2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Rockport/Shamrock 8-7/ 8-8

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  fishanywhere 
#1 ·
Had a tough trip last weekend and was not going to post it but then thought maybe it would help others to deciede where NOT to go.

The following area's were fished with Croakers, Piggies, and dead shrimp.
NO keepers caught anywhere.

Long Reef and closest reef, Carlos Bay, Dunham , Blackjack shoreline,
and Kontiki shore.

Shamrock Island, 2 rigs in SA bay.

Rat Reds at Dunham with dead shrimp and Dink trout (to 14-1/2")
on piggies at Shamrock. Game warden checking at Wilson Cut and he said I was the 5th boat in and there has been 0 keepers.

I had a tough time getting the hardheads to bite. Water was warm as a bathtub. Tough trip but nice to be on the water.

Screammmmmming Drags,

Gowdy

See less See more
#2 ·
Shamrock area...

Six of us fished that area the last weekend in July and had about the same results. We could catch nothing from the boat drifting the flats in Shamrock cove. We really had to slow down and wade to catch any keepers and even then the keepers were pretty slow to come. One evening we did find some solid trout in a hole, but after five or six they were gone. That same evening my dad broke off two reds due to using Big Game line instead of P-Line. We moved outside of Shamrock one evening and caught six keeper reds, broke three off, and had several that were too small. Same conditions the next three evenings produced very few. That area can be good, but when it is dead it is extremely dead.

#3 ·
Since we are on the topic of past reports, my father and I fished that area the last week of July and did extremely well. We were fishing around some of the wells is corpus bay (shamrock area) and we caught about 50 trout. The first 20 we kept and after we had our limit we started catching bigger fish. We didn't wan't to leave them biting since we had't gotten into a bite like this in some time so we practiced catch and release on about 30 trout. All the fish were anywhere from 15-23in. It was amazing, I didn't even have to work my lure. As soon as it hit the water, BAM. I even caught a 28' blacktip on a bone-diamond norton bull minnow. It was an increadible morning.

#4 ·
Thanks Jeff

Thanks for the reply Jeff. You are so right on the Hot / Cold.
I was out there a couple weeks ago and did good.

When you said you caught your Reds on the "outside", are you fishing the drop off? I saw little grass over there.

Gowdy

#5 ·
my dad fished the shamrock are on the same saturday you did. 12 keeper reds on live mullet, a few rats, and two keeper trout. Using big game incidentally, not P-line, no breakoffs. Someone breaking off fish on big-game must not have a decent drag or doesn't know how to set it...or fight fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.