Stingray Sting? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 06-16-2017, 08:34 PM   #1
Tightlines1984
Registered Users-pm+

Tightlines1984 has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateTightlines1984 has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateTightlines1984 has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateTightlines1984 has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateTightlines1984 has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateTightlines1984 has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateTightlines1984 has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateTightlines1984 has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateTightlines1984 has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateTightlines1984 has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateTightlines1984 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate
Stingray Sting?

What part of the body are you most likely to get popped by one? Currently have reef boots which offer great protection of the feet. Partial coverage of ankles and none for above ankles. Trying to determine if l should invest in something that provides full coverage of calfs and shins. Thoughts?
Tightlines1984 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 09:02 PM   #2
hurricane matt
Registered Users-pm+

hurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Pirate
I got hit on the top of my foot about 3 inches past pinky toe at Surfside. Throwing a long rod like always and walking it back to the rod holder. I couldn't imagine a hit in the Achilles heel. I still don't wear protection even after that. Well, I did for a while but was a pita. I'm just cautious shuffle feet and hope it doesn't happen ever again!
hurricane matt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 09:15 PM   #3
LarryG
Registered Users-pm+

LarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to Pirate
I got hit at the top part of the ankle bone. I was flounder gigging near Port Isabel at the time and never saw the ray.
LarryG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 09:47 PM   #4
4 Ever-Fish N
Registered Users-pm+

4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate
They make shin guards that wrap around your entire calf and part of the top of your foot. I have some but couldn't tell you what brand they are. I wear them when I'm wading.
4 Ever-Fish N is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 09:56 PM   #5
walkinwader
Registered Users-pm+

walkinwader is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I don't mind wearing mine at all. Really no bother. I will admit sometimes in the surf they try to turn on my leg from the current.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
walkinwader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 09:58 PM   #6
Mini-x Fan
Take em boys

Mini-x Fan has been promoted to PirateMini-x Fan has been promoted to PirateMini-x Fan has been promoted to PirateMini-x Fan has been promoted to PirateMini-x Fan has been promoted to PirateMini-x Fan has been promoted to PirateMini-x Fan has been promoted to PirateMini-x Fan has been promoted to PirateMini-x Fan has been promoted to PirateMini-x Fan has been promoted to PirateMini-x Fan has been promoted to Pirate
I sometimes wear the crackshot brand guards. They're very light and fairly comfortable. However, they do rub some so I don't wear them too often.
Mini-x Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 10:07 PM   #7
HookInFinger
Registered Users-pm+

HookInFinger has been promoted to PirateHookInFinger has been promoted to PirateHookInFinger has been promoted to PirateHookInFinger has been promoted to PirateHookInFinger has been promoted to PirateHookInFinger has been promoted to PirateHookInFinger has been promoted to PirateHookInFinger has been promoted to PirateHookInFinger has been promoted to PirateHookInFinger has been promoted to PirateHookInFinger has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane matt View Post
I got hit on the top of my foot
Same here. Back in the younger days, running to shore inside the first bar at SPI with a surf board. Went to the doc, they shot it with Novocaine (and maybe tetanus vaccine?), had a few beers, hit the nightclubs. When you're 19, you don't let a little thing like a stingray slow you down.
HookInFinger is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 10:25 PM   #8
hurricane matt
Registered Users-pm+

hurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwader View Post
I don't mind wearing mine at all. Really no bother. I will admit sometimes in the surf they try to turn on my leg from the current.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Surely the leggings have gotten better since when I got tagged in 94. Then all I saw at academy were those kevlar deals that felt like you duct taped two doormats around your legs!
Old 06-16-2017, 11:10 PM   #9
big D.
Registered Users-pm+

big D. has been promoted to Piratebig D. has been promoted to Piratebig D. has been promoted to Piratebig D. has been promoted to Piratebig D. has been promoted to Piratebig D. has been promoted to Piratebig D. has been promoted to Piratebig D. has been promoted to Piratebig D. has been promoted to Piratebig D. has been promoted to Piratebig D. has been promoted to Pirate
http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...?k=Ray%20guard

Bought these along with reef boots after seeing several in the area we've been wading. Used them twice and they did not bother me.
big D. is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 11:57 PM   #10
hurricane matt
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by big D. View Post
http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...?k=Ray%20guard

Bought these along with reef boots after seeing several in the area we've been wading. Used them twice and they did not bother me.

Better than nothing I guess but they wouldn't have protected me from my hit. Know some other folks who got hit same place. You need full foot and wrap around heel to be effective IMO