Tarpon spinning set up - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Texas Tarpon

Notices

Old 06-15-2017, 10:42 PM   #1
artys only
Registered Users-pm+

artys only has been promoted to Pirateartys only has been promoted to Pirateartys only has been promoted to Pirateartys only has been promoted to Pirateartys only has been promoted to Pirateartys only has been promoted to Pirateartys only has been promoted to Pirateartys only has been promoted to Pirateartys only has been promoted to Pirateartys only has been promoted to Pirateartys only has been promoted to Pirate
Tarpon spinning set up

What spinning rod can I get at FTU to set up as a tarpon rods ? 7.5 or 8'
What line class 30 to 50 .

Already looking at 6000 size reel

Throwing coonpops or plugs mostly .

New to the tarpon game . Have caught several smaller ones but want a good set up .

Thanks
artys only is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 09:45 AM   #2
Pooner
Registered Users-pm+

Pooner is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
FTU has a Rod that they built specifically for tarpon fishing think it's 7ft. Guys at FTU will know if you ask. I'd slap a Sustain 6000 or a Cabo 60 with 40 lb braid.
Pooner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 10:06 AM   #3
Scott A
Registered Users-pm+

Scott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to Pirate
Seven foot rod is fine. Longer is better, but dealing with the longer rod and having room on the boat to cast, etc. are all considerations.

As far as reels go, you need to think about cost vs. long term durability and what you'll be happy with. If you are throwing coon pops, I'd suggest not going with a spinning reel. Level winds are best. I'd suggest a Calcutta CT700B. I use spinning set up for throwing smaller baits, like DOA style baits. I don't throw plugs. Lose too many fish and too many hooks flying around. Coast Hawks are great but we don't use those much anymore either.

Using a spinning reel, you pay for what you get. Long ago I realized I was replacing top dollar spinning reels every three or four years. I decided to spend twice as much and never have to replace one. Van Staal makes awesome reels. Best spinning reel made in my opinion and the best drag on a spinning reel made. I've whipped 90 lb yellowfins in less than five minutes and 140 lb tarpon in under fifteen minutes with a Van Staal VSB250. Van Staal has some newer reels out. The VM275 looks like a great reel. I am going to pick one up and try it as a spare. Will let you know.
Scott A is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2017, 05:18 PM   #4
artys only
Registered Users-pm+

artys only has been promoted to Pirateartys only has been promoted to Pirateartys only has been promoted to Pirateartys only has been promoted to Pirateartys only has been promoted to Pirateartys only has been promoted to Pirateartys only has been promoted to Pirateartys only has been promoted to Pirateartys only has been promoted to Pirateartys only has been promoted to Pirateartys only has been promoted to Pirate
Picking up a 6000 penn clash .remcommend from a guide buddy from Florida , I have room in my boat for a 7.5 or 8' rod . I have bait caster set up already with wind spinners seam to be an better option , freind also recommend 30 to 50 lb class rod , just not sure on Brand , I have FTU local to buy from , but would like some brands or models to look at .

Thanks for the info .
artys only is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2017, 09:00 AM   #5
tarpon98
Registered Users-pm+

tarpon98 has been promoted to Piratetarpon98 has been promoted to Piratetarpon98 has been promoted to Piratetarpon98 has been promoted to Piratetarpon98 has been promoted to Piratetarpon98 has been promoted to Piratetarpon98 has been promoted to Piratetarpon98 has been promoted to Piratetarpon98 has been promoted to Piratetarpon98 has been promoted to Piratetarpon98 has been promoted to Pirate
I recently bought a clash 6000 with 50lb braid . Haven't tried it on tarpon yet but it did great on amberjacks and a 71 lb wahoo on its first trip. Drag worked awesome.
tarpon98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM   #6
FTAC03
Registered Users-pm+

FTAC03 has been promoted to PirateFTAC03 has been promoted to PirateFTAC03 has been promoted to PirateFTAC03 has been promoted to PirateFTAC03 has been promoted to PirateFTAC03 has been promoted to PirateFTAC03 has been promoted to PirateFTAC03 has been promoted to PirateFTAC03 has been promoted to PirateFTAC03 has been promoted to PirateFTAC03 has been promoted to Pirate
I've built a set of 7.5' Heavy Action 1-3oz 15-40lb spinning rod. These rods are awesome for throwing coon pops at Tarpon. I run mine with a 6000 series stradic loaded with 30lb braid. This setup works really well for jigging snapper and pitching for Cobia on the surface. It's a rare day that I don't bring it on the boat, because you just never know what you might run into. I'll post some pics but if you're interested I sell them at $225. They are just about indestructible as well.

***Edit*** For some reason those wraps show yellow, but they are in fact chartreuse with blue. It shows really nice and doesn't really look like it does on my screen.
FTAC03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM   #7
Cavjock97
Registered Users-pm+

Cavjock97 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I use a G Loomis PGR944S Heavy Fast Action Spinning Rod with a Stradic 6000FI and 30 lb Power Pro. Leader is 6' of 60lb. Seaguar tied with an FG knot to the power pro. I like throwing lighter soft plastics, jigs and rat-l-traps. This rig seems to work well.
Cavjock97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message