Duck Hunters - Christmas Bay - Page 4 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Individual Fishing & Game Reports

Notices

Old 01-07-2017, 01:13 PM   #31
capone
Registered Users-pm+

capone has been promoted to Piratecapone has been promoted to Piratecapone has been promoted to Piratecapone has been promoted to Piratecapone has been promoted to Piratecapone has been promoted to Piratecapone has been promoted to Piratecapone has been promoted to Piratecapone has been promoted to Piratecapone has been promoted to Piratecapone has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotSauce View Post
This past weekend I was given some warning shots by duck hunters in a marsh area I was paddling through in Christmas Bay that nearly made me **** my pants. Never even saw them or their spread. Just turned a corner and BAM! BAM! BAM! Nearly had a heart attack... (not a duck in sight)

I just paddled around for a few minutes thinking what to do. It was high tide and I have been eyeing a back lake in this area for weeks I knew held good reds and they were set up in the only entrance/exit to this area. I eventually decided it would be in my best interest to just turn around and get away from these trigger happy clowns.

Why not just give me a wave and a holler? I would have been more than respectful of their setup.

From now on, I will not go on a trip during hunting season without my sidearm within reach. It was an unsafe and unsettling feeling being near people like that alone, unarmed, 3 miles from launch, in a kayak.

What would you all have done?

The fact that you had to create a discussion topic on 2 cool shows we have a big problem with people who like to be dramatic rather than sportsman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
capone is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #32
Wedge
Retired and working

Wedge has been promoted to PirateWedge has been promoted to PirateWedge has been promoted to PirateWedge has been promoted to PirateWedge has been promoted to PirateWedge has been promoted to PirateWedge has been promoted to PirateWedge has been promoted to PirateWedge has been promoted to PirateWedge has been promoted to PirateWedge has been promoted to Pirate
I am hard headed

I would keep on fishing. Just me. I have respect for encroachment and I would do the right thing.....but warning shots are over the top. No need for that. A simple, "Hey bud.....we are hunting here.", would suffice and I would apologize and leave the area. But......a warning shot is not effective communication.
These run-ins happen. This is the time of year when they are most prevalent. Show courtesy and respect on both sides. Geez. I know of story where the fisherman later returned and torched the blind. That is not right either.
Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2017, 03:15 PM   #33
Mattikins
Mirrolure Semi-Pro Staff

Mattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to Pirate
We all have to share the public water and we should show respect to one another. A lot of guys that duck hunt also fish and vice versa. Unfortunately some fishermen and hunters are not very courteous.

Do you know how far the hunters were from you? 40 yards? 50? 80? 100? 200?

You "assume" that they were warning shots but you admit to not seeing them so for all you know they could have been shooting at ducks. Maybe they didn't see you either? See how that works? If they were warning shots then that is a different story. If I saw a kayaker coming too close to us (within shooting range) then I would use a duck call, hollar, wave, everything except fire a warning shot. Now if the kayaker refused to change course, go around, etc (if that is an option) or decides to setup right next you then that's another story.

In my previous post regarding those 2 idiots that set up next to us we did all those suggestions (except warning shot) and it still did not work. The 2 guys claimed "We didn't see you." like seriously? Y'all were literally looking at our direction the whole time I was yelling and jumping up waving at you 2. I know I'm wearing camoflauge but I'm not that camoflauge! Then I brought up the 5 dozen decoys that were just there motionless on the water, you didn't see those either? Some people are just stuborn. I posted it (with pictures) on Facebook and my family and a few local guides had a good chuckle.

There is so much water to go around and there will always be that one guy that sets up right next to you even if there isn't another person within a mile of you.

From a safety standpoint I would personally stay at least the effective distance from a shotgun while passing by them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mattikins; 01-07-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Mattikins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2017, 03:50 PM   #34
Whitebassfisher
Retired opinionated old fart

Whitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to Pirate
I sure dislike reading either hunters or fishermen thinking that they have more rights than the other, both are equally legitimate.

Hopefully the hunters weren't aware you were there, and those weren't warning shots. It probably would have scared me too, but it all may have been totally innocent. Even as deaf as I am, sound does carry well over water in some circumstances. Do you have a specific reason to suspect they were warning shots? Or is it possible that the surprise of it just made you think that way?

I have been packing while white bass fishing in Nelson Creek before, and there are duck hunters in the area, but I carry there because the creek runs through Estelle prison property. I think my boat would be very valuable to escapees.
Whitebassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2017, 08:48 PM   #35
whsalum
Registered Users-pm+

whsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Pirate
One of the first lessons my dad taught me years ago was never touch the trigger on your gun if you don't intend to hit what you're shooting at. Warning shots ???? Things like this can escalate quickly, glad no one was hurt.
whsalum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2017, 09:30 PM   #36
longhornbubba
Registered Users-pm+

longhornbubba has been promoted to Piratelonghornbubba has been promoted to Piratelonghornbubba has been promoted to Piratelonghornbubba has been promoted to Piratelonghornbubba has been promoted to Piratelonghornbubba has been promoted to Piratelonghornbubba has been promoted to Piratelonghornbubba has been promoted to Piratelonghornbubba has been promoted to Piratelonghornbubba has been promoted to Piratelonghornbubba has been promoted to Pirate
If you were not there first move along.Gets old when people whine when somebody were in the place they wanted to fish.Get up earlier if you don't like it.
longhornbubba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2017, 10:38 PM   #37
MAKAI
Registered Users-pm+

MAKAI has been promoted to PirateMAKAI has been promoted to PirateMAKAI has been promoted to PirateMAKAI has been promoted to PirateMAKAI has been promoted to PirateMAKAI has been promoted to PirateMAKAI has been promoted to PirateMAKAI has been promoted to PirateMAKAI has been promoted to PirateMAKAI has been promoted to PirateMAKAI has been promoted to Pirate
They have the right to do what? hunt? hunting is not a right if it was you wouldn't be taking your unhappy ***** to go get a hunting license.last I checked the bay was public last I checked I pay taxes to help with the up keep of public water ways in tx last I checked putting a blind on public land means that blind is public. just because you were there first don't mean you have any more PRIVILEGE to PUBLIC PROPERTY then any one else

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
MAKAI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2017, 10:44 PM   #38
Mattikins
Mirrolure Semi-Pro Staff

Mattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKAI View Post
They have the right to do what? hunt? hunting is not a right if it was you wouldn't be taking your unhappy ***** to go get a hunting license.last I checked the bay was public last I checked I pay taxes to help with the up keep of public water ways in tx last I checked putting a blind on public land means that blind is public. just because you were there first don't mean you have any more PRIVILEGE to PUBLIC PROPERTY then any one else

"You don't own the water bro!!!" - Andrew Flair

Mattikins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2017, 10:45 PM   #39
MAKAI
Registered Users-pm+

MAKAI has been promoted to PirateMAKAI has been promoted to PirateMAKAI has been promoted to PirateMAKAI has been promoted to PirateMAKAI has been promoted to PirateMAKAI has been promoted to PirateMAKAI has been promoted to PirateMAKAI has been promoted to PirateMAKAI has been promoted to PirateMAKAI has been promoted to PirateMAKAI has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattikins View Post
"You don't own the water bro!!!" - Andrew Flair

Classic😂😅

MAKAI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 01:22 AM   #40
BullyARed
Registered Users-pm+

BullyARed has disabled reputation
I would not drag my *** out there in a kayak or even a boat at this time of the year and cold weather like this. I rather stay in bed with my wife!
BullyARed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message