Sheldon Reservoir - Page 5 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Fresh water forums > Freshwater Fishing General Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-23-2017, 12:33 PM   #41
roninrus1
Registered Users-pm+

roninrus1 has been promoted to Pirateroninrus1 has been promoted to Pirateroninrus1 has been promoted to Pirateroninrus1 has been promoted to Pirateroninrus1 has been promoted to Pirateroninrus1 has been promoted to Pirateroninrus1 has been promoted to Pirateroninrus1 has been promoted to Pirateroninrus1 has been promoted to Pirateroninrus1 has been promoted to Pirateroninrus1 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by redexpress View Post
I think they eliminated the rule on 9.9 and below. I believe you can launch anything and run anything but only at idle speed. Like you say...a jon boat and trolling motor will cover it.
The word back in the day was when the zoo had too many gators they brought them to Sheldon. I don't if that's true.
Yeah we lived on White Cedar and then Stillington in Woodforest West. It just got a bit too intense.
I remember when Uvalde was a terrible 2 lane humped back road. We used to ride bicycles from Oates Prairie down Wallisville Rd. to the YMCA before Wallisville was paved. Dang I'm OLD!
Got a couple of years on you, I'll be 70 in August. And you Woodforest guys are too rich for an old Galena Park boy! I even married a Cloverleaf girl 51 years ago and still together.
Also old enough to remember freezing with Dad and an uncle duck hunting in Sheldon. On Pineland an old beer joint, the Pineland Club, rented boats to hunt and fish from. Don't ever remember any camo but they still killed ducks. It was one of those trips for a little kid that you couldn't wait to go on and couldn't wait to get home to get warm.
And calling Uvalde terrible is too nice. That asphalt would heat and flow in the summer and the humps move around. At least the tank-trap holes pretty well stayed in about the same places.
Around '74 gators were on the endangered species list so they brought their "surplus" from Herman zoo to Sheldon. We watched them put several in but the real issue was they were 6'-8' class and almost hand fed all their lives. They had no fear of people who they thought were there to feed them.
We got a new "55 Chevy in '55. Going east on Wallisville from Maxey a couple of miles was a huge muscadine vine over the shell road. Dad would park the car under the vine, Mom put a quilt on the car roof and my younger brother and I picked the grapes to make jelly with.
roninrus1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2017, 08:19 PM   #42
redexpress
Registered Users-pm+

redexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirate
I never did it but my younger brother would skip school and sneak shoot geese on Les Downey's place across Hwy 90 from the reservoir. I don't think he ever asked the Downeys, but they were old family friends and probably wouldn't care. When there wasn't much out there all those old families were good friends. Downeys had a smoking hot daughter too. A bit older than me.
Wallisville Road between Oates school and 610 had a boat ramp section on it. Seemed like 45 degrees. Herman Pendley took his 63 Chevy airborn on it, all 4 wheels. I don't know how fast he was going, I was in the back seat, but way too fast.
What was the name of that hardware store on 90? My Dad fly fished a lot...Sheldon and Luce's. People who never seen one would ask where to get one and Dad would send them to.....White City Hardware. Dad somehow ended up with a new fly outfit every spring.
My dad got shot in those woods off Wallisville between Federal and Uvalde. Rabbit hunting at night with a friend. 22 shell entered his neck exactly between the 2 collarbones, followed a collarbone and lodged in his ribs. Rushed to the Tidelands hospital. Doc watched him overnight and just left it in. Made an interesting x-ray.
I got a lot of tracks around there...a lot of them barefoot.
I was 28 years old when I moved to Woodforest. I grew up in OST Acres...Oates Prairie. We thought anybody that had sidewalks and a brick house lived in River Oaks!
redexpress is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 06:23 AM   #43
roninrus1
Registered Users-pm+

roninrus1 has been promoted to Pirateroninrus1 has been promoted to Pirateroninrus1 has been promoted to Pirateroninrus1 has been promoted to Pirateroninrus1 has been promoted to Pirateroninrus1 has been promoted to Pirateroninrus1 has been promoted to Pirateroninrus1 has been promoted to Pirateroninrus1 has been promoted to Pirateroninrus1 has been promoted to Pirateroninrus1 has been promoted to Pirate
When White City Hardware closed down a guy (I worked with at Armco years later) bought all the fishing stuff for a lump sum. When I worked with him he would bring boxes of lures to work for us to pick thru.
When I was 10, I bought a True Temper fly rod from Tipton's Hardware for $10 with lawn mowing money. Tipton's was still on Market at the time. When fly fishing Sheldon near Garrett Rd. people would stop and ask what I was doing. They had never seen anyone flyfish before. Only flies I used for poppers.
Les Downey always seemed like a real nice guy. There was a place on SW corner of Pineland Hwy 90 intersection that sold beer. Dad always stopped after leaving the res for a cold one. Saw Downey there some and got to know him a little. Never saw his daughter, sounds like my loss. Dang ice-cold root beer sure was good after a morning of wading. The fields on both sides of 90, on south side of res, were rice fields. No businesses then.
With you on the bricks and sidewalks!

Man, this could go on for days.

Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM   #44
Harbormaster
To Endeavor to Persevere

Harbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to Pirate
We used to come in from East Mount Houston Rd. and duck hunt the North border of Sheldon. Some fast action when they started pouring in to roost. One evening I shot a beautiful greenhead and wounded it. It swam through the fence onto the refuge. I went after it as I didn't want to shoot it again and tear it up. I chased it till it was almost too dark to see, so I went ahead and shot it.

We loaded up the 14 foot john bote and headed back to the truck on the side of the road. We got everything in the truck and George (Friend of my dads) had to take his waders off cause they had a leak. As he was taking them off a truck went by and his headlights lit us up enough for the 3 car loads of wardens to see us. They had us on the ground spread eagle while others were searching the truck. They took us to jail in Humble to see Judge Lee for shooting after legal shooting time.

They threw us in the drunk tank with all the filth and puke...nasty place. Finally Judge Lee came in and we went before him. I told him what happened and he said, "Son how old are you?" I told him I was 15 and he looked at the bailiff and said, "We need to talk!"

He said, "Next time leave the duck, something will eat it!" George paid the $60 fine and we went back to get our straps that were hanging on a stump.

I've got lots of stories of that area too.
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM   #45
Harbormaster
To Endeavor to Persevere

Harbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to Pirate
Anybody remember this bait stand on East Mount Houston Rd.?
Attached Images

Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM   #46
roninrus1
Registered Users-pm+

95!!!!! Congratulations are in order for you Sir!
I won't even try to compare numbers of memories.
The was a fellow named Norman Smith who lived in the same area as the bait stand.
BIG COON HUNTER with a pack of outstanding hounds.
He was our barber in Galena Park and his shop was on Holland near our house on 11th.
Grew up coon hunting with him. He passed at home while taking a nap, around 1968.
We were to hunt that night.
Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM   #47
roninrus1
Registered Users-pm+

You old timers, like me, may have seen my old 4x4 Scout at Sheldon in the late 60's. Body was orange and the top was painted as an American flag. Horizontal red and white stripes with blue with white stars around the windows. Big peace symbol on the tailgate and text that said "Stop The War, Nuke Hanoi". Not exactly the everyday peace symbol!
Old Today, 03:50 PM   #48
redexpress
Registered Users-pm+

redexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirate
Dang this almost a reunion. Only bait shop I can remember was named maybe Luties?. Seemed it was on 90 at Greens Bayou. It was a looong time ago. There was another one around there I guess later. I barely remember somebody robbing the bait shop and killing the owner. I can't remember if it was Luties or another one.
Les Downey...him and Edith were very good friends of my folks. Daughter named Sharon. They were pretty well off. Had the land on the south side of 90 and a big ranch up around Madisonville I think. Les is who gave his brothers money to start Downey Bros. Homes. For whatever reason we shopped a good bit on Lyons Avenue. Not really a lot of choices other than Galena Park. So I'm about 8 years old sitting in the barber shop on Lyons Ave. waiting my turn. Les Downey is getting his hair cut, he leaves and the barber starts talking about him and how rich he was. Barber asked me if I know who that was....sure, Les Downey. I thought the barber was gonna choke or cough up a hairball or something. Funny the stupid little things you remember 60 years ago.
Ehhh.....should I tell this?......what the heck...my Dad and his brother grew up with hunting dogs in the Louisiana river bottoms. They were into coon dog field trials around here...back in the 1940's--1950's. My uncle owned a kennel. Whenever Roy & Dale came for the rodeo they kenneled Bullet at my uncles. They all became good friends and Roy usually wanted to go hunting with them. My folks didn't talk about it much but would always say Roy & Dale were the nicest most down to earth folks you could know. They usually had a big barn dance for them at Downeys. I'm thinking this would have been late 1940's, maybe early to mid 50's.
Lots of old stories from back then.
Old Today, 08:40 PM   #49
tdgal
Registered Users-pm+

tdgal has been promoted to Piratetdgal has been promoted to Piratetdgal has been promoted to Piratetdgal has been promoted to Piratetdgal has been promoted to Piratetdgal has been promoted to Piratetdgal has been promoted to Piratetdgal has been promoted to Piratetdgal has been promoted to Piratetdgal has been promoted to Piratetdgal has been promoted to Pirate
Brew2 Sheldon

I grew up off of Wallisvile road in Channelview, My dad used to drop us off at Sheldon reservoir for a day of fishing. We would fish all day, sometimes we walked around to the back side. Learned to watch for gators might fast !!!! Caught a lot of bass and crappie out of that hole.

As we got older we drove out there and took a jon boat and trolled around fishing, always launched at Garrett road parking lot. Never had any issues of course we had an old hand-me down beat-up GMC farm truck. LOL

Good luck where ever you go.
tdgal is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Today, 09:37 PM   #50
redexpress
Registered Users-pm+

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/lylel...villeroad.html

Would have been more appropriate for the local boy Rodney Crowell to have sang it.