Duck Hunters - Christmas Bay - Page 3 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Individual Fishing & Game Reports

Notices

Old 01-04-2017, 08:35 AM   #21
redfish91
Wishin' I was Fishin'

redfish91 has been promoted to Pirateredfish91 has been promoted to Pirateredfish91 has been promoted to Pirateredfish91 has been promoted to Pirateredfish91 has been promoted to Pirateredfish91 has been promoted to Pirateredfish91 has been promoted to Pirateredfish91 has been promoted to Pirateredfish91 has been promoted to Pirateredfish91 has been promoted to Pirateredfish91 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
They were there first so they have the right to hunt there. If you were there first then you'd have the right to fish there. Same thing. Doesn't have anything to do with what kind of outdoorsman they are.

The amount of effort you put into paddling in there means exactly nothing. They beat you there. Get over it. No different than if another fisherman beat you there. I have hunted and fished out of kayaks for over 20 years, I know exactly what goes into it.

Once you know they are hunting there if you stay around close enough to screw up their hunt you are deliberately interfering with their hunt. All I was saying is the best thing to do is move along and leave them alone like you did. Some folks think if they just hang out and fish and screw up their hunt long enough that they will leave. Or maybe they will go confront them and run them off. Either way would be breaking the law and could end up getting you a citation.
They didn't technically beat him where he wanted to go. If they were sitting in the middle of a cut going to a back lake I probably would have just paddled on by them. Same concept in a boat if someone is fishing the middle of a channel to a back lake you want to get to, guess what you're probably going to do...Go on by. So why is it different with duck hunters??
Hunting or fishing a navigable channel, cut, tidal water way(whatever you want to call it.) to a back lake you better get used to it happening. And paddling or going by in a boat isn't against the law at all. (Navigable tidal water ways)
redfish91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2017, 08:50 AM   #22
SBeets
Registered Users-pm+

SBeets is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish91 View Post
They didn't technically beat him where he wanted to go. If they were sitting in the middle of a cut going to a back lake I probably would have just paddled on by them. Same concept in a boat if someone is fishing the middle of a channel to a back lake you want to get to, guess what you're probably going to do...Go on by. So why is it different with duck hunters??
Hunting or fishing a navigable channel, cut, tidal water way(whatever you want to call it.) to a back lake you better get used to it happening. And paddling or going by in a boat isn't against the law at all. (Navigable tidal water ways)
If the hunters were there first and the lake or pond he wanted to fish is not very big then he would be intrupting the hunt which means hunter harassment. It's easier to paddle on.
SBeets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2017, 09:19 AM   #23
redfish91
Wishin' I was Fishin'

redfish91 has been promoted to Pirateredfish91 has been promoted to Pirateredfish91 has been promoted to Pirateredfish91 has been promoted to Pirateredfish91 has been promoted to Pirateredfish91 has been promoted to Pirateredfish91 has been promoted to Pirateredfish91 has been promoted to Pirateredfish91 has been promoted to Pirateredfish91 has been promoted to Pirateredfish91 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBeets View Post
If the hunters were there first and the lake or pond he wanted to fish is not very big then he would be intrupting the hunt which means hunter harassment. It's easier to paddle on.

What you are telling me is no one can drive by in a boat if a fellow fisherman is fishing the middle of a navigable water way due to "sportsman right act"? And don't say it just applies to hunting. Look up the law. It applies to hunting, fishing, trapping. You have to be purposely and intentionally trying to disrupt a hunt/fish or disturb wildlife. The hunters would have no leg to stand on whatsoever, they cannot prove the kayaker had the intention to disrupt a hunt. Why don't you talk to a game warden about it.

And you are correct if the back wasn't very big I totally understand that. But we don't know that because the op didn't specify how big the back lake was or if they were at the mouth of it or right in the middle between bay and back lake or intercostal and back lake.
redfish91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2017, 09:53 AM   #24
iamatt
Work to fish

iamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrem View Post
You never saw them
...they likely never saw you....
....i have been surprised by a kayaker or wader a time or two. Its unnerving for sure knowing things could have been much worse...

Then there are the paddle clowns that will drift thru your decoys.....

Respect and courtesy should always be given...
So true. I used to limit out down there all the time. Now everyone has a kayak these days. Don't duck hunt nearly as much as I used to because don't like running in the dark and adding the boat to the hunt is more of a pain in the ***. Used to be some good spots you could walk into without seeing anyone. Not anymore. I had a blind burned down on that shoreline area a long time ago by I think I know who.
iamatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2017, 09:54 AM   #25
Spec-Rig.006
Registered Users-pm+

Spec-Rig.006 has been promoted to PirateSpec-Rig.006 has been promoted to PirateSpec-Rig.006 has been promoted to PirateSpec-Rig.006 has been promoted to PirateSpec-Rig.006 has been promoted to PirateSpec-Rig.006 has been promoted to PirateSpec-Rig.006 has been promoted to PirateSpec-Rig.006 has been promoted to PirateSpec-Rig.006 has been promoted to PirateSpec-Rig.006 has been promoted to PirateSpec-Rig.006 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotSauce View Post
This past weekend I was given some warning shots by duck hunters in a marsh area I was paddling through in Christmas Bay that nearly made me **** my pants. Never even saw them or their spread. Just turned a corner and BAM! BAM! BAM! Nearly had a heart attack... (not a duck in sight)

I just paddled around for a few minutes thinking what to do. It was high tide and I have been eyeing a back lake in this area for weeks I knew held good reds and they were set up in the only entrance/exit to this area. I eventually decided it would be in my best interest to just turn around and get away from these trigger happy clowns.

Why not just give me a wave and a holler? I would have been more than respectful of their setup.

From now on, I will not go on a trip during hunting season without my sidearm within reach. It was an unsafe and unsettling feeling being near people like that alone, unarmed, 3 miles from launch, in a kayak.

What would you all have done?
Well first I'd have made sure that your claims were real ... if you couldn't see them, their spread, or any birds - there's a dayum good chance this might be assumption and overreaction ...

THEN I'd call the game warden for harassment.

What I wouldn't to - is carry a sidearm looking for a shootout.

Good post cowboy.
Spec-Rig.006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2017, 10:23 AM   #26
iamatt
Work to fish

iamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirate
There some real jackazzes out there. I've had a run in with 3 idiots , hunting solo and shot up some of my decoys down there in the march across from old beach bait and tackle. Said I was in their spot.
iamatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2017, 09:31 AM   #27
Mattikins
Mirrolure Semi-Pro Staff

Mattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
You never saw them
...they likely never saw you....
....i have been surprised by a kayaker or wader a time or two. Its unnerving for sure knowing things could have been much worse...

Then there are the paddle clowns that will drift thru your decoys.....

Respect and courtesy should always be given...
This!!! Was duck hunting and had 2 *** clowns pull up in kayaks 40 yards from where we were hunting. I stood up and started waving and apparently they didn't see me. So we had some ducks working and they saw the bright *** kayaks and the ducks veered away. A couple of minutes later I had a Gadwall come in and I jumped up and stoned it. Went to pick it up and went to have a friendly conversation with those 2 idiots. They claimed that they never saw or heard us. I then replied that they didn't see the blind, the people standing up waving at them, then the 5 dozen decoys in the water just chilling?

Had another idiot kayaker paddle in front of our decoys within 40 yards. He took his sweet *** time passing our decoys. If you are going to disrupt someone's fishing or hunting at least do it in the least disruptive way, ex. Don't go slower than a snail when you are passing in front of a duck hunters spread, have a sense of urgency. If there is room to go around them then put the little extra effort it takes to go around.

I had 1 kayaker that was very kind and paddled in front of us about 100 yards away. From a safety standpoint and a good sportsman's standpoint it makes sense to be courteous to our fellow outdoorsman.

If you were kayaking or wading would you appreciate it if a boat burned right through where you were fishing?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mattikins; 01-07-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Mattikins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2017, 09:42 AM   #28
Toadtrout
Registered Users-pm+

Toadtrout has been promoted to PirateToadtrout has been promoted to PirateToadtrout has been promoted to PirateToadtrout has been promoted to PirateToadtrout has been promoted to PirateToadtrout has been promoted to PirateToadtrout has been promoted to PirateToadtrout has been promoted to PirateToadtrout has been promoted to PirateToadtrout has been promoted to PirateToadtrout has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Well think about what you have said. According to you hunters shooting at you is three cases of attempted murder....no way to take that lightly.

And youre saying it's frustrating dealing with another sportsman That think they have the right to the marsh....roll eyes.

Good lord you are a beat down.
Toadtrout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2017, 12:37 PM   #29
Billygoat
Catch.Fillet.Release

Billygoat has been promoted to PirateBillygoat has been promoted to PirateBillygoat has been promoted to PirateBillygoat has been promoted to PirateBillygoat has been promoted to PirateBillygoat has been promoted to PirateBillygoat has been promoted to PirateBillygoat has been promoted to PirateBillygoat has been promoted to PirateBillygoat has been promoted to PirateBillygoat has been promoted to Pirate
You shoulda called the game warden immediately. Then this post would have some useful information rather than an endless argument where I partially agree with both sides.
Billygoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2017, 12:55 PM   #30
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadtrout View Post
Good lord you are a beat down.
Attached Images

sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message