2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Best bearing oil

11K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  cpthook 
#1 ·
I ran out of Shimano and I like to clean and lube the bearings between major cleaning.

Thanks in advance!

#17 ·
No problem with plastics or rubber, but all I use it on is Boca Lightning 5 spool bearings. What I also like about it is I dunk the bearing in a small bottle cap full of 301, let it drain and spin, and then install. None of the guessing what a small drop is for me, just dunk the spool bearings and it works. I have not tried the 321, only 301. On the big anti-reverse bearing, I use a combo of shimano oil and grease. Like someone else mentioned, the AlanTani forum has a section on lubricants on their reel cleaning forum, and at last I checked Tani uses 301.

#18 ·
No problem with plastics or rubber, but all I use it on is Boca Lightning 5 spool bearings. What I also like about it is I dunk the bearing in a small bottle cap full of 301, let it drain and spin, and then install. None of the guessing what a small drop is for me, just dunk the spool bearings and it works. I have not tried the 321, only 301. On the big anti-reverse bearing, I use a combo of shimano oil and grease. Like someone else mentioned, the AlanTani forum has a section on lubricants on their reel cleaning forum, and at last I checked Tani uses 301.
"Best Bearing Oil" is not so simple to define as different bearings use different lubes to help them function best.

1. Spool Bearings that affect best top casting speed: TSI 321 (301 has powerful solvents that are not plastic safe. 321 is pure lube.) Can be found online from SmoothDrag or Scott's Penn Parts. Very fast, very durable.

2. Bearings that you simply want to protect best from corrosion (ie level wind or roller bearings that see a lot of salt): Corrosion-X. Inexpensive and outstanding corrosion protection. Can also be used to remove corrosion.

3. Bearings that you want ultimate protection for, but don't need speed (ie handle shaft bearings): Marine Bearing Grease.

4. Anti-reverse bearings: Very light grease or Corrosion-x. Don't over do it. Shimano Clutches should be clean and dry.

#15 ·
I think best is relative. I have been using the lowest viscosity I could find for a while. I've had days when by noon it felt like I needed to reapply. I think I'm now looking for a little higher viscosity that will last a full day of fishing. I don't know the name of what I've been using. I bought it at FTU probably 8-9 years ago. I saw it once on a chart similar to what is posted on page 1 of this post and it was a 4. I've been putting a drop of the Daiwa 18 oil followed by a drop of the low vis stuff. It has worked well for me. I'm going to be trying Lucas, Royal Purple and Reel X this spring to see if I like any of them over what I'm using. Will probably end up using one of them cut with Rem Oil to lower the viscosity a little.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.