2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

How to Quit

8K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  HE3 
#1 ·
I've been dipping 2 cans per day for the last 20 years. It's time to stop. What is the best advice you can give me. Today is the first day for me to start tapering off. I'm giving myself a week to get down to 1 can, then go from there. HELP please and God bless.

#2 ·
You can quit!!! every day that goes by it'll get easier and easier...replace that bad habit with a good new one...like brushing your teeth or do breathing exercises kinda like your smoking a cig...but reverse... inhale slowly thru your nose slow slow slow and as deep as you can...then exhale slow and methodical, thru your mouth like your exhaling a cigarette...you'll feel that rush and tingling as your blood zings thru your body. Great exercise...I found myself doing this 3 or four times in a row when I had a craving anywhere, it, the power of prayer, and divine intervention helped me conquer my demonic habit...(I was up to 3-4 packs daily)...Last but equally as important is that you surround your self with a support group that continues to massage your ego and tell you how great you are for kicking and how strong your inner you is...Let your ego boost itself and revel in the greatness of controlling your decision to quit!!! I wish you a multitude of blessings, POCsaltdog and in the name of Christ, that you find the continued strength to kick that horrible addiction...M. aka Wake Up (BTW I plagiarized this post from an earlier one) LOL ...Blessings...you can do this !!! M.

#6 ·
30 years ago I quit a 25 year 3 to 4 pack aday habit of non filters. I had tried several times before but I wasn’t successful until I tried Dr Shad Helmsetters Self-Talk method to change a bad habit.
What to Say When you Talk To Yourself: Shad Helmstetter ...

Understanding bad habits...

http://jamesclear.com/how-to-break-a-bad-habit

How it worked for me: This really works if you give it a chance...
1. At first don’t try to quit but think about the reasons why you want to quit. Read these reasons from a 3x5 card every time you lite up.
2. on a 3x5 card list all of the reasons you would benefit you by quitting. You must get rid of why you enjoy smoking thinking and replace stinky thinking with a healthy self image.
>burning holes in clothes, seat, etc.
>Putting myself at high risk of Cancer, (many types are linked to tobacco use)
>Putting me at higher risk of cardiovascular disease.
>Puts me at high risk of developing emphysema
>I’ve had 3 cousins die from smoking 2 from emphysema at 67 & 72, the other at 80 with lung cancer. I had a supervisor die with lung cancer at 52
>the guy selling bait had throat cancer now talks through a hole in his throat.
>smoking harmful for my children
>accidentally burnt my daughter while she was playing on my lap.
>nasty mouth in the mornings
>stinky cars
>almost wrecked from dropping a lit cig. Happened more than once.
>100 packs a month at $6 a pack=$600 today’s dollars that I’m depriving my family from!!!
Replace each one of the statements with a positive one and read them without fail every time you light up. Carry the card with you in your pocket at all times. I carried mine for a couple of years after I quit as it took me years to eventually lose all desire and craving.
You must first Create the desire to quit. Then, you will.
I feel so much better about myself for kicking the habit. It’s like being in a special elite club with many members. This year is 30 years being smoke free! Whoohoo!

#8 ·
just quit

easy to say...i dipped for about 25 years and have been snuff free for four years. When i say dipped, i mean 24/7.

You have to want to quit. I quit by making my mind up to stop - for health, family, and work reasons, then picking a quit day, and not buying anymore Snuff.

nicotine gum helped through the first couple of weeks, then nicotine mini lozenges for about a year.

i still use the nicotine lozenges and ice breaker mints when the urge to dip comes on.

it may have been the hardest thing i've done, but worth it..

#9 ·
I am two weeks without a dip, but now for me the hard part comes in.

Two weeks ago went to the hospital for a standard steroid injection and breathing treatment for my asthma - next thing you know I being wheeled into cardiac ICU. Heart in afib. Two weeks of drugs and blood thinners and complete bed rest - peeing in a bottle. Nurses has alarm set so I could not get out of bed. Needless to say no redseal for me. Did not even miss it until I got out of the hospital this week. Not many triggers that make you want a dip in s hospital bed. Now they come rushing - that good steak getting ****** at some yahoo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I am two weeks without a dip, but now for me the hard part comes in.

Two weeks ago went to the hospital for a standard steroid injection and breathing treatment for my asthma - next thing you know I being wheeled into cardiac ICU. Heart in afib. Two weeks of drugs and blood thinners and complete bed rest - peeing in a bottle. Nurses has alarm set so I could not get out of bed. Needless to say no redseal for me. Did not even miss it until I got out of the hospital this week. Not many triggers that make you want a dip in s hospital bed. Now they come rushing - that good steak getting ****** at some yahoo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothing tastes as good as being a non addict feels. I quit a 7 pack and 5 can a week habit in 2009 with nary a puff or pinch since. Id been hooked for 30 years.

Chantix for me. Keep going, stay strong

#11 ·
I dipped and chewed for over 40 years. Decided last June I was finished with it. When my last can was gone I didn't buy any more. Chew two packs of gum a week now, instead of 10 cans of snuff a week........You can do it.

#12 ·
My brother had tried a lot of things to quit, and still doesn't know how to do, or what to try... trust me he had tried a lot of things. I don't know why is that so, but i think is because he is not an usual smoker, he always smokes more that a simple smoker...
maybe this is why it became so hard..

#13 ·
It can be done!

I quit about 12 years ago after smoking for 25 years. I set them down on the day my family and I left for a cruise. They thought I was nuts. I went cold turkey to nicorrette gum, and it did take the edge off. I was on the gum for almost 4 years when I asked my doctor about Chantix. He prescribed it, and it worked to finally get me off the nicotine. It is tough, but works. Once you're done, you're done. You'll know it when you can walk past someone smoking and not feel like you need to bum a cigarette.

Good luck, and done stop trying. Took at least a dozen times trying to quit, before it stuck!

#15 ·
Use Nicotine gum. Quit. Do not wean yourself down, throw away the cans you have left and quit. You have to have the attitude that is is going to happen and happen NOW.

Use the gum, it will help a lot. Wean yourself off the gum slowly.

It is one of the hardest things to do, but, you will not regret it. I have been snuff/chew free for 8 yrs now. Do I still want it? Yes. But I do not dare try it again.

#19 ·
I hope you have stayed quit, my friend. I am just over two months. It is still very much a head sea. You just gotta really, really want to do it once and for all and one day at a time (as you have read and heard so many times). Cold turkey was the only way my stupid *** could do it. Hang in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.