is the fishing market (as a market) getting saturated? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 03-15-2017, 02:52 PM   #1
Fishin' Texas Aggie 05
Registered Users-pm+

Fishin' Texas Aggie 05 has been promoted to PirateFishin' Texas Aggie 05 has been promoted to PirateFishin' Texas Aggie 05 has been promoted to PirateFishin' Texas Aggie 05 has been promoted to PirateFishin' Texas Aggie 05 has been promoted to PirateFishin' Texas Aggie 05 has been promoted to PirateFishin' Texas Aggie 05 has been promoted to PirateFishin' Texas Aggie 05 has been promoted to PirateFishin' Texas Aggie 05 has been promoted to PirateFishin' Texas Aggie 05 has been promoted to PirateFishin' Texas Aggie 05 has been promoted to Pirate
is the fishing market (as a market) getting saturated?

This is not meant to discourage competition or stifle new products/ideas

but it just hit me like a ton of bricks after leaving the fishing show. I handled a couple different rods from a few makers and at some point they are all basically the same... Sure, some are more heavy by a few ounces or had a different orientation of rod eyes. But at some point the market can only bear so many $150+(especially $200+) rods and rod makers. The same holds true for all the custom bait makers. At least with that you get some variability in construction of hard baits or plastics with the hooks in them, but the no-hook soft plastic market is very saturated. Even big box stores (went to academy at lunch) has multiple isles of really similar products. There is fierce competition in the baitcaster and spinning reel market and it has to be similarly affected

I love fishing and hunting as much or more than the next guy but as I have gotten a little older the anticipation of the next-best/gotta-have-it lure(rod,reel) is dwindling. On the other hand,maybe its a good sign the fishing industry is expanding and growing. Which would be a good and I guess require more companies to met the supply.

So if this offends any of yall, apologies in advance. I know we all have jobs to do and careers and passions to follow. This was just a simple observation.
Fishin' Texas Aggie 05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2017, 03:27 PM   #2
sharkinaggie07
Registered Users-pm+

sharkinaggie07 has been promoted to Piratesharkinaggie07 has been promoted to Piratesharkinaggie07 has been promoted to Piratesharkinaggie07 has been promoted to Piratesharkinaggie07 has been promoted to Piratesharkinaggie07 has been promoted to Piratesharkinaggie07 has been promoted to Piratesharkinaggie07 has been promoted to Piratesharkinaggie07 has been promoted to Piratesharkinaggie07 has been promoted to Piratesharkinaggie07 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin' Texas Aggie 05 View Post

I love fishing and hunting as much or more than the next guy but as I have gotten a little older the anticipation of the next-best/gotta-have-it lure(rod,reel) is dwindling.
Never underestimate the next generation. The social media marketing directed at the 15-25 demographic is incredible right now and will only continue to grow as companies realize the effectiveness of relatively free marketing via social media. Even though your anticipation has dwindle a bit, there are 100 other "youngsters" ready to take your place in the market.

I understand what you are talking about but I don't see the industry slowing down anytime soon.

Just my 0.02!

-SA
sharkinaggie07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2017, 04:27 PM   #3
Drundel
Registered Users-pm+

Drundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin' Texas Aggie 05 View Post
This is not meant to discourage competition or stifle new products/ideas

but it just hit me like a ton of bricks after leaving the fishing show. I handled a couple different rods from a few makers and at some point they are all basically the same... Sure, some are more heavy by a few ounces or had a different orientation of rod eyes.
Better not be a few ounces difference. No-one will buy a 6'6" M 6 oz. rod these days.

But I see rods still progressing. The thinner/shorter handles and grips, the new design of grips and handles (I like where Alps is going). I can't remember the name of the new guides, but they cost more than recoil, but aren't, and new types of blanks. I'm not a fan of DUCE’S own foregrip hook keeper, but I applaud them for trying something new.

And for those that like bling, lots of ways to add wraps, paint, decals, etc.

As far as hunting, that's pretty easy, the new things are more/realistic movement and for snow geese, putting out more decoys faster and taking up less space.
Drundel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2017, 09:08 AM   #4
Salty_UH
Registered Users-pm+

Salty_UH has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSalty_UH has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSalty_UH has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSalty_UH has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSalty_UH has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSalty_UH has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSalty_UH has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSalty_UH has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSalty_UH has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSalty_UH has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSalty_UH has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
i am in the same boat as texas aggie....after fishing for 2 decades the next big thang just aint of interest...i have my reel preference, custom rod maker chosen due to great customer service and never leave home without my chickenboy....

however, if you spend some time around the eateries and water'n holes on the bay you will see just as sharkinaggie states a large number of "newbies" all sporting 2017 ultra lite rods, just released reels and latest greatest fastest boats

so back to your question is the fishing market saturated, not for the 15-25 demographic, but boy does it look overcrowded to us 35-45 deomgraphic folks!!!!
Salty_UH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2017, 09:37 AM   #5
BBCAT
Registered Users-pm+

BBCAT has been promoted to PirateBBCAT has been promoted to PirateBBCAT has been promoted to PirateBBCAT has been promoted to PirateBBCAT has been promoted to PirateBBCAT has been promoted to PirateBBCAT has been promoted to PirateBBCAT has been promoted to PirateBBCAT has been promoted to PirateBBCAT has been promoted to PirateBBCAT has been promoted to Pirate
Sure it is. But the free market system will weed the slow ones out.
BBCAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2017, 06:42 AM   #6
kenny
Registered Users-pm+

kenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Pirate
It is in the soft plastics & apparel. IMO
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2017, 09:06 AM   #7
troutsupport

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
There's always plenty of people to reach, there's new innovations that solve problems that haven't been targeted or have a better solution to an old problem. Just because a market expands and companies jump in and create essentially the same item touting it as better and improved doesn't mean it's saturated. The lure market was saturated when Paul Brown created the corkies. In 1939 a man exclaimed "everything that will be invented, has already been invented" .. 1939. It all comes down to truly serving the angler and knowing what the need and don't need. Fishing as a community is currently expanding. High Schools are creating fresh and saltwater fishing teams and I find more new people getting into the sport daily. What there is room for is true innovation and serving the fishing community.
troutsupport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2017, 10:27 PM   #8
Marker 54 Lures

Marker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to Pirate
No.. there has not been a significant innovation in the fishing industry in decades. in my opinion the last real innovation came in 1980 when mark from DOA created the DOA shrimp - as a replacement to the traditional Kelly wiggles style "shrimp tout"

Now-a-days There are a ton a remakes of bad design - but actual innovation, very little.

BUT .

The major problem is that fish don't innovate.. fish will eat a paddle tail lure.. so go buy several boxes of Chinese made paddle tails , catch a few redfish and dump in some dollars into marketing. Get a few life time clients who will never fish anything but _______ .. and there you go.

Now with that said , and granted my brain looks at this stuff different, I see significant opportunity to create products in fundamental sectors like , reels , motors , etc.

in my opinion there are bad design principles that for some reason have become standards for the industry - and simply not adhering to those rules allows for actual products that simply will function better. imcoukd write a 30 page essay on my ideas for fishing - and trust me it's very hard not to here.. but I'm learning that what I view as obvious innovation , can also be a decent way to pay the rent.