2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Edible Sharks?

19K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  100 FATHOMS 
#1 ·
What sharks do you consider keeping for table fare and in what order? I would like to target some sharks over the Spring and Summer.
GOOD TIMES

#6 ·
Black tips are my favorite, but sandies are ok if you bleed them, as you klnow they release urine thru their skin, If you cut the tail off an allow them you bleed you will help with the strong flavor. Makos are great but I don't have the means to get to them.

My favorite way to cook is to cut into steaks and grill, baste with olive oil and top with fresh pico. Its hard to beat

#12 ·
At the recomendation of the crew, kept and ate a large black-nosed shark caught on a party boat trip years ago. It was pretty good. I'm also thinking about targeting BT's this summer just to save some fuel and make some easy trips.

#13 ·
get the guts and blood out of them quickly. pack the abdominal core with ice and chill the carcass quickly. You will have some fine table fare . All my experience has been with sand sharks and blacktips. Had mako in restaraunts and it was very good.

If you are not going to do what I reccomend above , turn the beast loose as it will taste terrible

#14 ·
mako, blacktips are yummy...

if you are going to keep one, have these things ready to rock and roll.

good sharp knife
sharpener
cooler big enough for the meat
ICE!!!!!!!!!!!

trick to sharks is getting them bled out quickly, you can do this by cutting their tail almost completely off, let that bleed, you can do the same with the head too, hang over tailgate or what not to bleed.

from there, gut quickly, remove skin quickly and get the slab of meat on ice after rinse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.