St Charles bay report?? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Individual Fishing & Game Reports

Notices

Old 02-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #1
Deer30
Registered Users-pm+

Deer30 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
St Charles bay report??

Driving down Thursday with a friend who has never fished the coast and bringing the kayaks. Can anyone point me to where we might land some dinner? I picked up a few different gulp shrimp, mullet and jerk bait style lures. Have a cast net if needed also. I was thinking of paddling out from goose island state park. I don't know the area real well. Been doing some googling for my research. Any tips is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deer30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2017, 10:33 PM   #2
Deer30
Registered Users-pm+

Anyone?

Old 02-20-2017, 10:53 PM   #3
ctsa
Registered Users-pm+

ctsa has been promoted to Piratectsa has been promoted to Piratectsa has been promoted to Piratectsa has been promoted to Piratectsa has been promoted to Piratectsa has been promoted to Piratectsa has been promoted to Piratectsa has been promoted to Piratectsa has been promoted to Piratectsa has been promoted to Piratectsa has been promoted to Pirate
On a kayak you are a bit limited due to range on St Charles but the mouth with a falling tide holds trout and reds picking off bait as it is funneled into the main bay. That shoreline on the outside as well can hold scattered reds and trout along the flat and drop.

If you are adventurous you can paddle North and hit some of the mouths of rivers. Trout and reds will be holed up in that mud for the next few weeks.

Good luck
ctsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2017, 06:48 AM   #4
Deer30
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsa View Post
On a kayak you are a bit limited due to range on St Charles but the mouth with a falling tide holds trout and reds picking off bait as it is funneled into the main bay. That shoreline on the outside as well can hold scattered reds and trout along the flat and drop.

If you are adventurous you can paddle North and hit some of the mouths of rivers. Trout and reds will be holed up in that mud for the next few weeks.

Good luck

Thanks. Any other places recommend that would be better suited for kayaks and some fish?

Old 02-21-2017, 07:28 AM   #5
aggie13_03
Registered Users-pm+

aggie13_03 has been promoted to Pirateaggie13_03 has been promoted to Pirateaggie13_03 has been promoted to Pirateaggie13_03 has been promoted to Pirateaggie13_03 has been promoted to Pirateaggie13_03 has been promoted to Pirateaggie13_03 has been promoted to Pirateaggie13_03 has been promoted to Pirateaggie13_03 has been promoted to Pirateaggie13_03 has been promoted to Pirateaggie13_03 has been promoted to Pirate
I fished out of a boat a few weeks ago and caught a lot of rat reds, but couldn't find the bigger fish. However, we didn't fish St. Charles very long, just hit it on our way in.

We fished the reefs around Bird Point and East Pocket. If you wanted to fish further north like ctsa suggested, you could park on the side of Lamar Beach Rd. and put your kayaks in on the west shore.

Good luck.
aggie13_03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2017, 03:10 PM   #6
Txredfish
Registered Users-pm+

Txredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to Pirate
You could go farther north up hiway 35 to Cavasso Creek. To the right of the bridge is where kayak can be launched. You can go right (east) toward the main ST Charles Bay or left (west) under bridge which puts you into a narrow creek. Only problem with left is that I have seen some gators which have never botherd me but makes me nervous.
If you go right, that north shoreline holds some reds from time to time.
Txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2017, 03:18 PM   #7
Deer30
Registered Users-pm+

Thanks for the replies. If you guys were fishing in 2 days from a kayak. Where would you fish? Is the east shoreline better than the west in st Charles?

Old 02-21-2017, 06:16 PM   #8
Deer30
Registered Users-pm+

Do you use tide chart apps? Any other places suggested? Light house lakes, South Bay? Trying to have a few spots in case the wind isn't right.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:33 PM   #9
ctsa
Registered Users-pm+

ctsa has been promoted to Piratectsa has been promoted to Piratectsa has been promoted to Piratectsa has been promoted to Piratectsa has been promoted to Piratectsa has been promoted to Piratectsa has been promoted to Piratectsa has been promoted to Piratectsa has been promoted to Piratectsa has been promoted to Piratectsa has been promoted to Pirate
If I was in a kayak I'd fish East pocket slow and steady. Won't be a ton of tide movement that far back and outside you may get rock and rolled if a southeast wind is in play.

Lighthouse Lakes probably won't have enough water in them would be my guess.
ctsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2017, 07:43 AM   #10
Deer30
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsa View Post
If I was in a kayak I'd fish East pocket slow and steady. Won't be a ton of tide movement that far back and outside you may get rock and rolled if a southeast wind is in play.

Lighthouse Lakes probably won't have enough water in them would be my guess.

East pocket? That the pocket from egg points down to blackjack? I fished bartell islands once and didn't go any further. Launching from goose island would put me closer to the east shoreline? Was thinking of catching live mullet and tossing it out as well as using artificial