2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

How's your canning season going?

5K views 54 replies 17 participants last post by  Deadhead 
#1 ·
I didn't get into canning much until just the last few years and have really enjoyed the rewards of eating garden veggies year around. So much to learn, and haven't really scratched the surface yet.

This season so far pickled beets, potatoes, and carrots have been processed with much more to come.

Would love to see your canning pictures...or hear about your methods because I have a lot to learn. It's almost become a lost art...my grandmothers, mother, and aunts forgot more about canning than I will ever learn.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It all looks great Lark. Pickled beets have always been one of my favorites.

Probably the strangest canned item I have had, was pickled Crab Apples that my Grandma made every year. They had a huge Crab Apple tree in their yard, that gave way more little apples than all of us could possibly eat. I wish that I had her recipe. It was a sweet pickling process and they were wonderful. She didn't use food die so the apples did turn brown in the jars, but their flavor was right on.

Lark, don't forget to pickle some green beans. I just opened a new jar 2 days ago and put 6 beans and about 2 Tbls of the juice in a Bloody Mary. The beans were still crunchy.... Gotta try it.... You will be Happy, Happy, Happy!

#3 ·
...Lark, don't forget to pickle some green beans. I just opened a new jar 2 days ago and put 6 beans and about 2 Tbls of the juice in a Bloody Mary. The beans were still crunchy.... Gotta try it.... You will be Happy, Happy, Happy!
I'm definitely planning on it, Dick. Have some special long asparagus beans that are about 8 inches high and growing fast. Looking forward to pickling them.

#5 ·
Yes, only my second year for canning potatoes. First year was kind of a test sample...and they were so good decided to do a lot more this time.

We give them an ascorbic acid bath to preserve color/freshness and pressure cook. They are as good 1 year later as they were fresh...but they get eaten pretty quick so can't say much about taste beyond a year.

#10 ·
#15 ·
We do some combo jams here as well. Red raspberry/Blueberry....Strawberry/Rhubarb/

Our favorite, and that of friends and family is still the unblended Boyne Red Raspberry jam. We are already freezing Rhubarb sauce, but any other canning is still a minimum of 6 weeks away.

Canning is time consuming, but the personal satisfaction that you get from the finished product quality, that can't be purchased, far outweighs the demands of the project.

#18 ·
We do some combo jams here as well. Red raspberry/Blueberry....Strawberry/Rhubarb/

Our favorite, and that of friends and family is still the unblended Boyne Red Raspberry jam. We are already freezing Rhubarb sauce, but any other canning is still a minimum of 6 weeks away.

Canning is time consuming, but the personal satisfaction that you get from the finished product quality, that can't be purchased, far outweighs the demands of the project.
I think red raspberries are the best of the berry family when it comes to taste Richard. Just wish TX A&M would get off their arse and develop one that could handle our hot summers and develop a avocado that could handle sub cold winters.

#17 ·
Never had much luck with jams and jellies. Have dewberries and wild plum juice in freezer. Would love some insight on how to do it. My jelly always comes out too runny. What's your secret....if you don't mind sharing your method and recipe. Thanks.
I use Sure Jell pectin and follow recipes inside of box. The jams and jellies have always turned out good.

#23 ·
The lines get very fuzzy but no matter what you call it...its all good!

Of the three types Pico, Salsa, and Picante, here's how I always looked at it: Pico de Gallo is always served raw and has fresh chopped, chunks of tomatoes, onions, peppers, cilantro, and lime juice for marinating. We eat "tons" of pico de gallo in season. Salsa can be raw or cooked and is generally thiner and mild whereas picante is cooked, thicker, and generally much hotter with chili peppers.

During season, we have fresh Pico almost every day and we go very light on the cilantro and heavy on the jalapenos...just depends on your taste.

#22 ·
The texture of the sauce. The picante is made mainly for a dipping sauce.I used a food processor to make the picante. It came out perfect for dipping.
Plus, its a bit hotter than salsa.
I'll hand chop the veggies for salsa so it will be more chunky. The picante is like a sauce served at a Mexican Restaurant. That's all.

#28 ·
Did 8 pints of salsa today. I'm going with quart jars for my next batch. I ate a pint of picante in one day the other day. I'm stepping up.
I pressure cook my canning stuff.
I found one can that didn't seal correctly so I'll eat that one next.
I usually tighten the lids and push on the top to make sure they sealed right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.