2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

GENERATOR FOR ONE LIGHT

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  stxhunter 
#1 ·
i was wondering how big of generator do i need to run just one light for myself..any suggestions??

#7 ·
No, you won't need 2000, but you may need additional juice as a "buffer" some things that are powered require additional wattage to "start up". if you had a 1K generator powering a 1K light, would probably trip the breaker.

Go 2K and you have some versatility. That size will also come in handy during a hurricane as well. I have a 2900 watt and can run 2 fridges, a chest freezer and a 500 bottle wine cabinet.

#9 ·
The Honda EU2000i is probably the best small generator out there
. Small, quiet, and you can power your laptop off it without problems. I have powered 2, 1000 watt lights off mine, but it sure didn't like it. Try to allow yourself at least a 25% buffer. (2KW genset, 1500 watt load)

#10 ·
I run a EU2000 watt generator to power my 1000 watt stage light. With the eco switch on the generator only runs as much rpm needed to power the light which is a little over half throttle and it makes it really quiet. I looked around online and found one on sale for like $750 with no tax and free shipping good luck.

#11 ·
Well remember when they rate the generators at 2000 watts that is usually the peak running time when the engine and everything is at that perfect point. What people do not realize is that generators have what they call a continous running wattage that is usually lower than the peak. I can tell you that the honda eu2000 can handle that one light and run very quiet to the point you can hold a conversation without yelling over it.

#13 ·
Any generator will work, just make sure it's rated for more than what you need it for. If its just one 1000watt light, then it needs to be more than a 1000watt generator. That way you not only get the full power from the light but you also won't push your generator too hard and burn alot of gas.

#16 ·
The 1000 watt bulb uses about 8 amps so you can run a 500 watt bulb too with the smaller generators. Rem the start up takes a little more juice so plug each one in separately using two different cords.

One night I had more fish under the 500 watt bulb than the 1000 watt one. There is a px of my set up somewhere. For the baby cat I have a piece of conduit 8 feet tall or how ever tall so you can reach to fine tune the lights. a piece of aluminum angle that mounts to this and two lights mounted to the top so they can move up and down and side to side.

I have an old 1990 Honda 2200 generator that powers the set up. Probably need a pad of some type for the generator to set on.

#17 ·
Last weekend at a softball tournament, we used the Honda EU 2000 to power 8 laptops, 8 monitors, 2 nine inch fans and a dye sub printer. The only time the generator would kick it into high gear was when we sent something to the printer.

Very gas efficient. I had a 6 gallon boat gas tank connected to the generator with 5 gallons of gas. The genrator ran all day from 7:30 to about 8:30pm - never a bobble. I added a couple of gallons to the tank for the following day just to make sure it didn't run out of gas. It didn't. The generator is still full and there is about 3 gallons of gas in the boat tank. Ready to do it again this weekend.

Did I mention it is very quiet...and it weighs 45#.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.