2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

what is a good popping rod for the 8500 SpinFisher?

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  matawest 
#1 ·
What is a good popping rod for the 8500 SpinFisher? Also for some jigging also?

#2 ·
For a popping rod, I'd look at an OTI rod. They make two versions, with the cheaper one about half the price of the other. I recently bought an OceanXtreme popping rod (the cheaper of the two they make) and it seems really nice. I haven't used it yet, so I have no idea how it will perform. I've heard good things about them, though. They also make jigging rods that are supposed to be very nice. You could also look at a Shimano Trevala jigging rod. I have one and so far I've been pleased with it. If you want to step up a notch, take a look at Black Hole rods.

That should give you some options to research.

#3 ·
You would be better off getting two rods and switching the reel between them. Jigging and popping are very different styles and a rod that could do both would be good at neither. For popping the OTI ocean extreme 60-40 would be a good choice. I think it has been discontinued so you would have to look on the secondary market. You should be able to pick up a used one for around $200. For jigging I would say the Shimano Trevala jigging rod in the 60-40 range would work well. I have a conventional Trevala jigging rod that I use frequently and love. You can get a Trevala for under $150.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.