2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Shoepick Fish

9K views 34 replies 23 participants last post by  Roger 
#1 ·
My bud here at work targets these fish. The question I'm asking are these fish good eating.

See less See more
#5 ·
Is that like a.....

Beaverfish. Blackfish. Choupic. Choupique. Cottonfish. Cypress trout. Dogfish. Grindle. Grinnel. Grinner. Lawyer. Mudfish. Poisson-castor. Scaled ling. Shoepick. Shoepik. Shoepike. Shupik. Speckled Cat?????

#22 ·
Choupique....

Sorry guys...gotta disagree here. That fish is excellent eating ....assuming you know what to do with it.

My grandmother made a living selling this fish making all sorts of stuff with it. The key is to keep it really fresh....

Its is excellent fried... and if you fillet properly bones are not an issue....

For the best flavor....heat the frying pan,,,catch the fish, fillet it...and drop right in the grease! Yummy!

Peeshnuck

#24 ·
Choupic are good to eat. Used to catch them in the swamp canals on crawfish, shrimp, and even sometimes beef heart. They are good fried, but like someone said you have to eat them fresh or the meat will get soft and mushy. Another way is to make boulettes (balls) and fry those up....C'est Bon....

Choupic are tough, powerful fighters and will mangle a spinnerbait to pieces while you're thinking you have the hawg of a lifetime pulling you around. After mangling said spinnerbait, they are also known to display incredible acrobatic skills when introduced to the sharp edge of a paddle moving at high speed.

Anyone know where a boatless person can catch a few from the bank?

SwampRat

#25 ·
I caught one when I was about 7 or 8, I was fishing for Bream for my dad to use on trot lines for catfish. I was using your standard ole' trusty cane pole w/ nylon line, just a perch jerking away and Bamo!! that sucker got on there, broke my cane pole, but I got him in, biggest fish I ever caught at the time. My dad said that I was reared back like a mule trying to get that fish in! I forget how big it was, but to a 7 or 8 year old - a true trophey, and great memory of about....27 years!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.