Alligator Gar in Tiki canal - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 05-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #11
neal_murph
Registered Users-pm+

neal_murph has been promoted to Pirateneal_murph has been promoted to Pirateneal_murph has been promoted to Pirateneal_murph has been promoted to Pirateneal_murph has been promoted to Pirateneal_murph has been promoted to Pirateneal_murph has been promoted to Pirateneal_murph has been promoted to Pirateneal_murph has been promoted to Pirateneal_murph has been promoted to Pirateneal_murph has been promoted to Pirate
Ive caught a few of them out in the middle of sabine.
neal_murph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 07:04 AM   #12
Smackdaddy53
Banned

Smackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to Pirate
We were fishing for reds in between gigging spots and my buddy caught a 5 footer on live mullet in a back lake. I have seen them "rolling" in lots of bays.
Gar surface and gulp air and use their swim bladder as a makeshift set of lungs when the water is too salty or lacks oxygen.

http://www.fishingscout.com/anglers/SmackDaddy
Smackdaddy53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #13
buckweet
Registered Users-pm+

buckweet has been promoted to Piratebuckweet has been promoted to Piratebuckweet has been promoted to Piratebuckweet has been promoted to Piratebuckweet has been promoted to Piratebuckweet has been promoted to Piratebuckweet has been promoted to Piratebuckweet has been promoted to Piratebuckweet has been promoted to Piratebuckweet has been promoted to Piratebuckweet has been promoted to Pirate
gar

yep, seen some big ones while wading west.

and it is surprising how shallow some of those big ones will get when undisturbed.

once lost a topwater to biggest blowup I had seen besides a school of jacks, if guessed it to be a gar since had seen one hanging around for a couple weeks but never cold slow it down with a small baitcaster..........
buckweet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #14
Lat22
Registered Users-pm+

Lat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to PirateLat22 has been promoted to Pirate
We've got a big one in our canal.
Lat22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #15
eyc0r
Corey C

eyc0r has been promoted to Pirateeyc0r has been promoted to Pirateeyc0r has been promoted to Pirateeyc0r has been promoted to Pirateeyc0r has been promoted to Pirateeyc0r has been promoted to Pirateeyc0r has been promoted to Pirateeyc0r has been promoted to Pirateeyc0r has been promoted to Pirateeyc0r has been promoted to Pirateeyc0r has been promoted to Pirate
Dang dinosaurs

Was kayaking some underwater lights at night a couple weeks ago, and a 5'+ gar swam right through the middle of the light... I was about 20 feet away from him, and I'll be d@mned if he didn't start swimming right at me... Once he got about 3 feet from the boat, he made a sharp 90 degree turn and sat next to me for about 3 seconds... I was in such disbelief, I couldn't decide whether to grab my iPhone in a pouch right in front of me or grab my waterproof camera in one of my rod holders... By the time my confusion ended, the gar took off...

When I say he was 5 foot or more, I guarantee he was closer to 6 foot.... I've seen some big ones in Conroe but never close enough to make a realistic estimate of length... It was very surreal to get an up close view of such a prehistoric looking beast... haha
eyc0r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #16
aguaflaca
Registered Users-pm+

aguaflaca has been promoted to Pirateaguaflaca has been promoted to Pirateaguaflaca has been promoted to Pirateaguaflaca has been promoted to Pirateaguaflaca has been promoted to Pirateaguaflaca has been promoted to Pirateaguaflaca has been promoted to Pirateaguaflaca has been promoted to Pirateaguaflaca has been promoted to Pirateaguaflaca has been promoted to Pirateaguaflaca has been promoted to Pirate
A few years back I caught one over 36" on a red/white shrimptail in between reds while wading near Cedar Bayou.
I didn't really see anything other than gold flashes until I got it close after several long runs, so I thought I had a big bull red. Then it did a tarpon style jump about 15' from me and I almost soiled myself.
aguaflaca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #17
Knotty Fly
Registered Users-pm+

Knotty Fly has been promoted to PirateKnotty Fly has been promoted to PirateKnotty Fly has been promoted to PirateKnotty Fly has been promoted to PirateKnotty Fly has been promoted to PirateKnotty Fly has been promoted to PirateKnotty Fly has been promoted to PirateKnotty Fly has been promoted to PirateKnotty Fly has been promoted to PirateKnotty Fly has been promoted to PirateKnotty Fly has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish_slayer1 View Post
Are you on the canal in Tiki off Paradise with that little section of marsh right next to you? I was talking with a neighbor in Tiki looking at his pool and he sad he regularly sees alligator gar in his canal- he is off Paradise with the marsh section in his canal.

A few years back I saw a gar, I think alligator gar in my over-water lights off my dock. Pretty cool stuff. Was also in Calcasieu and saw a gar right by the wears in the marsh. Cool stuff to be seeing them in saltwater.
WOW, yes we are across the canal from that marsh on Windsond way. The wife just told me see saw one that would go 5+ headed toward that marsh. I guess they are more in saltwater than I thought
Knotty Fly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #18
24Buds
Bull Frog hunter

24Buds has been promoted to Pirate24Buds has been promoted to Pirate24Buds has been promoted to Pirate24Buds has been promoted to Pirate24Buds has been promoted to Pirate24Buds has been promoted to Pirate24Buds has been promoted to Pirate24Buds has been promoted to Pirate24Buds has been promoted to Pirate24Buds has been promoted to Pirate24Buds has been promoted to Pirate
My Dad caught one in the canal of Jamaica Beach back in the late 80's that went 6 foot.

We were all scared to swim in the canal after that....LOL
24Buds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #19
GSMAN
Registered Users-pm+

GSMAN has been promoted to PirateGSMAN has been promoted to PirateGSMAN has been promoted to PirateGSMAN has been promoted to PirateGSMAN has been promoted to PirateGSMAN has been promoted to PirateGSMAN has been promoted to PirateGSMAN has been promoted to PirateGSMAN has been promoted to PirateGSMAN has been promoted to PirateGSMAN has been promoted to Pirate
They are everywhere! I have caught them in clear creek. I have also seined them back in the late 70s off the beachfront.
GSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #20
Mojo281
The Migration Stops Here

Mojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to Pirate
Gar Balls anyone??
Mojo281 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message