Finding Oyster Reefs - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 06-15-2017, 06:27 PM   #1
aktxla
Registered Users-pm+

aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Finding Oyster Reefs

How long do oyster reefs remain viable? Historical imagery on Google Earth shows oyster boats working various parts of the bays. If the images are 10-20 years old, are they reliable indicators of where deep reefs are today or does the commercial harvest wipe them out to the extend that the old images are not a reliable indicator of reef locations?
aktxla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 07:08 PM   #2
justletmein
Just call me JJ

justletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Pirate
I usually find them the good old fashioned way, and my skeg proves it too.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 07:31 PM   #3
kenny
Registered Users-pm+

kenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Pirate
If you have a depth finder shell/hard bottom will show up a different color (red).
When I was a kid in the 50's I was the depth/shell finder. My Pop would say "hey son get that Calcutta pole and see if we're on shell".
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 09:06 PM   #4
reelthreat
Do you know who I think I am???

reelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Pirate
Back when I was a kid we used oooold maps... 20-30 years old.
We carried a rod with two egg sinkers on it that we could cast a mile... when we would get in the area we would fling it out and drag it in till we felt shell. if needed we would move to fish down wind...
reelthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 09:23 PM   #5
hooknbullet2
Registered Users-pm+

hooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Pirate
We used a piece of Sch 40 PVC pipe to find them back in the day.

There are a few that I used to fish and had marked with GPS that are gone thanks to the oyster boats.
hooknbullet2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 10:19 PM   #6
DadSaid

DadSaid has been promoted to PirateDadSaid has been promoted to PirateDadSaid has been promoted to PirateDadSaid has been promoted to PirateDadSaid has been promoted to PirateDadSaid has been promoted to PirateDadSaid has been promoted to PirateDadSaid has been promoted to PirateDadSaid has been promoted to PirateDadSaid has been promoted to PirateDadSaid has been promoted to Pirate
Same here with my dad when I was young. Used a PVC pole or our fishing rods.
DadSaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 10:25 PM   #7
aktxla
Registered Users-pm+

aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
I have a new Lowrance unit and I'll tell you I can't tell whether the bottom is hard or not with it. I'll have to figure that out as that seems like a good first step. Still curious as to whether or not using Google Earth to find oyster boats is a good way to narrow the search down. I've read lots of comments on this forum about how the oyster boats get totally wipe out a reef. Just don't know if that's common or unusual.
aktxla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 06:15 AM   #8
kenny
Registered Users-pm+

kenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by aktxla View Post
I have a new Lowrance unit and I'll tell you I can't tell whether the bottom is hard or not with it. I'll have to figure that out as that seems like a good first step. Still curious as to whether or not using Google Earth to find oyster boats is a good way to narrow the search down. I've read lots of comments on this forum about how the oyster boats get totally wipe out a reef. Just don't know if that's common or unusual.
If there was ever a reef in an area, then there are remnants of that reef. Think about it this way, oyster reefs start and grow in an area because it has the right conditions for oysters to grow so there probably will always be oysters there.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 09:02 AM   #9
troutsupport

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Kenny's got the right idea.. .the only caveat is that when we get the long droughts or long flood periods. Droughts are worst.. they (oyster predators that come in with high salinity) can totally obliterate a reef and reduce it to nothing but tiny shell bits and if it's a new reef and hasn't formed a cementaceous base (sort of like limestone the calcium leaches to form a mass cementing oyster, clam, and barnacles together) ... then a new reef might form, be degraded and then never form again if there isnt anything hard left after the oyster predators. With a flood of fresh water, for example in Trinity, the fresh water just causes the oysters to die but the hard shell is still there. So as soon as conditions return to favorable for oyster formation, new spat can attach to that shell. All the need is something hard to attach to and then can grow from there. I've seen entire reefs in Trinity form off of one piece of pipe that wasn't buried.
troutsupport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 11:16 AM   #10
Titus Bass
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms.

Titus Bass has disabled reputation
When I was a kid in the 50's I was the depth/shell finder. My Pop would say "hey son get that Calcutta pole and see if we're on shell".

We used a piece of Sch 40 PVC pipe to find them back in the day.

I envied you rich kids.......

My Dad would say "son, hop out and find out what kind of bottom we are on"
Titus Bass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message