Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 06-17-2017, 10:26 PM   #11
Texun4
Registered Users-pm+

Texun4 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird View Post
Get the actual chart of Galveston bay and look over it, especially the area/s you want to fish. This is the chart that the gps maps are based on. Use Google maps to look at those same areas for a 'real life' image. Order the Troutsupport DVD's.
Is there a good source for the actual chart or would the hook and line chart be good for that as well?

Does the Troutsupport DVD provide info for navigating or just fishing tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFcaptain View Post
Study the charts for Galveston bay carefully, the bay is a very dangerous place, generally murky water with all sorts of man made and natural obstructions . One particular place I try to avoid is the "oyster field" near Hanna and Eagle Point with all of the pvc poles in the water, there are many unmarked oyster beds around there so be careful.
Is there anything marking most of these dangerous obstructions?
Texun4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2017, 10:41 PM   #12
Texun4
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt. david View Post
East Bay is the easiest bay to run and learn. Not much to worry about running out of Eagle except Todds Dump and running inside the gas wells. The PVC pipe just marks oyster leases.
Good to know I was starting to worry...is todds dump or the gas well marked at all? Do I need to stay away front the PVC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarScreenGuy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm66 View Post
Launch at Eagle Point, Wendy will point you in the right direction if you ask.
Wendy is such a great old pro. If you can get advice from him, it will be the gospel.
Good to know. Thanks! Does he work most days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk2429 View Post
East Bay there's not really anything to watch out for, West Bay is a different story. Got to be real careful out there unless you are in the ICW obviously. Fish Greens Lake. Just run the ICW all the way there. It stays around 2-2.5ft but you aren't going to hit anything. Just drift through there with plastics
That is good to know as some people were starting to make me worry whether or not I should even try GBC or just go to Sargent and hit East Mad. Greens lake good for Reds, Trout, or both?
Old 06-17-2017, 10:59 PM   #13
dk2429
Pro life, pro gun, Trump 2016

dk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texun4 View Post
Good to know I was starting to worry...is todds dump or the gas well marked at all? Do I need to stay away front the PVC?

Good to know. Thanks! Does he work most days?

That is good to know as some people were starting to make me worry whether or not I should even try GBC or just go to Sargent and hit East Mad. Greens lake good for Reds, Trout, or both?
I've caught a bunch of trout there but never have caught a red there. One thing I noticed from my experience is that I've caught my numbers there than size.
dk2429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2017, 11:06 PM   #14
Texun4
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk2429 View Post
I've caught a bunch of trout there but never have caught a red there. One thing I noticed from my experience is that I've caught my numbers there than size.
I got ya. I really appreciate the insight!
Old 06-18-2017, 05:52 AM   #15
Bird
No fish in West Bay

Bird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to Pirate
You can get the NOAA paper chart at West Marine or online. The Hot Spot maps are pretty good for fishing spots and are probably easier to find locally for you. They are also waterproof so they are good to have on the boat with you.

The Trout Support videos are all about how to read the water and understand what's going on to help you find productive water. So fishing tips but on a next level.
Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2017, 06:17 AM   #16
jeffm66
Registered Users-pm+

jeffm66 has been promoted to Piratejeffm66 has been promoted to Piratejeffm66 has been promoted to Piratejeffm66 has been promoted to Piratejeffm66 has been promoted to Piratejeffm66 has been promoted to Piratejeffm66 has been promoted to Piratejeffm66 has been promoted to Piratejeffm66 has been promoted to Piratejeffm66 has been promoted to Piratejeffm66 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texun4 View Post
Thanks!! Is this a good central location for East Bay in your opinion? Nice launch?

Ride over to east bay can be rough if the wind is over 15mph. A few obstructions others mentioned you need to watch out for. If you have a gps most will be on it. Plenty of fishing spots on this side of the channel too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jeffm66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2017, 09:34 PM   #17
Texun4
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird View Post
You can get the NOAA paper chart at West Marine or online. The Hot Spot maps are pretty good for fishing spots and are probably easier to find locally for you. They are also waterproof so they are good to have on the boat with you.

The Trout Support videos are all about how to read the water and understand what's going on to help you find productive water. So fishing tips but on a next level.
I just read a post about the Troutsupport DVDs and I will definitely be purchasing the 4 pack. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:36 PM   #18
Texun4
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm66 View Post

Ride over to east bay can be rough if the wind is over 15mph. A few obstructions others mentioned you need to watch out for. If you have a gps most will be on it. Plenty of fishing spots on this side of the channel too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Which channel is that? The one that runs by Eagle point?
Old 06-18-2017, 10:09 PM   #19
fishingtwo
You'll Never Catch em Like That

fishingtwo has disabled reputation
Probably Intercoastal
Don't think todds dump is marked
fishingtwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 08:38 AM   #20
planohog
Registered Users-pm+

planohog has been promoted to Pirateplanohog has been promoted to Pirateplanohog has been promoted to Pirateplanohog has been promoted to Pirateplanohog has been promoted to Pirateplanohog has been promoted to Pirateplanohog has been promoted to Pirateplanohog has been promoted to Pirateplanohog has been promoted to Pirateplanohog has been promoted to Pirateplanohog has been promoted to Pirate
Eagle Point area,
There is a reef or sandbar that runs east west from
Eagle point towards RedFish Rocks.
The south side of this reef has several obstructions. Not marked.
You might see it you might not. I have two of them marked, one
seems to be missing, or sunk. last time i was there.
I fish mostly on the north side of it . Not much ship wake there.
with dead shrimp, easy to catch whiting, croakers, gaff top hard heads
sand trout.
To the west of there you will see a large gate ( moses lake ) ,
Fishing either side can be producttive, inside the lake , becarefull
lots to hit in there but the fishing can be good and its a good place to hide
on some windy days.

Ship Wake danger:

anywhere outside and close to redfish rocks.
anywhere south, north, west side of the island 5 miles due east of kemah.

I have seen rollers breaking near the dike and north not far off the channel.

Best bet till you get familar, tie a float to end of anchor line, If you get in trouble throw the line in the water , point nose into the swell , gas it and
get ready to ride down back side of swell and meet another .
Hopefully you wont smack the bottom.
Texas city dike is a place to watch out for at the ramp.
planohog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message