Port O'Connor spots to fish - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 03-07-2017, 10:43 AM   #1
Centex fisher
Registered Users-pm+

Centex fisher has been promoted to PirateCentex fisher has been promoted to PirateCentex fisher has been promoted to PirateCentex fisher has been promoted to PirateCentex fisher has been promoted to PirateCentex fisher has been promoted to PirateCentex fisher has been promoted to PirateCentex fisher has been promoted to PirateCentex fisher has been promoted to PirateCentex fisher has been promoted to PirateCentex fisher has been promoted to Pirate
Port O'Connor spots to fish

Haven't been down in a long time. Taking the family later this month. What are some good spots to hit this time of year? Thanks in advance.
Centex fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2017, 04:17 PM   #2
Trouthappy
Trouthappy

Trouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to Pirate
Anchor at the jetties and bring live shrimp.
Trouthappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2017, 05:47 PM   #3
Laguna Freak
two of my favorites

Laguna Freak has been promoted to PirateLaguna Freak has been promoted to PirateLaguna Freak has been promoted to PirateLaguna Freak has been promoted to PirateLaguna Freak has been promoted to PirateLaguna Freak has been promoted to PirateLaguna Freak has been promoted to PirateLaguna Freak has been promoted to PirateLaguna Freak has been promoted to PirateLaguna Freak has been promoted to PirateLaguna Freak has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouthappy View Post
Anchor at the jetties and bring live shrimp.
Laguna Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2017, 09:02 PM   #4
TreyW81
POC H20

TreyW81 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Help good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex fisher View Post
Haven't been down in a long time. Taking the family later this month. What are some good spots to hit this time of year? Thanks in advance.

Not sure if you want to go shallow or deep but, and this isn't a lot of help, I was down there with some friends a week or so ago and we caught a few fish in Mitchell's cut before the Left/East Turn going to the old coast guard station. Didn't catch a fish in oilfield cut or near the old coast guard station. We went to go offshore but the wind didn't allow it and I couldn't get my boat very shallow with the water out. Several places I have fished before were inaccessible. I told my wife I needed another boat and she walked off .

I ended up taking them to the end of the small jetties and the pier and we caught 3 bonnet head sharks, several sheepshead, a couple black drum, whiting, and the dreaded hardheads. We also caught several fish in the ICW at the house we rented, including some redfish. When you get to go a couple times a year you have to take the weather in stride. I'm going back during Spring Break on a family trip, if we do any good I will relay the info. I'm sure we will hit the big jetties this time.

I couldn't fish it last time but when I am there I try to drift fish by grass island and around the lighthouse / state park area and catch a few. Several boats headed that way while we were there.
TreyW81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2017, 09:40 PM   #5
SSST
Registered Users-pm+

SSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to Pirate
Bill Day Reef area has lots of shell to drift throwing plastics or live shrimp, of course if the wind is blowing 20, scratch that.
SSST is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2017, 09:45 AM   #6
Centex fisher
Registered Users-pm+

Centex fisher has been promoted to PirateCentex fisher has been promoted to PirateCentex fisher has been promoted to PirateCentex fisher has been promoted to PirateCentex fisher has been promoted to PirateCentex fisher has been promoted to PirateCentex fisher has been promoted to PirateCentex fisher has been promoted to PirateCentex fisher has been promoted to PirateCentex fisher has been promoted to PirateCentex fisher has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks guys. We are actually going down this weekend now and in to a few days next week. Looks like wind is in the forecast. As Trey said "When you get to go a couple times a year you have to take the weather in stride".

Looks like the stance we will be taking. We'll just look for cover from the wind and do the best we can. Any other suggestions appreciated.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:59 PM   #7
TreyW81
POC H20

TreyW81 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex fisher View Post
Thanks guys. We are actually going down this weekend now and in to a few days next week. Looks like wind is in the forecast. As Trey said "When you get to go a couple times a year you have to take the weather in stride".

Looks like the stance we will be taking. We'll just look for cover from the wind and do the best we can. Any other suggestions appreciated.

I will be there Saturday-Wednesday, along with the wind. Looks like heavy rain Saturday. It seems like every spring break it is either raining, windy, or the water has no salinity due to previous rains.

If you see a blue NauticStar behind a gray f150 or white ram 2500 that could be me. On Main street toward the East End there is a sno-cone stand for sale, that and the homes behind it used to be my uncles, I wish they still lived there. We rent houses when we go down now. Tigrett and pocrentals.com have both been good to us. A free place was better though. Ha.
TreyW81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 07:03 AM   #8
bonkers
Registered Users-pm+

bonkers has been promoted to Piratebonkers has been promoted to Piratebonkers has been promoted to Piratebonkers has been promoted to Piratebonkers has been promoted to Piratebonkers has been promoted to Piratebonkers has been promoted to Piratebonkers has been promoted to Piratebonkers has been promoted to Piratebonkers has been promoted to Piratebonkers has been promoted to Pirate
I have always had great luck catching reds in 20'-30' of water at the end of the east most jetty in POC. If you anchor at the end off that jetty about 50 yards from the rocks there is a deep hole there that constantly holds large red fish. Many guides are out there all the time. Sometime there are reds and sometimes there are not but from my experience I have caught reds there every time I go except once and that time we moved more into the bay at the end of that same jetty and caught reds. Large live shrimp on a fish finder rig with 1/2 oz to 2 oz weight depending on the tide and it can get to moving there at times. Good luck.
bonkers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 07:13 AM   #9
mac8111
Registered Users-pm+

mac8111 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
We fished yesterday. Pringle Lake had plenty of Redfish, many small ones. Conti lake had some small Reds and a few trout that we drifted for. That's a long run for a family though.

The guys that went to the jetties lit it up. Monster Reds and sheepshead. Largest red was 42. All caught on shrimp.
mac8111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 08:41 AM   #10
Centex fisher
Registered Users-pm+

We usually spend some time at the big jetties but with the wind they are forecasting, that probably won't be a fun ride for the family.