Drift socks for 18' Shallow Sport - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum

Notices

Old 03-20-2017, 06:40 AM   #1
GULF COAST FISHERMAN
Registered Users-pm+

GULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Drift socks for 18' Shallow Sport

I would like to use 2 drift socks for my Shallow Sport 18 Sport. I am thinking 30". Does anyone use 2 drift socks on a similar size boat and what size do you use? Thanks!
GULF COAST FISHERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 07:26 AM   #2
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Bigger
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 06:01 PM   #3
LPKENNER
Im your huckleberry!!

LPKENNER has been promoted to PirateLPKENNER has been promoted to PirateLPKENNER has been promoted to PirateLPKENNER has been promoted to PirateLPKENNER has been promoted to PirateLPKENNER has been promoted to PirateLPKENNER has been promoted to PirateLPKENNER has been promoted to PirateLPKENNER has been promoted to PirateLPKENNER has been promoted to PirateLPKENNER has been promoted to Pirate
I found I like the Cabelas brand. I have a big heavy 24' Pathfinder and I use the 78" diameter. I bet the 48" would get the job done for you. Mine may be a little big, but it really slows me down on those windy days. I like to just use one big one vs two smaller ones

http://www.cabelas.com/product/boati...ck/1801756.uts
LPKENNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 06:59 PM   #4
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Here's the difference no one thinks about. A big V like a pathfinder sits down in the water and doesnt blow across the water nearly as bad as a flat flats boat. The flats boat flat bottom will drift thru much faster. Even the lighter shorter 18 will blow across faster than that 24 V plowing thru....so they will need similar drift sick.

Get two big 48" or so....one front and one back for best of all worlds.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:19 PM   #5
kcliff
Registered Users-pm+

kcliff has been promoted to Piratekcliff has been promoted to Piratekcliff has been promoted to Piratekcliff has been promoted to Piratekcliff has been promoted to Piratekcliff has been promoted to Piratekcliff has been promoted to Piratekcliff has been promoted to Piratekcliff has been promoted to Piratekcliff has been promoted to Piratekcliff has been promoted to Pirate
What ever you get make sure they have the float and weight system so they open quicker. I bought a cabelas brand and was happy with it. If you have an option get a bright color in case it slips off the cleat or fish gets wrapped in it and you decide to untie it. Don't ask lol I just know.
kcliff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 07:20 PM   #6
GULF COAST FISHERMAN
Registered Users-pm+

GULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPKENNER View Post
I found I like the Cabelas brand. I have a big heavy 24' Pathfinder and I use the 78" diameter. I bet the 48" would get the job done for you. Mine may be a little big, but it really slows me down on those windy days. I like to just use one big one vs two smaller ones

http://www.cabelas.com/product/boati...ck/1801756.uts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrem View Post
Here's the difference no one thinks about. A big V like a pathfinder sits down in the water and doesnt blow across the water nearly as bad as a flat flats boat. The flats boat flat bottom will drift thru much faster. Even the lighter shorter 18 will blow across faster than that 24 V plowing thru....so they will need similar drift sick.

Get two big 48" or so....one front and one back for best of all worlds.
Those are really big drift socks. The reason I was thinking of 2 smaller ones is because I usually drift in about 3" - 3 1/2" of water when trout fishing. I thought I should keep the drift sock size smaller than the water depth.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:48 PM   #7
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

Yessir.
I have a Haynie Flats20 which is similar sized flats boat as yours....i have three drift socks as described for drift fishing mid bay reefs.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:53 PM   #8
GULF COAST FISHERMAN
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Yessir.
I have a Haynie Flats20 which is similar sized flats boat as yours....i have three drift socks as described for drift fishing mid bay reefs.
3-48" drift socks?
Old 03-20-2017, 08:40 PM   #9
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

Yessir.
When the wind is cooking and your bait needs to touch shell to catch fish you need em. I even put trolling motor in the water turned opposite direction of travel on go slow to keep her slowed up to fish properly.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:28 AM   #10
GULF COAST FISHERMAN
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Yessir.
When the wind is cooking and your bait needs to touch shell to catch fish you need em. I even put trolling motor in the water turned opposite direction of travel on go slow to keep her slowed up to fish properly.
That's amazing. Thank you for your input sgrem!