2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Will it Rain?

2K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  Rubberback 
#1 ·
Last three chances of rain I got nothing. I was positive I'd get some rain on the last one. Nope it swayed to the east. Just missed me.
I just looked and the weather guru's say its gonna start in 83 minutes.
How in the heck can they claim this?
I sure hope its true though. PRAY for RAIN!

#7 ·
Nothing! Its 90 in New York. I bet those yankees " No Offense Dick" are freaking out. I don't think they have the Humidity like we do.
I know one thing Dick I would like to have the summers you have vs here. It does get hotter than 2 he!!s with a lid on it here.
I just sit under a tree and eat cold watermelon and throw the rines to the chicken's.
Just hope my melons grow. Their not doing chit.

#8 ·
I checked the radar after RB's post....and looked to me like the NWS had good reason for predicting the first rain around noon....but it fell completely apart and nothing shows at all now.

When they made that prediction, it looked like Bryan was getting a good shower and it was moving your way, RB.

Its blowing like a hurricane here...so somewhere a good storm is fixing to happen.

#9 ·
I checked the radar after RB's post....and looked to me like the NWS had good reason for predicting the first rain around noon....but it fell completely apart and nothing shows at all now.

When they made that prediction, it looked like Bryan was getting a good shower and it was moving your way, RB.

Its blowing like a hurricane here...so somewhere a good storm is fixing to happen.
O lord! I just want some H2O.

Attachments

#12 ·
56442 ..... We got .23" of rain last night. Not much, but our temps haven't been above the 60s lately so we aren't getting much evaporation. More rain is forecast for this weekend.

The forecast also has near freezing temps for tonight so I've held off on my planting of the peppers and tomatoes until next Monday. All of my started, potted plants are still lookin great, but I can tell that they at itchin to get into the ground.

RB..... your tomatoes look wonderful! They should be turning very soon for the big ones.

Lark.... The 7 Texas 1015 onions are still doing OK. Not a lot of growth because the ground is still quite cold, but they have greened up nicely.

Killed a total of 5 cutworms now, Lost some lettuce and radishes to them.

#14 ·
Agua

I fired up the sprinklers this morning, didn't want to but by Sunday some of my corn might quit altogether. I let some of it get too dry already. Still no guarantee we will get it either. If we do great, it will about be enough to finish everything out. Everything is putting fruit on now so a good drink and then hopefully shut it off and let the plant take care of the rest. Last year with all the rain everything seemed washed out. The tomato's were flat tasting to me and we only picked cucumbers twice, they would make little ones then drop them every time it rained. Anyway I picked a couple of squash I missed yesterday and cranked up the water. I have a bunch of quail that found the garden, I guess they smelled the water. Plenty of little green and yellow flying beetles for them to eat. I saw this morning the baby Martins were flying already. Butcher Birds were raiding the houses yesterday and I witnessed a murder in progress. Those dang things are mean.
Pictures: One of these are my Tomatillo plants, I actually have three tomatillo's on one. The bees were all over them but they just won't do nothing. That one corn stalk sure looks like field corn to me. I have some other weird looking ones as well and a lot of suckers or whatever they are called that shoot out the side if the stalks and tassel, guess it's from stress.

Attachments

#15 ·
Wado - I'm jealous of your corn. I've been babying my tomatillos since planted and they're loaded with blooms. In years past, this is as far as they got - blooms dropped, no tomatillos. Plants are beautiful though - we'll see.

Our best chance in SE TX is Sunday with 90%. Not seeing a drop out of the current 40% prediction.

Picked some zucchini and jalapenos.

Have some leaf curl on some of the tomato plants but hoping for the best. Watered with compost tea last night.

Replanted a row of carrots - didn't come up. Wife ordered more seeds. This will be the 3rd planting but she loves her carrots.

The chickens must have eaten some of our replanted okra sprouts. They were up but gone now. We love okra at my house, fixed several different ways.

No pictures, rarely carry my cell phone to the garden. Our nights are just now being consistently in the mid-seventies. I'm wondering if I mulched too soon.

Live and learn, love to do it though.

#16 · (Edited)
Hit and Miss

I think the tomatillo's are a waste of real estate, maybe the bees will help. I planted some of my corn two weeks later towards the back of the garden that didn't get any nitrogen fertilizer and it's not doing squat. I poured the water to it but it just stays yellow and stunted looking. I thought I had too much nitrogen in my soil now I think it's the other way around. Rain would be way better than well water at this time.

Did I mention the wind is screaming down here? Where I watered this morning is all but dried up.

#22 ·
I think the tomatillo's are a waste of real estate, maybe the bees will help. I planted some of my corn two weeks later towards the back of the garden that didn't get any nitrogen fertilizer and it's not doing squat. I poured the water to it but it just stays yellow and stunted looking. I thought I had too much nitrogen in my soil now I think it's the other way around. Rain would be way better than well water at this time.

Did I mention the wind is screaming down here? Where I watered this morning is all but dried up.
May have plenty of N, but it can get locked up for several reasons. pH issues or over fertilized. Would test your soil before you add anything.

#20 ·
I'm coming back as a Weather Guru! But now the guru's are saying 50% in the morning that means no rain. LOL! Then in the after noon 90%.
Man I need some Miracle grow bad. Lots of maters but they won't be slicers without some Miracle grow from God.
Pray for rain.

#28 ·
Couple of inches without it coming in a storm.... can't beat that!

It's been raining here in Minnesota too. We are down in the Twin Cites area for the weekend to watch Grandkids playing sports. Saturday games were rained out. 2 more games today. Over an inch or 2 here, but I don't know yet what we got back home, up north.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.