2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

trailer inspection sticker

6K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  bwguardian 
#1 ·
i heard on the radio the other day that any trailer with brakes has to have a state inspection sticker. when did this go down? ive never seen any trailer with a inspection sticker. whats next?

#3 ·
I found this link from DPS.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/ins...lass=Trailers+or+Mobile++Homes&classsubmit=Go

It looks like they go by the weight of the actual trailer or the registered weight. #4000 or above needs an inspection sticker.

They don't mention loaded weight or the weight rating of the trailer.
If anyone understands their language, please clarify it for me.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

#16 ·
I found this link from DPS.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/ins...lass=Trailers+or+Mobile++Homes&classsubmit=Go

It looks like they go by the weight of the actual trailer or the registered weight. #4000 or above needs an inspection sticker.

They don't mention loaded weight or the weight rating of the trailer.
If anyone understands their language, please clarify it for me.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
It is the gross weight of the trailer which is the trailer plus its cargo combined.

#6 ·
I have looked it up in my Traffic code book dated 1989 I had from when I went thru the police academy. Any trailer over 4500gvw thats so any trailer with a combined weight (boat + empty trailer) I have started taking all my new trailers with brakes and having them inspected. I did get stopped for a flakey tail light on my 30 ft Mc Clain and got the the third degree! He was a young Trooper and Im sure been in the book more recent than I because I missed that page when I went thru it I have spoke to many of the older guys I have worked with and they were unaware of this also as was the inspection station in town. So if it has brakes get it all working or bring it to me :) and get it inspected.

#9 ·
The correct answer is 4,500 lbs. If the trailer is rated to exceed that weight, it is required to have an inspection sticker, and you won't get a sticker with out brakes. I have been inspecting vehicles for 30 + yrs. in Texas and it has always been this way. On a side note, I took my travel trailer in for a State inspection and all the inspector did was read the vin # and license # off the trailer. I had a sticker in 5 minutes and he did not even check the lights, much less the brakes or coupler or suspension. There was a time when the inspection stickers were meant to keep the vehicle safe. Now it is all about the money....... @ $14.50 I guess you can't make a living if you take the time to do a thorough inspection, and a portion of that goes to the state......

#19 ·
A buddy of mine borrowed my gooseneck and got pulled over, he received a ticket for no inspection sticker. I looked the law up and it is true every trailer in the state is on the road illegal.

The interesting part of the sticker is what they inspect, The inspection station looks t the title and make s sure it matches the # on the trailer. Thats it. I think my boat trailer even has to have a sticker.

#21 ·
I stopped by a state inspection place and the guy laughed at me when I asked about pulling my RV in for an inspection. He said that he wouldn't get one for his own if he had one.

I will, however, get one when I haul the RV off of the deer lease. For $14.50, it's worth the price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.