2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Cocodrie next weekend

1K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  gotmuddy 
#1 ·
A couple buddies and I are going to Cocodrie next weekend for the first time. I want to go out to the islands but 20mph wind is definetely going to stop that so looks like marsh fishing is going to be the name of the game. Any helpful hints?

#2 ·
I go down a few times a year but in the winter time to chase big bull reds in the marsh. Cant really help you on the spring patterns but I'd find an older map of the area and fish where the islands used to be before the hurricanes. I always hear of people doing really well around the old marsh islands.

#4 ·
I'm not sure what size boat you are going to be in but from Fornation islands (due east) to cow island and more south towards the north side of the barrier islands can be somewhat protected or rough depending on wind direction. If not too rough you could also run to sulphur mines or you could also drift some reefs in Bay Sainte Elaine. Your usual suspects for trout will all work, mostly soft plastics with about 1/4oz. You can catch reds everywhere in the shallow marsh between Cocodrie and Dulac on spoons and spinner baits. The south side of the barrier islands is just starting to heat up but in full effect next month through August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I'm not sure what size boat you are going to be in but from Fornation islands (due east) to cow island and more south towards the north side of the barrier islands can be somewhat protected or rough depending on wind direction. If not too rough you could also run to sulphur mines or you could also drift some reefs in Bay Sainte Elaine. Your usual suspects for trout will all work, mostly soft plastics with about 1/4oz. You can catch reds everywhere in the shallow marsh between Cocodrie and Dulac on spoons and spinner baits. The south side of the barrier islands is just starting to heat up but in full effect next month through August.

we will be in my shoalwater stealth so unless the weather is pretty calm the barriers be out. thanks for the info, I was planning on getting in the moderately large lakes, then falling back to the marsh and looking for clean water.

#5 ·
Only been to Cocodrie once, years ago. Limit was 50 trout. The guide took us to several platforms in the Gulf in maybe 15 feet of water. Got our 200 trout pretty quick. You had to use speck rigs, catch them two at a time, to bend your pole. We caught a pair of two-pounders, by far the biggest trout, and we tagged and released them, which was a mystery to the guide in those days. The rest of the trout were 12-14 inches. No size limit.

#9 ·
I am not sure where you are staying but go talk to ol' coonpop at the tradewinds marina and he will be happy to offer advice. Just ask for the guy who invented the coonpop. Also, redfish can be found on just about every point, drain, cut and shelf. Also, I found that the wind and currents funnel thru this marsh in a funky manner so you may have to do a little running to find clear water.

#12 ·
we are staying at cocomarina. I will get with them though

Yes you can see it on google earth. Due east of Cocodrie, It's Fornation, spell check changed it to formation. If you want more help/details PM me your number.

thats a long way out in unprotected water, probably a no go this trip. my tentative plan was to head west and north if its windy. ill pm you my number.

You have the wrong boat for trout this time of year. Unless you can catch a school moving out of the marsh under birds. The big water gets nasty if the wind kicks up. There are red fish anywhere there is water moving, but enjoy your trespassing ticket if you get off the main canals.

is the land posted? Louisiana has some backwards laws for sure...owning marsh?

#11 ·
You have the wrong boat for trout this time of year. Unless you can catch a school moving out of the marsh under birds. The big water gets nasty if the wind kicks up. There are red fish anywhere there is water moving, but enjoy your trespassing ticket if you get off the main canals.

#15 ·
I don't think you'll have to worry about a trespassing ticket. There is a lot of water in the area and hardly any boats. the last time we were there we fished pelican bay, California bay and bay blanc. Its a fairly long run but easy to do it. I did it in a poling skiff with a 40hp tiller so you'd be there in no time! There are plenty of protected channels for you to get there. Also, cell service is spotty so be prepared. In some areas the cell service works fine and you can use your phone to find and run channels. Other times its nonexistent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.