Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Line Class Forum

Notices

Old 08-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
Jdunn5267
Registered Users-pm+

Jdunn5267 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
What is the best mono for offshore?

Howdy,

I just ordered a truth (release) SG reel yesterday and I haven't yet decided what type of line I want to put on it. I've always used Berkeley big game on all of my offshore reels but with this new reel it has made me start thinking about line selection. So with that being said I wanted to open it up to you guys and ask what is everyone using on their offshore reels? Braid or mono, what brand, and what lb.? Thanks for everyones help and hopefully this is a good topic that everyone will enjoy.
Jdunn5267 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2015, 10:41 PM   #2
Mmc
Registered Users-pm+

Mmc has been promoted to the rank of RiggerMmc has been promoted to the rank of RiggerMmc has been promoted to the rank of RiggerMmc has been promoted to the rank of RiggerMmc has been promoted to the rank of RiggerMmc has been promoted to the rank of RiggerMmc has been promoted to the rank of RiggerMmc has been promoted to the rank of RiggerMmc has been promoted to the rank of RiggerMmc has been promoted to the rank of RiggerMmc has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
I started with Ande. went to Big Game but now i use suffix. I find that Suffix has much better abrasion resistance than Big Game.
I use braid on my jigging rods and mono on everything else
Mmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2015, 10:26 AM   #3
V-Bottom
Cert.Weigh Master,since 1999

V-Bottom has been promoted to PirateV-Bottom has been promoted to PirateV-Bottom has been promoted to PirateV-Bottom has been promoted to PirateV-Bottom has been promoted to PirateV-Bottom has been promoted to PirateV-Bottom has been promoted to PirateV-Bottom has been promoted to PirateV-Bottom has been promoted to PirateV-Bottom has been promoted to PirateV-Bottom has been promoted to Pirate
X2 ^^^
V-Bottom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 01:23 AM   #4
matagordamudskipper
Registered Users-pm+

matagordamudskipper has been promoted to Piratematagordamudskipper has been promoted to Piratematagordamudskipper has been promoted to Piratematagordamudskipper has been promoted to Piratematagordamudskipper has been promoted to Piratematagordamudskipper has been promoted to Piratematagordamudskipper has been promoted to Piratematagordamudskipper has been promoted to Piratematagordamudskipper has been promoted to Piratematagordamudskipper has been promoted to Piratematagordamudskipper has been promoted to Pirate
Momoi diamond braid and Momoi mono is the best I have used(20# to 100#).
matagordamudskipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2016, 10:24 PM   #5
SaltwaterTom
Fat Hookers Fishing Team

SaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to Pirate
I tried Sufix Tritanium a few years ago when we were still surf fishing. It was great UNTIL it got stressed. After that, it broke like thread. After I had hauled in a big mass of sargassum, I kept breaking the line when I tried to tie a new knot on my leader. I had to discard about 100 yards of line to get to "unstressed" mono. Ande's is too soft for my liking. I get a new mile of 30 pound Berkley Big Game for Christmas every year and start the New Year with fresh strong line on my Squalls and TLD. On my smaller (Abu Garcia spinning and Orra) reels, I use Magibraid blue 30 pound Spectra. Made in the USA, no failures yet.
SaltwaterTom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2016, 04:23 PM   #6
Fin Reaper
Money Pit

Fin Reaper has been promoted to PirateFin Reaper has been promoted to PirateFin Reaper has been promoted to PirateFin Reaper has been promoted to PirateFin Reaper has been promoted to PirateFin Reaper has been promoted to PirateFin Reaper has been promoted to PirateFin Reaper has been promoted to PirateFin Reaper has been promoted to PirateFin Reaper has been promoted to PirateFin Reaper has been promoted to Pirate
braid jerry brown or power pro....
mono suffix or momoi

30 to 50 lb is more than enough for most youll be looking for. if you fish around rigs you might bump up one size since the line abrades more on the structure.
if youre fishing deep look to braid to fit the bill.

i load braid on everything i own and load top shot of mono.
Fin Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2016, 09:37 PM   #7
TrueblueTexican
Registered Users-pm+

TrueblueTexican has been promoted to PirateTrueblueTexican has been promoted to PirateTrueblueTexican has been promoted to PirateTrueblueTexican has been promoted to PirateTrueblueTexican has been promoted to PirateTrueblueTexican has been promoted to PirateTrueblueTexican has been promoted to PirateTrueblueTexican has been promoted to PirateTrueblueTexican has been promoted to PirateTrueblueTexican has been promoted to PirateTrueblueTexican has been promoted to Pirate
Jinkai or Ande Perfection

Both are very abrasion resistant
TrueblueTexican is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2016, 07:15 AM   #8
Ficking
Registered Users-pm+

Ficking has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Ficking has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Ficking has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Ficking has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Ficking has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Ficking has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Ficking has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Ficking has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Ficking has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Ficking has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Ficking has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
i have never thought about this question, good one! I hope I'll find here the answer too!
Ficking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2016, 11:48 PM   #9
Big Guns 1971
Registered Users-pm+

Big Guns 1971 has been promoted to PirateBig Guns 1971 has been promoted to PirateBig Guns 1971 has been promoted to PirateBig Guns 1971 has been promoted to PirateBig Guns 1971 has been promoted to PirateBig Guns 1971 has been promoted to PirateBig Guns 1971 has been promoted to PirateBig Guns 1971 has been promoted to PirateBig Guns 1971 has been promoted to PirateBig Guns 1971 has been promoted to PirateBig Guns 1971 has been promoted to Pirate
I like Bull Buster brand
Big Guns 1971 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message