Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 06-19-2017, 04:47 AM   #1
cbump
Registered Users-pm+

cbump is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Any Florida experts here?

Got a trip to Panama City Beach coming up on July 30 through August 13.
Been multiple times and always kind of winged it as far as fishing goes. Caught lots of lady fish, hardtail, and used them for shark.

This time I'm bringing kayaks and looking for advice on whether or not what I am bringing is good enough. Let me know if you would bring anything else:

Redfish/trout: Have attempted to catch these while in PCB in the past but not had much luck. Will be bringing Gold Spoons, Chrome Spoons, Jig heads with various Norton plastics, possibly a redfish magic spinner or two.

If the conditions permit, I will be going offshore in the kayak (do not own a fish finder). Bringing some kingfish rigs for drifting/trolling cigar minnows. Also bringing some 125lb mono leaders with 10/0 circle hooks. Have some of these with slider weight clips and some for fishing weightless. Hope to drift or anchor up offshore and use cut bait or blue crabs for shark or big drum.

Really want to fish the bridge connecting PCB and Panama City. Not sure how or what to fish for though. Any ideas/tips? Tried it once from a boat but the current was quick and I didn't know what I was doing. Your tips don't have to be PCB specific here. Just in general, how would you fish a bay bridge with deep water?

Finally, I've only ever caught one founder there by accident but I'd like to catch more. How can I target them?

What do y'all think?
cbump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2017, 11:14 AM   #2
rrichar1
Registered Users-pm+

rrichar1 has been promoted to Piraterrichar1 has been promoted to Piraterrichar1 has been promoted to Piraterrichar1 has been promoted to Piraterrichar1 has been promoted to Piraterrichar1 has been promoted to Piraterrichar1 has been promoted to Piraterrichar1 has been promoted to Piraterrichar1 has been promoted to Piraterrichar1 has been promoted to Piraterrichar1 has been promoted to Pirate
I'm here in PCB riding out the remnants of Cindy and brought my kayaks but just to joy ride. I gave up trying to catch fish here long ago. My advice would be to fish the grand lagoon in a protected environment. I would not fish the big bridge by kayak but would suggest you rent a boston whaler or pontoon boat for the day for ~$400 and fish out of that. Check with the renter they don't all allow fishing out of the pontoons (and some don't allow pets !).

Every year we stay at St. Joseph Peninsula state park near Port St. Joe and St. Andrews in PCB. At St. Joe they also have a protected bay side I would recommend fishing in but have not caught fish there either but have only tried a few times.

I live near Galveston so I can catch saltwater fish whenever I want. You being from Weatherford (?) you are probably limited in your saltwater time so I get why you want to fish the surf. You can always hire a local PCB or St. Joe guide but I've never done that, to cheap. Don't know where you are staying but would highly recommend launching out of St. Andrews state park but stay out of the mouth of the jetties in a kayak. And please where a PFD.
rrichar1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2017, 04:21 PM   #3
schoalbeast101
Registered Users-pm+

schoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirateschoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirateschoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirateschoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirateschoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirateschoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirateschoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirateschoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirateschoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirateschoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirateschoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirate
I have fished in Destin by the big bridge and in the bay for both Trout and Reds with a guide there. My advice would be to hire a guide for that area, better yet a kayak guide if available. As you are still out a ways before your trip call some guides and ask areas that are safe and productive to fish out of a kayak. For our trip in July a few years ago I asked the guide to get some croaker for my 2 girls and wife The guide only got 18 baits, because head guide hogged most of them for his clients. Make sure before you get on the boat that if you are going to fish live bait in the bay that you don't need to get it off another guide boat or catch it yourself. Off shore trips are different. I wouldn't recommend fishing the big bridge in a kayak, as least in Destin the water rips into the harbor under the bridge. I think Chas Champagne (DocksideTV) owner of the matrix shad has some videos fishing some Florida bridges but that is out of a boat. Per above don't get into your kayak without your PFD.
schoalbeast101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2017, 05:37 PM   #4
Tidebreaker
Registered Users-pm+

Tidebreaker is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I'm headed that over there on the 1st I was gonna try and wade the surf with lures like we do here. Not sure if it will work since the water is so clear. I'll get y'all a report if I do eney good
Tidebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2017, 10:04 PM   #5
1fisher77316
Registered Users-pm+

1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate
For current information check out www.microskiff.com that website has a lot of people from Florida. I've found them pretty open to helping out a newbie when I've been traveling to the Florida coast. If you have time to look around and you are open to night fishing I would recommend finding some lights and night fishing with small minnow imitating baits.
Tight lines
1Fisher77316
1fisher77316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2017, 02:06 AM   #6
cbump
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrichar1 View Post
I'm here in PCB riding out the remnants of Cindy and brought my kayaks but just to joy ride. I gave up trying to catch fish here long ago. My advice would be to fish the grand lagoon in a protected environment. I would not fish the big bridge by kayak but would suggest you rent a boston whaler or pontoon boat for the day for ~$400 and fish out of that. Check with the renter they don't all allow fishing out of the pontoons (and some don't allow pets !).

Every year we stay at St. Joseph Peninsula state park near Port St. Joe and St. Andrews in PCB. At St. Joe they also have a protected bay side I would recommend fishing in but have not caught fish there either but have only tried a few times.

I live near Galveston so I can catch saltwater fish whenever I want. You being from Weatherford (?) you are probably limited in your saltwater time so I get why you want to fish the surf. You can always hire a local PCB or St. Joe guide but I've never done that, to cheap. Don't know where you are staying but would highly recommend launching out of St. Andrews state park but stay out of the mouth of the jetties in a kayak. And please where a PFD.

Thanks for the reply. Before skipping last summer, I had been to PCB 5 years in a row. Brought a boat twice and kayaks twice and caught lots of fish. But I have always winged it. Trying to go with a plan this time and target more game fish.

We do get an offshore guide for a day when we go as well.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:10 AM   #7
cbump
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoalbeast101 View Post
I have fished in Destin by the big bridge and in the bay for both Trout and Reds with a guide there. My advice would be to hire a guide for that area, better yet a kayak guide if available. As you are still out a ways before your trip call some guides and ask areas that are safe and productive to fish out of a kayak. For our trip in July a few years ago I asked the guide to get some croaker for my 2 girls and wife The guide only got 18 baits, because head guide hogged most of them for his clients. Make sure before you get on the boat that if you are going to fish live bait in the bay that you don't need to get it off another guide boat or catch it yourself. Off shore trips are different. I wouldn't recommend fishing the big bridge in a kayak, as least in Destin the water rips into the harbor under the bridge. I think Chas Champagne (DocksideTV) owner of the matrix shad has some videos fishing some Florida bridges but that is out of a boat. Per above don't get into your kayak without your PFD.

Thanks for the reply. I definitely wouldn't fish the Destin bridge from a kayak. Too much boat traffic and current since it is basically over a pass. The PCB bridge is actually back in the bay so I'd feel much safer fishing the pylons around it.

Also, last offshore guided trip I got in Destin, we spent at least an hour trying to catch/find bait. I was pretty ****** about that. Gonna make a post closer to when we go asking for recommendations for guides that have everything ready to go when we step on the boat.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:11 AM   #8
cbump
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidebreaker View Post
I'm headed that over there on the 1st I was gonna try and wade the surf with lures like we do here. Not sure if it will work since the water is so clear. I'll get y'all a report if I do eney good
I have done that a bunch but only got spanish macks, lady fish, and hard tails/blue runners mostly. Few other surprises here and there. It is fun.
Use fluoro leader.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:38 PM   #9
Surfdoc
Registered Users-pm+

Surfdoc is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
snook

Moved to Panama City from NC coast. Still learning the area. Shoot me a pm when gets closer to your trip. There are lots of good flats to fish from kayak. Folks catch kings from kayaks off beach. I would recommend you bring it.
Surfdoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2017, 11:10 PM   #10
cbump
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdoc View Post
Moved to Panama City from NC coast. Still learning the area. Shoot me a pm when gets closer to your trip. There are lots of good flats to fish from kayak. Folks catch kings from kayaks off beach. I would recommend you bring it.
Awesome, will do.