New to Me Jon Boat - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 03-15-2017, 08:15 PM   #11
gonecoastal89
Registered Users-pm+

gonecoastal89 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingjordan View Post
Read up on jones lake/bay between tiki and bayou vista, greens lake, pierce marsh/Highland bayou, and carancahua lake. I run a 15 ft poling skiff and these are areas I fish regularly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the list.havent heard of a few of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrem View Post
Get a bigger bilge pump or two. Very very unforgiving in a rig that size when you get a wave coming over the side.

Small bay boats that size are self bailing. So they can fill to the top turning their boat into a pool and all that water simply runs out no problem. Yours is not made the same. So please stay very safe. Kill switch and life jacket always. Always.

10-4. Bilge pump is fairly oversized. Boat does have some added foam floatations, but I don't plan on testing it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjweber09 View Post
Also.. be sure to get a decent GPS/Depth finder. I use to fly blind, but I don't recommend it.

I've already installed a Lowrance Hook 5. Just need to get the boat in the water so I can properly place the transducer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerveza View Post
Nice little rig!!!!!!!!!!!! That Yamaha will last you a long time with proper maintenance.

Appreciate it. The plan is to put the pro50 on a new hull in the seeable future. My father is close friends with the man that owned this boat/motor before me. Maintenance has been done meticulously. Motor runs great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gonecoastal89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2017, 06:27 AM   #12
bonkers
Registered Users-pm+

bonkers has been promoted to Piratebonkers has been promoted to Piratebonkers has been promoted to Piratebonkers has been promoted to Piratebonkers has been promoted to Piratebonkers has been promoted to Piratebonkers has been promoted to Piratebonkers has been promoted to Piratebonkers has been promoted to Piratebonkers has been promoted to Piratebonkers has been promoted to Pirate
Your boat does not draft well in the back. By your pictures you provided the stern is about 18" in the water with that "heavy" motor and all the gas and gear you have in the back. You may think about distributing the load better for salt water waves and current. Much more unforgiving than fresh water.
With that deep of a draft water will get in your boat so like Sgrem said get a couple of bilge pumps and buy a manual pump as well. YOU WILL GET SALT WATER in your boat for sure. Have a good GPS, know the weather and your limitations.
The areas you mentioned are good locations for jon boats and kayaks. You will have issues with your draft again though so study Google Earth before you go anywhere and see the history images and how low the water can be in the areas you want to target. (Use the 2010/2011 images)
I do not take my 16' jon boat into the salt water as saltwater destroys everything! I fish my yak in the bays and my jon on fresh lakes when i don't want to take the yak or want to get to other areas faster.
Also buy a new spare prop. You WILL hit shell and rocks at times and a spare prop will help you return to shore easier if you do break or lose yours on the water.
As long as you stay in the low wind areas and watch the weather adn tides to make sure there is enough water to draft in you should be OK. Try the Tiki canals at night for a good time.
Good luck!
bonkers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2017, 11:27 AM   #13
gonecoastal89
Registered Users-pm+

gonecoastal89 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
Your boat does not draft well in the back. By your pictures you provided the stern is about 18" in the water with that "heavy" motor and all the gas and gear you have in the back. You may think about distributing the load better for salt water waves and current. Much more unforgiving than fresh water.
With that deep of a draft water will get in your boat so like Sgrem said get a couple of bilge pumps and buy a manual pump as well. YOU WILL GET SALT WATER in your boat for sure. Have a good GPS, know the weather and your limitations.
The areas you mentioned are good locations for jon boats and kayaks. You will have issues with your draft again though so study Google Earth before you go anywhere and see the history images and how low the water can be in the areas you want to target. (Use the 2010/2011 images)
I do not take my 16' jon boat into the salt water as saltwater destroys everything! I fish my yak in the bays and my jon on fresh lakes when i don't want to take the yak or want to get to other areas faster.
Also buy a new spare prop. You WILL hit shell and rocks at times and a spare prop will help you return to shore easier if you do break or lose yours on the water.
As long as you stay in the low wind areas and watch the weather adn tides to make sure there is enough water to draft in you should be OK. Try the Tiki canals at night for a good time.
Good luck!
I was under the impression that the draft in the stern was by design, since it is a bass style boat. I will try to monkey with the fuel tanks and batteries to see if I can bring it up any. Currently there are (2) 6 gallon fuel tanks in the back. I can probably survive with one.

Also, thanks for the rec on Tiki at night! I was looking for a spot to do some light fishing.
gonecoastal89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2017, 11:34 AM   #14
FLAT FISHY
Registered Users-pm+

FLAT FISHY has been promoted to PirateFLAT FISHY has been promoted to PirateFLAT FISHY has been promoted to PirateFLAT FISHY has been promoted to PirateFLAT FISHY has been promoted to PirateFLAT FISHY has been promoted to PirateFLAT FISHY has been promoted to PirateFLAT FISHY has been promoted to PirateFLAT FISHY has been promoted to PirateFLAT FISHY has been promoted to PirateFLAT FISHY has been promoted to Pirate
I grew up in those areas with a 14 ft and a 35 , go slow until you learn everything .lots of great times and fish tales . get a spot map
FLAT FISHY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2017, 12:28 PM   #15
Bullitt4439
Registered Users-pm+

Bullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to Pirate
Congrats on the new to you rig!

Grew up fishing the bays with a 14x48 Allweld and a 20hp hand till, run a small 14x48 with a 20 tohatsu on the back now so I know the john boat "struggle" all too well.

Running a small john boat in the bays can be dicey if the wind gets sustained above 15+mph.

As you have said, pick your days to fish based upon the weather if possible.

I would check out Christmas and Drum bays as they are relatively small and easily accessible with a small rig. Also Cold Pass.

Be forewarned, Drum has LOTS of hard shell reefs in it so look at the map if you decide to go there. Also there are spots in Cold Pass that have sandbars.

All of the reefs/ sandbars can easily be seen on Bing maps via the satellite view.

Have fun and be safe!
Bullitt4439 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message