2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

deer camp septic tank

26K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  cjb2679 
#1 ·
Need to build a homemade septic tank for the cabin at deer camp for toilet. Anybody have a good cheap design?

#8 ·
Get two 55 gallon metal drums (the plastic ones will float out of the hole).

Dig a hole large enough to set the two drums side by side.

In the drum closest to the house cut a hole large enough to slide a piece of 4 or 6" PVC into about 4 inches below the top of the barrel. Drill (5) 1/2" holes in the bottom of this barrel in the shape of the 5 dots on a dominoe. This is the drum that you'll run your sewer pipe to, the easiest way is to just use an L at the end of the pipe and hang it in the top of the barrel.

In the drum farthest from the house cut a hole large enough to slide a piece of 4 or 6" PVC into about 4 inches below the top of the barrel. Drill (5) 1/2" holes in the bottom of this barrel in the shape of the 5 dots on a dominoe.

Connect the two drums with a short length of PVC pipe that fits the holes you cut in the two barrels, then in the space surrounding the drums pour readymix cement (already mixed with water) until the cement gets up about half way on the barrels. You might have to put some weight on the barrels to keep them from floating up while you do the cement, so be slow when pouring it.

Let the cement stand over night then fill with enough cement to cover the other half of the barrels. It sounds like a lot but it's not, just don't dig too large of a hole.

You can cover the barrels with whatever you want; most folks use heavy tin but it will last forever.

TH

#9 ·
I have some 300 gallon plastic tanks that can be used and would work great if anyone is interested. They had chemicals in them at one time and should not be used for potable water or feed, but would make great septic tanks and have had a few people use these for that. The tanks have a 2" valve drain at the base and a large (maybe 10") hole in the top. I'll give these away if anyone is interested in picking them up. I'm located in Tomball.

Russell

#10 ·
We had a camphouse that had only a drain field. Used it with shower,sink, commode for probably 15 years till we got outpriced. Never had an issue with it at all. Only used weekends 3-4 months a year and to maybe 1 weekend a month rest of year. Had appx 6 folks in camp at any given time.
Jeff

#13 ·
We built one similar to the one Trouthunter described except we used plastic drums and drilled quite a few holes in the second one. Dug a hole and set them in and covered them. Never had a problem with them floating up. We did that about 10 years ago and in spite of having as many as 8-9 staying in the trailer at a time we never had a problem. Changed to a new low flow toilet a few years ago to stop pouring so much water in. Not on the lease now but it's still there and still functioning.

#17 ·
septic system

I understand your dilemma, but several years ago in Edwards County there was a state person with TCEQ going around inspecting, finding and threatening to fine individuals with illegal septic systems. I know as I bought a place where the previous owner had installed one- a 55 gallon drum with 4" PVC pipe in and 4" perforated field drain line out. The problem in installing this system is digging a hole for the 55 gallon drum and burying the PVC pipe in rock, and expecting it to percolate/drain into it! The simplest and legal solution (at that time) was a burn toilet-a 55 gallon drum cut in half with a toilet seat on top. When you got ready to leave you just pour a mixture of 1 part gas to 4 parts diesel and burn the cr@p! I even applied for the permit which cost me $200+ dollars. My neighbors just ignored him but do not use an illegal septic system or an outhouse but either burn it or use a "Bumperdumper"! That's the government for you chasing hunters that use outhouses/illegal septic systems a couple of weeks out of the year to make a little more money for the State when cows, horses and sheep are running around cr@pping large volumes but that won't affect our aquifer system that is used for drinking water! Give me a break-let's put diapers on the critters and change them regularly!!!!!! LMFAO-less $200!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.