Duck Hunters - Christmas Bay - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Individual Fishing & Game Reports

Notices

Old 01-03-2017, 05:32 PM   #1
HotSauce
WEAR A LIFE JACKET

HotSauce has been promoted to PirateHotSauce has been promoted to PirateHotSauce has been promoted to PirateHotSauce has been promoted to PirateHotSauce has been promoted to PirateHotSauce has been promoted to PirateHotSauce has been promoted to PirateHotSauce has been promoted to PirateHotSauce has been promoted to PirateHotSauce has been promoted to PirateHotSauce has been promoted to Pirate
Duck Hunters - Christmas Bay

This past weekend I was given some warning shots by duck hunters in a marsh area I was paddling through in Christmas Bay that nearly made me **** my pants. Never even saw them or their spread. Just turned a corner and BAM! BAM! BAM! Nearly had a heart attack... (not a duck in sight)

I just paddled around for a few minutes thinking what to do. It was high tide and I have been eyeing a back lake in this area for weeks I knew held good reds and they were set up in the only entrance/exit to this area. I eventually decided it would be in my best interest to just turn around and get away from these trigger happy clowns.

Why not just give me a wave and a holler? I would have been more than respectful of their setup.

From now on, I will not go on a trip during hunting season without my sidearm within reach. It was an unsafe and unsettling feeling being near people like that alone, unarmed, 3 miles from launch, in a kayak.

What would you all have done?
HotSauce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2017, 05:55 PM   #2
Stevie_A
Registered Users-pm+

Stevie_A has been promote to GunnerStevie_A has been promote to GunnerStevie_A has been promote to GunnerStevie_A has been promote to GunnerStevie_A has been promote to GunnerStevie_A has been promote to GunnerStevie_A has been promote to GunnerStevie_A has been promote to GunnerStevie_A has been promote to GunnerStevie_A has been promote to GunnerStevie_A has been promote to Gunner
I believe using their duck call would get your attention, no need to give warning shots.
Stevie_A is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2017, 06:10 PM   #3
Brian Castille
Texas Aggie Fisherman

Brian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to Pirate
What if they were shooting at a coot on the water? Or a low flying duck that you couldn't see? Maybe it just seemed like it was directed at you. If someone was really firing a "warning shot" at me, I would call the law.
Brian Castille is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2017, 07:58 PM   #4
HotSauce
WEAR A LIFE JACKET

HotSauce has been promoted to PirateHotSauce has been promoted to PirateHotSauce has been promoted to PirateHotSauce has been promoted to PirateHotSauce has been promoted to PirateHotSauce has been promoted to PirateHotSauce has been promoted to PirateHotSauce has been promoted to PirateHotSauce has been promoted to PirateHotSauce has been promoted to PirateHotSauce has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Castille View Post
What if they were shooting at a coot on the water? Or a low flying duck that you couldn't see? Maybe it just seemed like it was directed at you. If someone was really firing a "warning shot" at me, I would call the law.
3 shots to hit a coot? I don't know about that.

I immediately looked around in every direction to see what they were shooting at and saw nothing. I have a good eye for birds. Grew up an avid duck and bird hunter. That was before I learned to fish.

Just three consecutive shots. From the same gun. Sounded like they were straight in the air as I couldn't get a direction on them. (didn't hear BBs flying by or see any wads in the air)

Quote:
You never saw them
...they likely never saw you....
....i have been surprised by a kayaker or wader a time or two. Its unnerving for sure knowing things could have been much worse...

Then there are the paddle clowns that will drift thru your decoys.....

Respect and courtesy should always be given...
I was wearing a bright blue rain jacket and a highlighter yellow life vest. Grass wasn't high and my kayak was sitting in high tide. Their blind was pointed straight in the direction I was coming from with a line of sight down the bayou. If they didn't see me coming, they don't look around much for guys that were hunting.

And to be honest, there's no way to know for sure, but it was a pretty creepy ordeal. Got my heart going and nearly my bowels. Just wanted some thoughts from my fellow 2coolers.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:29 PM   #5
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
You never saw them
....i have been surprised by a kayaker or wader a time or two. Its unnerving for sure knowing things could have been much worse...

sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2017, 10:57 PM   #6
Trophytrout_47
Registered Users-pm+

Trophytrout_47 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrem View Post
You never saw them

Those paddle clowns are bad at the ramp too. I've never seen so many trucks taking up boat ramp parking in all my life, or sitting in chairs in front of the ramp🤣🤣🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Trophytrout_47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2017, 08:53 AM   #7
iamatt
Work to fish

iamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirateiamatt has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
You never saw them

So true. I used to limit out down there all the time. Now everyone has a kayak these days. Don't duck hunt nearly as much as I used to because don't like running in the dark and adding the boat to the hunt is more of a pain in the ***. Used to be some good spots you could walk into without seeing anyone. Not anymore. I had a blind burned down on that shoreline area a long time ago by I think I know who.
iamatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2017, 08:31 AM   #8
Mattikins
Mirrolure Semi-Pro Staff

Mattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
You never saw them

This!!! Was duck hunting and had 2 *** clowns pull up in kayaks 40 yards from where we were hunting. I stood up and started waving and apparently they didn't see me. So we had some ducks working and they saw the bright *** kayaks and the ducks veered away. A couple of minutes later I had a Gadwall come in and I jumped up and stoned it. Went to pick it up and went to have a friendly conversation with those 2 idiots. They claimed that they never saw or heard us. I then replied that they didn't see the blind, the people standing up waving at them, then the 5 dozen decoys in the water just chilling?

Had another idiot kayaker paddle in front of our decoys within 40 yards. He took his sweet *** time passing our decoys. If you are going to disrupt someone's fishing or hunting at least do it in the least disruptive way, ex. Don't go slower than a snail when you are passing in front of a duck hunters spread, have a sense of urgency. If there is room to go around them then put the little extra effort it takes to go around.

I had 1 kayaker that was very kind and paddled in front of us about 100 yards away. From a safety standpoint and a good sportsman's standpoint it makes sense to be courteous to our fellow outdoorsman.

If you were kayaking or wading would you appreciate it if a boat burned right through where you were fishing?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mattikins; 01-07-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Mattikins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2017, 06:50 PM   #9
Salty Dog
Registered Users-pm+

Salty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to Pirate
Are you certain they didn't just shoot a duck or shoot at a duck? That sure sounds like what was going on from your description. But you never know.

One thing you did right was leave them alone. Be careful about getting too close. There are laws that protect hunters from harassment by others. If they are hunting and you try to do anything to interfere with their hunt or screw up their hunting you could end up getting yourself in trouble.

In that situation the best thing you could do is just what you did. Leave. And then call the game warden if you feel like they were doing something wrong. Let the game warden sort it out. Last thing you want is to get into a verbal altercation with some guys who you know have guns, doesn't matter if you have one or not. It ain't worth it. There are plenty of other places to fish. Chances are they will be finished and gone well before lunchtime and you can go hit that back lake you were wanting to fish.

I have been a duck hunter all of my life and I have had fishermen and kayakers screw up hunts on more than a few occasions. From the hunter's perspective it is frustrating when you get there early, get all set up and are hunting and someone comes pulling right up on you to fish and then they just don't care that they are messing up your hunting or worse want to get into a verbal altercation over who has the right to be there. It happens alot. I usually will holler at them and let them know they are too close and that we are hunting. Sometimes they honestly just didn't know we were there. Many times fishermen and kayakers think they have some sort of right to be there above the right of the hunters to be there hunting. You'd be surprised how bad non-hunters can be. But like I say, if you interfere with the hunt in any way then you are breaking the law.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2017, 08:08 PM   #10
HotSauce
WEAR A LIFE JACKET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
But like I say, if you interfere with the hunt in any way then you are breaking the law.
This is not true. It has to be "unreasonable and deliberate interference."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
From the hunter's perspective it is frustrating when you get there early, get all set up and are hunting and someone comes pulling right up on you to fish and then they just don't care that they are messing up your hunting or worse want to get into a verbal altercation over who has the right to be there.
And from a fisherman's perspective, it is frustrating as well dealing with hunters that think they own the right of passage to a marsh lake just by plopping their john boat down and throwing out plastic ducks at the only entrance/exit. There are hundreds of lakes in that marsh. A more educated outdoorsman would've chosen more wisely.

Also worth mentioning is the amount of preparation it takes to go on the trip that I took. 3 miles in kayak at 6 in the morning to turn around... I've done both and I can guarantee you it takes more elbow grease getting that kayak back in the marsh and being prepared enough to have a successful trip.