Trout and Gafftop Cohabitation - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 06-15-2017, 07:40 PM   #1
StinkyFingerMullet
Registered Users-pm+

StinkyFingerMullet is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Trout and Gafftop Cohabitation

Twice in the past 2 months I have had days were it has been a Gafftop SLAM!!!!! Im looking for any insight on how they cohabitate. For instance, If Im making my normal drifts in 2-4' of water but picking up nothing but slime buckets should I try 5-8'? Will trout veer away from other species of fish and do there own thing if its crowded? There are times when I may have to cull through a few slimes to get a trout but when I say a Slam, im talking 20 fish in an afternoon at all my spots.

Just curious to see if anyone has any pointers to subdue my slime slams!

Thanks
StinkyFingerMullet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 10:00 PM   #2
tcbayman
Registered Users-pm+

tcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Pirate
No idea on the biology behind it, but I know that you can catch trout on a reef one and on the next drift it will be a slime fest, and they will hit plastics too. I feel like when the gaftop come through they out number and out compete the trout for food. Same thing for horse mackerel.
tcbayman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 10:13 PM   #3
Salty Dog
Registered Users-pm+

Salty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to Pirate
Alot of times in the summer when we have birds working it'll be dink trout and snot sharks all in together.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 12:45 AM   #4
Action BC

Action BC is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
If your really slamming the slimers just keep grinding it out. If throwing live bait I would switch, and pinch your barb on your jig head until you start catching the targeted species. This will save u, your boat, and your tackle a lot of slime!
Action BC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 06:59 AM   #5
BayouBaldy
Registered Users-pm+

BayouBaldy is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
When they are mixed like that I usually throw a suspended twitch bait. You will catch less gaftop and bigger trout. It usually helps.
BayouBaldy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 08:09 AM   #6
Cajuntriton
Registered Users-pm+

Cajuntriton has been promoted to PirateCajuntriton has been promoted to PirateCajuntriton has been promoted to PirateCajuntriton has been promoted to PirateCajuntriton has been promoted to PirateCajuntriton has been promoted to PirateCajuntriton has been promoted to PirateCajuntriton has been promoted to PirateCajuntriton has been promoted to PirateCajuntriton has been promoted to PirateCajuntriton has been promoted to Pirate
I know when fishing birds or slicks in open water more times then not the slimers are behind the feeding trout eating the regurgitated bait from the trout so getting ahead of the birds/slick can help with longer cast or using the trolling Motor and sometimes it's just a school of slimers and there is no escape. They definitely do mix together though so trying suggestions above can weed out a couple fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cajuntriton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 08:51 AM   #7
troutsupport

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Steve Hillman said it best.. the more aggressive predator species will lead the school and be over structure. If you're just drifting picking up scattered fish in open water, which is also where most slimers reign king, then not much you can do about that, but if your targeting sign over structure keep looking to the head of the school or head of where the sign is coming from and get ahead of it a little and it will reduce your slimer coefficient.

They are both eat shad and shrimp.

They both eat a topwater pretty good too. LOL. I don't mind a little slime if they give a good show like that, still sort of a let down at the end though... Haha.
troutsupport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2017, 12:35 PM   #8
StinkyFingerMullet
Registered Users-pm+

StinkyFingerMullet is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Thanks for the replies men! Now that I give it some though maybe I was not too far behind some fresh crab traps.. Almost has to be the answer it seems like. Right!?!?! lol I throw corkys 99% of the time and they will ABSOLUTELY crush the heck out of them. Kinda ticks me off because each time the hammer it my heart stops beating, time stands still and Im thingking BIG TROUT BIG TROUT .......Oh, nother gafftop.... haha

I was just curious what the minds of the internet had to say about the situation. Guess ya just grind em till ya find em!

Appreciate the replies and Happy Fathers Day!
StinkyFingerMullet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2017, 12:45 PM   #9
capt. david
Registered Users-pm+

capt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Pirate
It boils down do a ratio number for me. If GT outnumber the trout I am catching I move on. IMO if the trout are there and begin to feed you will not catch many GT. Once the GT take over you best move.
capt. david is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message