Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Rod building forum

Notices

Old 03-19-2017, 08:20 PM   #1
hookemkirk
Registered Users-pm+

hookemkirk is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Power wrapper

Anyone willing to sell they're old power wrapper to a fellow 2cooler ? Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hookemkirk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2017, 08:22 PM   #2
hookemkirk
Registered Users-pm+

Their*** stupid auto correct haha

Old 03-20-2017, 07:12 PM   #3
Big Bay
Registered Users-pm+

Big Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
Lol I'm looking for one too...

Big Bay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 08:15 AM   #4
Col. Kilgore
Registered Users-pm+

Col. Kilgore is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Power wrapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookemkirk View Post
Anyone willing to sell they're old power wrapper to a fellow 2cooler ? Haha.

What kind of power wrapper are you looking for?
Please give me details as I might have what your looking for.
Col. Kilgore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2017, 05:26 PM   #5
hookemkirk
Registered Users-pm+

Best one for a beginner. Making about 20-25 rods a year

Old 03-31-2017, 06:11 PM   #6
Big Bay
Registered Users-pm+

Big Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
If hookem isn't interested im looking for a good one possibly a nice alps about to buy new if I can't find one

Big Bay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2017, 12:32 PM   #7
pg542
Texas Rod Builders

pg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Pirate
Just some thoughts for you guys looking at possibly getting a powered wrapper. I got one years back and I still have it today. Unless you do a lot of under wraps for surf rods (heavy surf chunkers) or big game rods there isn't much need for power, at least for me anyway. I used to build quite a few 10 ft. beefsticks for the beachfront. A lot of them have decorative crosswraps and depending on the crosswrap, I would sometimes underwrap the area where the crosswrap would be. Also I would underwrap where the heavy guides would be, so that the blank would be protected form the guide feet during a fight with a heavy fish, especially roller guides on big game rods. That is all I ever use "power" for. If you are really good with with it and prepare your guide feet well, you can "power" wrap guide feet but I never got thread to lay on guide feet to my liking when using power so I went back to hand turning for more control. When it comes to lighter weight rods such as your typical inshore red/trout rods or bass rods, I don't ever use power. ... I tried and practiced a lot but finally gave up. I still underwrap with it but that's it. Your'e mileage may vary. BTW I use a Custom Power Wrap from Anglers Workshop or Cabela's tackle craft dept. It's a great machine, I just don't use much power. With most of the small single foot guides and especially micro-guides it is impossible to power wrap them with any sort of decent results.

Last edited by pg542; 04-01-2017 at 12:43 PM.
pg542 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2017, 12:43 PM   #8
hookemkirk
Registered Users-pm+

I've had several people tell me the same thing. I just thought it would be a little faster with basic guide wraps.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:59 PM   #9
pg542
Texas Rod Builders

pg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookemkirk View Post
I've had several people tell me the same thing. I just thought it would be a little faster with basic guide wraps.

I tried and tried just see if it could make things faster or easier. I just never could see any advantage and actually seemed to notice a disadvantage. When you get an over run or your thread overlayed another, by the time you notice and lift your foot off the gas pedal, you probably will need to back up about 10 turns to straighten everything out. Ideally a powered chuck should have a speed range of say 0-500rpm with infinite smooth control throughout the speed range especially on startup. Most of them start sort of herky-jerky so getting the first few wraps started can be difficult. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, I just want to tell my experiences with one. At a minimum you need a good quality chuck. Most makers will offer a upgrade chuck. GET IT. Second, direct drive is not your friend. It needs to be belt driven. Small pulley on your motor, larger pulley on your chuck drive. Like I say these are my experiences only.
pg542 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2017, 01:09 PM   #10
hookemkirk
Registered Users-pm+

Understood thanks for me insight man.