Stingray Sting? - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 06-16-2017, 11:58 PM   #11
SolarScreenGuy

SolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to Pirate
I believe most stingray hits will be at most calf high. The companies that sell "Stingray Guard" boots have a bit of liability on their hands. If a customer gets hit and the barb penetrates the boot and injures the fisherman, said manufacturer has a problem. I know 1 person who was hit by a stingray. He was one of the most avid waders I've ever known. It was bad enough for him that he has never again waded and probably never will.
www.solarscreenguys.com
www.houstonshutterpro.com
SolarScreenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2017, 12:20 AM   #12
SaltwaterSlick
Registered Users-pm+

SaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to Pirate
I got hit down in Mexico at 3rd pass years ago... barb went straight in the side of my foot just behind my little toe, but fortunately it came back out. I applied heat to it for several hours and it was fine by the next morning... When I got back home, went to see my Dr. and he gave me at tetanus shot and told me the guide did the right thing to put heat on it... said the venom is enzyme based and is broken down at temps above about 112 degrees..

Next trip, a buddy got hit in the top of the big toe just behind the toenail... It went thru and broke off. I pulled it out the bottom of his foot with needle nose pliers... He was a hurtin' son of a gun... lots of heat for hours and lots of beers and he was good enough to fish the next morning... Heat killed his too... Hard to be 100 percent protected unless you just stay in the boat!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2017, 12:36 AM   #13
Action BC

Action BC is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Just curious but would a ray stab thru a good pair of Simms wading boots? I know the barb is sharp just don't know how much force then really hit you with.
Action BC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2017, 04:00 AM   #14
JimD
JimD

JimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to Pirate
The crackshot and the Foreverlast are about the same and with the FL ray guard boots offer some protection. I wear mine when I go. There are many past articles on all three products. My .177 pellet gun goes thru the protective fins on the guards but I also took an old set of Neumarks and ~400 or so denier nylon and cut them to put a second shield on the inside of the shin guards. I have tired both shin guards and the CS seems to have a heavier boot strap.

Been luck over the years to never find out if they will work for me.

If you slide you feet and get hit you will have stepped off in some hole that had a guest in it and top of the foot; others get hit when they catch a good fish and step back or around to fight the fish and get hit on the ankle side. Think you are wading and making a chum line for the Ray which is happily eating away till you step back and surprise each other.
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2017, 06:33 AM   #15
Lone-Star
Registered Users-pm+

Lone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to Pirate
I see about 300 stingray hits a year and I'd say roughly 95% are from the ankle down. However the really bad ones in the calf.
Lone-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2017, 06:56 AM   #16
Rufneck
Registered Users-pm+

Rufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Star View Post
I see about 300 stingray hits a year and I'd say roughly 95% are from the ankle down. However the really bad ones in the calf.
300?!?!?! How do you see so many?

I saw a guy brought into the Fishing Center in Port O'Connor once that had been hit. He was laid out on the front of the boat and his face was white as a sheet. I swear he looked dead already. An ambulance was waiting for him at the dock.
Rufneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2017, 08:15 AM   #17
uncle dave
Registered Users-pm+

uncle dave has been promoted to Pirateuncle dave has been promoted to Pirateuncle dave has been promoted to Pirateuncle dave has been promoted to Pirateuncle dave has been promoted to Pirateuncle dave has been promoted to Pirateuncle dave has been promoted to Pirateuncle dave has been promoted to Pirateuncle dave has been promoted to Pirateuncle dave has been promoted to Pirateuncle dave has been promoted to Pirate
Got hit between the ankle and the tendon, instant pain, and 8 weeks to heal.
uncle dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2017, 08:57 AM   #18
PHINS
"Bring me a menu and a bucket........"

PHINS has been promoted to PiratePHINS has been promoted to PiratePHINS has been promoted to PiratePHINS has been promoted to PiratePHINS has been promoted to PiratePHINS has been promoted to PiratePHINS has been promoted to PiratePHINS has been promoted to PiratePHINS has been promoted to PiratePHINS has been promoted to PiratePHINS has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action BC View Post
Just curious but would a ray stab thru a good pair of Simms wading boots? I know the barb is sharp just don't know how much force then really hit you with.

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PHINS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2017, 12:51 PM   #19
SaltwaterSlick
Registered Users-pm+

SaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action BC View Post
Yessir. When I got hit and when my buddy got hit, we were both wearing wading boots...Doc told me that probably contributed to making our healing process better because going through the boot first, it sort of cleaned the barb, the skin/covering that they have... that's were most of the bacteria/venom is...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #20
Tightlines1984
Registered Users-pm+

Tightlines1984 has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateTightlines1984 has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateTightlines1984 has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateTightlines1984 has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateTightlines1984 has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateTightlines1984 has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateTightlines1984 has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateTightlines1984 has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateTightlines1984 has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateTightlines1984 has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateTightlines1984 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate
Thanks guys. Lot of great feedback and helpful first hand accounts. So what prompted this thread is lm heading on trip Sunday in supposed Stingray infested waters. My BIL is saying lm asking for it with my current gear. Priced better protection and thought this is ridiculous and decided to get creative and cost efficent....Think l have got a winner and at only at $10 offers almost full protection from Rays! Pics to be posted tonight.
Tightlines1984 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message