2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Icechest Livewell Question

13K views 79 replies 33 participants last post by  Timemachine 
#1 ·
I'm wanting to make me a livewell tank for bait out of a cooler and was wondering what is the best brand kit or brand to get? I saw they have one at Academy made by Marine Metal Products or Bass Pro has two, one made by Catch Saver and the other by Mayfair. What do yall think??? Thanks

#74 ·
ummm....yeah, look, why dont you guys ask someone who knows other than yourselves, like a chemist or a chemical engineer. Dont ask someone "who has been using it for 43 years and says so". "Here is a fact: Oxygen systems used correctly make bait friskier, end of story!" thats not a fact. I understand fish kills, etc.

Look, dont know what to tell you guys, Im not doing the math and formulas on here, you wouldnt understand what they meant if I did, you dont have to believe me, its not that important to me. Just trying to pass along some info. One day we will look back at this thread and laugh at what we thought we knew.

#76 ·
These are the individual components and concentrations of atmospheric air

nitrogen (N2) 78.084
oxygen (O2) 20.946
argon (Ar) 0.934
neon (Ne) 0.0018
helium (He) 0.000524
methane (CH4) 0.0002
krypton (Kr) 0.000114
hydrogen (H2) 0.00005
nitrous oxide (N2O) 0.00005
xenon (Xe) 0.0000087

This is what a regular pump or bubbler puts in your bait water vs. 100% oxygen from an O2 system.

When you use a "cheap" pump, these other gases take up space in your water that could be occupied by pure oxygen. Get it yet?

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/10582/air

#79 ·
Here is an easy way to look at it. Get a glass of water. Now, put some sugar in the water and take a sip. The sugar is DISSOLVED in the water, but it is still water. If you keep adding sugar you will eventually reach saturation, and you will have suspended sugar in you're water. Oxygen systems dissolve the maximum amount of oxygen in the water. Mr bubbles tries to dissolve air into the water. It works, but not as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.