2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Colorado Elk

4K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  justletmein 
#1 ·
Got drawn for Unit 711 4th season. My first time and gonna DIY. Any pointers appreciated. Unit is 820 square miles and don't even know where to start yet LOL. I've got a paper map incoming and plan to use GPS apps though but don't want to rely on them. What can you guys tell me about this?

#2 ·
Used to hunt elk in the area between Ridgeway and Telluride with some success 25 years ago. Weather can change quickly so be prepared for heat to freezing during
October-November. Topographic maps, 1:25,000 if available, and compass. Hot chocolate much better for internal warmth than coffee. Contact Colorado Division of Wildlife for advice on that specific unit.

#5 ·
Oh God please don't tell me that lol.

Couple maps on the way but I'll be looking for even better options, got a little time for that I suppose.

Get there 2 days early to get used to the altitude, you will thank me if you do
Can I just hold my breath a lot on the drive up there? :D

#7 ·
I hunt southern CO a lot, but not that area. You could call the CPW office in Durango and ask to talk to Game Warden or Biologist. You might learn something on the hunting atlas, there is a Game species layer that might help you focus on some elk concentrations;

http://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/index.html?app=HuntingAtlas

Go to this page and download the Southwest Regional hunt guide;

http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/BigGameHuntGuides.aspx

One problem with the late hunts is if there is a normal or above normal snowfall the elk will migrate downhill, which is often time mostly private land. Be sure you get maps that show land ownership. It generally helps to be in shape, but there is not much you can do to prepare for altitude, getting there early should help. If the elk migrate before or during your hunt it will probably bring them down from 9000-11000 feet to 7000-9000 feet, and that is a big difference.

Good luck!

#9 ·
Are you doing this solo?
x2 on jrabq's post. You'll be surprised at how much advise the biologist or gw will give you. Don't forget to ask about where to set up your camp.
Have you ever shot an elk? How do you plan to get it out of the woods to your camp?

#11 ·
Your post said 4th season. E-F-711-03-R Nov 5-13 ? If that's correct then it's 711 only? As said arrive early to scout and acclimate to altitude. Drinking lots of water helps with altitude adjustment. Go to the Colorado DOW website and study up, tons of info, maps, etc. ATV's have to be registered but it's easy and for a small fee ($25.25 last year online) at cpw.state.co.us/bg/OHVpermit. Online big game brochure can be accessed and downloaded at cpw.state.co.us/BG/Brochure I wouldn't rely solely on forums for rules and regs. Get the brochure. When you first get there lay off alcohol and again drink lots of water. Good luck, be safe, and shoot a big one.

#13 ·
If you're just getting started hunting elk in CO as a NON-RESIDENT you will probably need preference points to draw an either sex rifle in that area. You can figure out how many points you'll need by looking at drawing statistics and success on the website. That same area you're going to hunt is open to non-res for over the counter ARCHERY tags. That means you just go to the DOW offices and purchase your archery tag any time during the season, no preference points needed, no advance drawing, just the either sex fee. Four weeks of archery season, and if you go at the right time the rut will be on and the bulls bugling. I archery elk hunt the western slope and love it. The end of August to the end of September when it's hot and humid here you may encounter hot days and cold nights in CO. I've got two photos of LABOR DAY elk camped in the National Forest, one year in shorts and t-shirt, the other year in snow so heavy you can barely see. Once you learn your way around 711 on this cow hunt you may want to consider a future bow hunt. Again good luck and be safe.

#14 ·
Oh wow didn't know that thanks for the heads up. Yeah as a Texan I have no idea what to expect as per weather but in November I'm planning for cold and I'll be over prepared. I plan to put in a lot of leg work for future info, if I get lucky and make a kill I'll consider it a bonus. I had no idea how much property there was in 711, it's huge.

#15 ·
DIY elk hunt in Colorado..........been there, done that and wont do it again without a horse or atv. After coming from zero elevation in Corpus to the mountains of Colorado, hiking all day trying to get away from humans, you will need a horse or atv just to get your own butt back to camp, much less 200 lbs of elk meat.

My advice is find an outfitter that will set up a drop camp for you in the unit. You can find them for less than $1,000/week and all you need to bring is a sleeping bag and gun. They will often leave a horse or check on you every two or three days to help retrieve game.

Don't make your first elk hunt miserable by thinking "I'm in shape and will get use to the elevation" like I did. Spend a little money to get some local knowledge and insight or you'll be paying triple to hunt on private land the next year!

#17 ·
I need the exercise anyway. Maybe I should bring a teenager to sherpa for me. :D

Hunted years in 71 and hunted in shirt sleeve weather to minus 15 degrees. Always late season hoping for snow so animals would come down to me. Hot and dry animals stay way high, cold nasty snow they come down which is what I like. Hunted primitave areas of BLM land no vehicles. Not fun packing a big elk out. Found best way when you can is drag them (after quartering) in rugged plastic bags. At times they will pass you up.
Hmm that's an interesting idea I hadn't thought about.

#16 ·
Hunted years in 71 and hunted in shirt sleeve weather to minus 15 degrees. Always late season hoping for snow so animals would come down to me. Hot and dry animals stay way high, cold nasty snow they come down which is what I like. Hunted primitave areas of BLM land no vehicles. Not fun packing a big elk out. Found best way when you can is drag them (after quartering) in rugged plastic bags. At times they will pass you up.

#18 ·
Quick elk hunt story:
Got drawn for WY elk. Got a guide. Hunted an area where atv's weren't allowed. After a couple days finally shot a dandy. Killed it around 10AM. After the obligatory pics and skinning and quartering it was now about 1 PM so we started loading the meat in backpacks. Each backpack was about 75 lbs. No horses to help.
We walked UP to where his truck was about a mile and half. The plan was to go back and get the rest along w/ the head - the head (antlers) have to be the last thing to leave.
Well, we were both spent by the time we got to the truck. So had to go back the next day to get the rest of the meat and the head/antlers.
I was really surprised at how heavy just the head is. And really cumbersome to put on your back and carry out as well. You hit every friggin' branch along the trail.

note - before leaving with the first set of meat I took my sweaty shirt off and covered the remaining meat and head in hopes that the scent would throw off any scavangers. It worked. Then next day while walking to get the last of the meat we crossed paths w/ a mountain lion. Pretty cool

** my guide also had about 10 knives. When I asked him why so many knives he said they go dull quick and skinning and deboning w/ dull blades makes for an even longer day. FYI

#19 ·
Since you appear determined to do this by yourself (and good for you!) I'll offer up some more advice.

On the late hunts the cows will almost all be herded up, so if you find elk you might have many options to shoot. Instead of picking out the biggest one, shoot a medium or smaller cow. A yearling cow will eat great, will not be as big a chore to pack out, and will still probably be bigger than any deer you've shot. You will sometimes hear advice; "Don't shoot the lead cow", because these can be very old and tough animals, although I have never experienced that. Be careful and don't shoot more than one animal (it happens a lot). Elk are tough, unless you spine one or hit high shoulder they are probably not going to drop on your first shot. So be careful if you make a follow-up shot, don't shoot a different cow.

For butchering an elk:
1) A sharp knife you know how to re-sharpen (I carry a small steel), or a replacement blade type knife (Havalon, etc.)
2) Google "gutless method" and memorize it.
http://www.elk101.com/videos/gutless-video/
There are lots of variations of this, all work. Getting the tenderloins out is a bit tricky without another set of hands to put pressure on the gut sack and clear up some space. Some people will leave the leg bones in the quarters (makes them easier to handle), but I almost always remove them, the weight is significant. I usually leave the shoulder blade in as it doesn't weight much.
3) If you go gutless method make sure to use high quality game bags, it is harder to keep the meat clean.

For packing out an elk:
1) Meat-hauler type frame pack.
2) good walking poles.
3) time, and water/gatorade.
4) know your limits; may be better to take 3 trips with 50 lbs than 2 trips with 75 lbs.

Getting 1 or 2 miles away from the crowd is often as far from the road you need to go, and I've packed out many elk by myself at those type distances. But there is a big difference in 2 miles and 5 miles, especially if you are by yourself. And terrain/elevation can make a huge difference, obviously.

Good luck!
JR

#21 ·
That's excellent info thank you. I was reading about the sex proof a couple weeks ago, looks like I'll be ok skinning the rest of the HQ out and leaving that patch on/attached. I should be good on the quartering and packing, obviously tiny in comparison but did up to 1 mile pack outs with 6 antelope last year and got pretty quick with them. Been doing gutless + tenders for many years packing out deer on public land here. Got the frame pack and game bags covered, distance to the truck and terrain will be variables for some of the details of course. I'm really glad you mentioned not shooting the biggest one lol that literally hadn't crossed my mind at all and makes a ton of sense especially if I'm a good ways to the truck.

I can't freaking wait to grill up some Elk heart strips, get more excited about it every day.

One thing specifically I may need help with is if there's snow on the ground, boots and equipment and such. Being a Texas boy I figure that's the most foreign thing to me and if my feet get wet or cold I could get into some trouble a few miles out, alone.

#22 · (Edited)
Oh heck yeah good boots are a must. I had the sole of a boot freeze solid and break off one time. Try walking in ice and snow with the sole of your boot taped on with duct tape. Aint good and very slick. Mite look into getting yourself some "gators". Thats protection that goes up to almost your knee for snow.

#24 ·
X2 on the gaiters. Get fleece or something that will be quiet, not noisy nylon. That late in the year the rut should be over but I would carry a cow call.
We hunted east of there at 9,000 feet. I would be looking for meadows to stake out early in the morning and back in the dark timber later. Get good equipment and get in decent shape. Might even look for a emergency locator device if you will be alone. Take the ATV.
Read this old magazine article and prepare yourself to leave before the weather gets too bad. I was hunting very close to where this happened and was snowed in for 2-3 days.
http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/survival/2011/02/stranded-rockies?page=0,0

#26 ·
Get good equipment and get in decent shape. Might even look for a emergency locator device if you will be alone. Take the ATV.
10-4. I have a PLB for running around on the coast, wonder if that would suffice for an emergency out there. I need to get the 4 wheeler off the island at the coast and get a trailer but the more I think about it the more I want it with me just in case I end up in over my head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.