Duck Hunters - Christmas Bay - Page 5 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Individual Fishing & Game Reports

Notices

Old 01-08-2017, 05:50 AM   #41
karstopo
Registered Users-pm+

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
I've been out on Christmas Bay in my kayak many, many times during duck season and never once had any run ins with duck hunters. They, the hunters, are pretty easy to spot in a place where the cover runs about 2 feet tall. They have always been nice at the launch if we happen to cross paths.

Paddling a kayak doesn't give anyone special immunity for being in the wrong. Every boat owner I know gets the idea that launching a boat at a ramp should be an efficient and speedy process. A lot of kayakers I've witnessed don't seem to understand this and even worse, don't seem to care.

Then there are the 4 kayakers who paddled to within 15 feet, in open water, of our anchored Blue Wave PB with lines out. AND GAVE US THE STINK EYE. I probably do 80-90 percent of my fishing from a kayak and I still scratch my head about that one.

So what if you paddled 3 miles to get someplace. I do that kind of paddle all the time, but if there is someone already there, I move on. If we show some respect and courtesy, we can all get along. Don't call three shots by duck hunters in a marsh "warning shots" if they simply shot up into the air.
karstopo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 10:46 AM   #42
Blk Jck 224
Topwater Redfish Fanatic

Blk Jck 224 has been promoted to PirateBlk Jck 224 has been promoted to PirateBlk Jck 224 has been promoted to PirateBlk Jck 224 has been promoted to PirateBlk Jck 224 has been promoted to PirateBlk Jck 224 has been promoted to PirateBlk Jck 224 has been promoted to PirateBlk Jck 224 has been promoted to PirateBlk Jck 224 has been promoted to PirateBlk Jck 224 has been promoted to PirateBlk Jck 224 has been promoted to Pirate
I just wanted to post on this fine thread about yackers, warning shots, duck hunting, almost having chitty britches, and stuff...Carry On
Blk Jck 224 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 12:16 PM   #43
Bayscout22
***, Over?

Bayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to PirateBayscout22 has been promoted to Pirate
Cats and dogs...

Lets face it... there are a couple of eternal truths here.

Yakers who go out in super cold weather with howling winds usually have few options after they launch. Sometimes this leads to them rationalizing things like paddling over a reef you are fishing, skating a little close to decoys, or just "paddling through" when it is just wrong.

Duck hunters setup in a particular spot, based on conditions, and have only that option (generally). But honestly, they will be just as POd with guys 150 yards from their spread as they are with someone just "paddling through". I know from experience, a dude in a brightly colored yak with brightly colored paddles splashing the water in the vicinity of my spread is no bueno. I'm cold, hungry, and now I'm pizzed. I find it funny how many times we as hunters (and fishermen) describe things that are "within 40 yards" of us, our decoys, our blind, our boat.

The only answer is common courtesy. Which means, we are all probably screwed.
Bayscout22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 12:44 PM   #44
Mattikins
Mirrolure Semi-Pro Staff

Mattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullyARed View Post
I would not drag my *** out there in a kayak or even a boat at this time of the year and cold weather like this. I rather stay in bed with my wife!
That's what separates the men from the boys, not everyone can go out in freezing temperatures and wade all day and not catch a single fish. Although I sure as heck am not gonna be catching Trout or shooting ducks while laying in bed watching Netflix.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Mattikins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 01:15 PM   #45
MAKAI
Registered Users-pm+

MAKAI has been promoted to PirateMAKAI has been promoted to PirateMAKAI has been promoted to PirateMAKAI has been promoted to PirateMAKAI has been promoted to PirateMAKAI has been promoted to PirateMAKAI has been promoted to PirateMAKAI has been promoted to PirateMAKAI has been promoted to PirateMAKAI has been promoted to PirateMAKAI has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattikins View Post
That's what separates the men from the boys, not everyone can go out in freezing temperatures and wade all day and not catch a single fish. Although I sure as heck am not gonna be catching Trout or shooting ducks while laying in bed watching Netflix.

Men stay home in bed with there wife while boys go out and chase tail

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
MAKAI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 02:18 PM   #46
Mattikins
Mirrolure Semi-Pro Staff

Mattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKAI View Post
Men stay home in bed with there wife while boys go out and chase tail

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Exactly! Lol men know better and stay home us boys know better but refuse to use good judgment. Lol

Mattikins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 03:27 PM   #47
sabiki
Registered Users-pm+

sabiki has been promoted to Piratesabiki has been promoted to Piratesabiki has been promoted to Piratesabiki has been promoted to Piratesabiki has been promoted to Piratesabiki has been promoted to Piratesabiki has been promoted to Piratesabiki has been promoted to Piratesabiki has been promoted to Piratesabiki has been promoted to Piratesabiki has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotSauce View Post
This is not true. It has to be "unreasonable and deliberate interference."

And from a fisherman's perspective, it is frustrating as well dealing with hunters that think they own the right of passage to a marsh lake just by plopping their john boat down and throwing out plastic ducks at the only entrance/exit. There are hundreds of lakes in that marsh. A more educated outdoorsman would've chosen more wisely.

Also worth mentioning is the amount of preparation it takes to go on the trip that I took. 3 miles in kayak at 6 in the morning to turn around... I've done both and I can guarantee you it takes more elbow grease getting that kayak back in the marsh and being prepared enough to have a successful trip.
the duck hunters put in preparation just like you did--
ive been in this situation from both sides-- too many assumtions here--Do you KNOW the shots were to ward you off? sounds like MAYBE at best...

kayaks are hard to see-- esp in twilight time ive been cussed twice in intacoastal waterway (while running my boat) by kayakers that I flat out did not see in low light times of the day. I promptly apologized and went on my way.. ive always wondered why they aren't required to have running lights?
your answer to "trigger happy" idiots is to carry a sidearm? what are you going to do? shoot back at someone who may or may not know your there?

the best thing to do in all situations like this is to just tip your hat and go somewhere else
sabiki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 05:34 PM   #48
Zeitgeist
Whose House? Coog's House!!!

Zeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to Pirate
Where is the fishing report?
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 08:08 PM   #49
Fishing Logic
Making them eat organic polymers

Fishing Logic has been promoted to PirateFishing Logic has been promoted to PirateFishing Logic has been promoted to PirateFishing Logic has been promoted to PirateFishing Logic has been promoted to PirateFishing Logic has been promoted to PirateFishing Logic has been promoted to PirateFishing Logic has been promoted to PirateFishing Logic has been promoted to PirateFishing Logic has been promoted to PirateFishing Logic has been promoted to Pirate
Never posted this story, this seems like a good place. lol Years ago before I had GPS on my boat. Me and a friend were going out in very early in bad fog out of Chocolate. I would use my depth finder to stay in channel and my keen navigating skills. Well I lost the channel thinking I was too far to the left I kept bearing right watching for the depth change. Well I wound up way right and then hear a voice yelling "Hey get out of my spread". While I see no decoys a couple of shots were fired to intimidate I guess. Knowing now I was way too far right I just kept idling back towards channel.
Now to hear my friend that was with me tell the story the guy yells "HEY GET OUT OF MY SPREAD" and we are taking on live fire. We duck in the bottom of boat and I hit the throttle we jump up on plane dragging decoys behind us. LMBO....
Fishing Logic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 08:25 PM   #50
WestEndAngler
Cast & Blaster

WestEndAngler has been promoted to PirateWestEndAngler has been promoted to PirateWestEndAngler has been promoted to PirateWestEndAngler has been promoted to PirateWestEndAngler has been promoted to PirateWestEndAngler has been promoted to PirateWestEndAngler has been promoted to PirateWestEndAngler has been promoted to PirateWestEndAngler has been promoted to PirateWestEndAngler has been promoted to PirateWestEndAngler has been promoted to Pirate
Duck Hunters - Christmas Bay

Reading all this sure makes me glad I have a private lease to go to. I hunted public for 5 years and dealt with hunters on top of me, waders and poling skiffs. In the end they help move the birds too and get rafts up for you to take a shot at. As long as they are aware of your position most everyone keeps a respectful distance. No reason to escalate at situation over a duck or fish.
WestEndAngler is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message