a handle on. Clearly most are in a panic state, because they know they are in danger. But it seems like some bait comes down to the trout with the current, while others are swimming up the current and the trout engulf them as they come into view.

Also, there is that clear "bump" sound being made at the moment of predation. I've never heard the sound any of the noise makers we use in fishing (popping corks, rattle weights, spinner blades, etc), but I wonder if there is something that accurately creates that feeding sound, in the water?
Sancroix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2017, 05:00 PM   #4
txspeck
Registered Users-pm+

txspeck has been promoted to Piratetxspeck has been promoted to Piratetxspeck has been promoted to Piratetxspeck has been promoted to Piratetxspeck has been promoted to Piratetxspeck has been promoted to Piratetxspeck has been promoted to Piratetxspeck has been promoted to Piratetxspeck has been promoted to Piratetxspeck has been promoted to Piratetxspeck has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancroix View Post
Very interesting to see the feeding behavior. The current appears to be moving from right to left (camera view). The trout are facing into the current. The prey I can't really get a handle on. Clearly most are in a panic state, because they know they are in danger. But it seems like some bait comes down to the trout with the current, while others are swimming up the current and the trout engulf them as they come into view.

Also, there is that clear "bump" sound being made at the moment of predation. I've never heard the sound any of the noise makers we use in fishing (popping corks, rattle weights, spinner blades, etc), but I wonder if there is something that accurately creates that feeding sound, in the water?
What a great observation, I never notice the sound the trout were making right before they inhaled the bait. Interesting for sure.
txspeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2017, 11:37 PM   #5
4 Ever-Fish N
Registered Users-pm+

4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate
Great video. That explains how is seems that a speck can inhale the bait as soon as it hits the water. Thanks for posting.
4 Ever-Fish N is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 06:59 AM   #6
patwilson
Living Life for a Living....

patwilson has been promoted to Piratepatwilson has been promoted to Piratepatwilson has been promoted to Piratepatwilson has been promoted to Piratepatwilson has been promoted to Piratepatwilson has been promoted to Piratepatwilson has been promoted to Piratepatwilson has been promoted to Piratepatwilson has been promoted to Piratepatwilson has been promoted to Piratepatwilson has been promoted to Pirate
Awesome video...

Reminds me of this.
Attached Images

patwilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 09:51 AM   #7
TxMav
Registered Users-pm+

TxMav has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTxMav has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTxMav has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTxMav has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTxMav has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTxMav has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTxMav has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTxMav has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTxMav has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTxMav has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTxMav has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Quote:

I noticed this too. Made me wonder, if one was fishing this situation, what would be the best angle to cast from? Or does it matter?
Where would you position yourself and where would you try to place the bait/lure?
TxMav is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 09:57 AM   #8
Fishin' Soldier
Can't be what you ain't.

Fishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to Pirate
Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxMav View Post
I noticed this too. Made me wonder, if one was fishing this situation, what would be the best angle to cast from? Or does it matter?
Where would you position yourself and where would you try to place the bait/lure?
Fish almost always stage with their face into the current. Best approach would be to bring your bait from the direction they are facing. It does show that they will eat in any direction the bait is coming. You increase your odds of them not missing the bait by having more time to react. Do this by bringing the bait with the current. When they are feeding like this though you could catch them on a bare hook probably.
Fishin' Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 09:58 AM   #9
Rolltide
Rolltide

Rolltide has been promoted to PirateRolltide has been promoted to PirateRolltide has been promoted to PirateRolltide has been promoted to PirateRolltide has been promoted to PirateRolltide has been promoted to PirateRolltide has been promoted to PirateRolltide has been promoted to PirateRolltide has been promoted to PirateRolltide has been promoted to PirateRolltide has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:

I think that bumping is the sound of their mouth and gills slamming shut once they have the bait in their mouth. It would be interesting to mimic that sound as active feeding and see if it would increase getting bit.
Rolltide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 10:07 AM   #10
mwatson71
Registered Users-pm+

mwatson71 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I think I could sit and watch that all day.

As for the direction to cast into, I agree that you would want to approach them from the direction they were facing. I used to fish at the San Luis Pass Pier until Ike wiped it out. There were always a bunch of people who wanted to throw a live shrimp out under a popping cork so that it got carried out with the current and just letting it sit out there and popping it with the current keeping the line taut. I learned from some guys there that you had much better luck throwing out as far as you could and letting the current bring it towards you and popping it on the way back in. You had to reel faster than the current and it took a lot more effort, but the results were far better than the guys on the other side of the pier.
mwatson71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message