2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

When is it too rough for surf fishing?

39K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  cva34 
#1 ·
I just check the forcast for galveston area for this week. Looks like 10-20 mph winds and seas between 2-4 ft most of the week. Of course day to day both vary. With the spring fishing busting open all over, I don't want to waste time fishing bad conditions. Is there a wind/sea level that is a no go for surf fishing? Is there a condition that is preferred?

#2 ·
Depends a lot on target species and how you are fishing. It also depends on wind direction as well as velocity. If the wind is blowing straight onshore or offshore you can fish a stronger wind than a side or quartering. A side or quartering wind creates a longshore current and it is difficult to get baits to stay out.

Generally, I don't surf fish a 20 mph wind. It looks like winds and seas are going to settle Thursday through Friday.

#3 ·
you never know unless you go...

I agree with scrambler, it very much depends on species and fishing tactics... you're not gonna be tossing arties to trout in chocolate 5-7' surf... however, you **** sure might catch some bull reds in those conditions

you are just going to have to figure out what tolerance you have for different conditions... might get more specific answers with more specifics regarding how you fish and what you fish for. Paddling large shark baits? Casting fresh dead shrimp? Looking for trout?

#6 ·
for me if i cant get a 10oz pyramid weight or an 8oz spider weight to hold on the bottom then i will usually say to heck with the surf, and go fish the pier, or just hang out and relax, for me wind is just one of those things you gotta deal with, as long as you can keep a bait in the water, then its a fishable day

#8 ·
definetly worth a shot, 10-15 mph winds from the south east should be great fishing, i DO NOT like north winds, but that southeast wind should work for you, it will blow the bait fish more into shore thus bringing the game fish in with it, so i would definetly hit up the surf

#14 · (Edited)
When does spring break start? Might be something to consider depending on where you are going.
I like to use a claw weight in windy conditions, caught a couple of reds on fresh dead shrimp just south of Bob Hall last week at marker 244. There was just a small bit of grass to deal with but no real problems. The bite started about 11:a.m. before that hard-head, hard-head did I mention hard-heads but they left about the time the reds showed up.
Bob

#15 ·
Over the years, I have learned that conditions for big reds are perfect when you have 10 - 15 knot winds and 2 - 4 ft. seas from the southeast. Anything above that can be uncomfortable and a lot of work though and you can still catch a lot of reds.

Stay home if the winds are from the northeast to easterly direction and at 15 knots. You will have trouble keeping your baits down. Also very high winds blowing from the southeast might make it impossible to drive the beach.

A good fisherman will learn how to adapt to the conditions and still catch fish when conditions are less than perfect - This is usually the case. I don't care about being a good fisherman anymore so I just wait until the weather is nice. LOL!

#18 ·
Too Rough.....NOT!!!

Draper,
I try to fish at every opportunity...Winds up to about 25mph...That can require a
8-10 oz sand sinker or not depending upon the winds direction...With wind in that
range safety considerations requires a jet ski or a rod-n-reel combination that can
cast "8 and bait".
Most times there ARE 20lb + fish to be caught in the surf...Sometimes they are a
little harder to catch than at other times.
Everyone has to decide what their comfort level is for fishing in the surf or off a
pier...What ever you decide...Fish every time that you can....You cannot catch
fish w/o baits in the H2O.
Mustad7731
Jackie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.