Public Service Announcement - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 06-15-2017, 03:18 PM   #11
srfrjeff
Registered Users-pm+

srfrjeff has been promoted to Piratesrfrjeff has been promoted to Piratesrfrjeff has been promoted to Piratesrfrjeff has been promoted to Piratesrfrjeff has been promoted to Piratesrfrjeff has been promoted to Piratesrfrjeff has been promoted to Piratesrfrjeff has been promoted to Piratesrfrjeff has been promoted to Piratesrfrjeff has been promoted to Piratesrfrjeff has been promoted to Pirate
way to go sharkchum. I was thinking it was a law you were supposed to help someone in distress. I know the wife an I have pulled several people in. yea it might be inconvenient but next time it might be YOU watching people speed by....
srfrjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 04:09 PM   #12
wavygravy
Registered Users-pm+

wavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterwavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterwavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterwavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterwavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterwavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterwavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterwavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterwavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterwavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterwavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMaster
Happened to me last year, was paddling back on the bow of my boat as boats flew by. Finally had one guy stop to ask if I needed help, but by that time I was only 50 yards from the dock, I told him I made it this far I'm taking her all the way in. Luckily I had the wind at my back that day.

I'm with the good guys, I dumped a gallon of gas in a guys tank a few months back so he could get back to the dock. Was hoping for good karma that day, did not but it will some day.
wavygravy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 06:50 PM   #13
water doc
Registered Users-pm+

water doc has been promoted to Piratewater doc has been promoted to Piratewater doc has been promoted to Piratewater doc has been promoted to Piratewater doc has been promoted to Piratewater doc has been promoted to Piratewater doc has been promoted to Piratewater doc has been promoted to Piratewater doc has been promoted to Piratewater doc has been promoted to Piratewater doc has been promoted to Pirate
Happened to me 2 years ago in Trinity Bay. I was ~300 yards from my dock and my motor died. Wind was against me and 3 boats passed me while I was waving my life jacket. One stopped and I told him just need to be pulled 300 yards to my dock; he offered to call "Sea Tow" and left.
Then Capt. Greg Lambert saw me, and without hesitation pulled me to my dock and would not accept any payment. Kudos to Capt. Mullet for saving a 74 yr. old a lot of trouble!
water doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 07:04 PM   #14
justletmein
Just call me JJ

justletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Pirate
Everyone in here will agree with you Sharkchum, but half of the people posting in agreement will be the same ones too hurried running around in 60+mph boats to stop and help. Seen it many many times before and experienced it myself. Also experienced a guy ran up on me in the middle of the night from across the bay to check on me when I was flounder gigging, he thought I'd got stuck on the sandbar and stopped fishing to come help me. Good guys are out there but they're becoming more rare by the minute. We stop when we see people pushing, etc, whether they flag us down or not.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 07:13 PM   #15
Swampus
Hunting Machine!

Swampus has been promoted to PirateSwampus has been promoted to PirateSwampus has been promoted to PirateSwampus has been promoted to PirateSwampus has been promoted to PirateSwampus has been promoted to PirateSwampus has been promoted to PirateSwampus has been promoted to PirateSwampus has been promoted to PirateSwampus has been promoted to PirateSwampus has been promoted to Pirate
we stop every time----been helped many more seems!
Good post John.
Swampus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 07:18 PM   #16
StinkyFingerMullet
Registered Users-pm+

StinkyFingerMullet is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Winter before last I was heading out for an afternoon trip when ran into a guy that broke down at the mouth of the lake. He said his motor was hit and miss and just to check on him on my way back in. I told him i cant do that to him, threw him a line and asked where he launched. Of course he launched at the most far north ramp ever made but i was hoping that the Fish gods would return the favor in the upcoming days. I didnt get to fish that day and The Fish Gods must have been "On Break".

One habit I try to have is always wave and give Crabbers a respectful distance to work. On cold winter days they may be your only saving grace for a ride home.
StinkyFingerMullet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 08:06 PM   #17
pocjetty
I hate rude behavior in a man.

pocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkchum View Post
Do Not Ignore Boaters In Distress.

Yesterday afternoon when I was heading back to the ramp on Dickinson bayou I heard a horn and when I looked over there was someone standing on the front of a boat waving a orange life jacket in the air. I quickly shut it down and headed there way. It was a guy by his self, his lower unit busted and he drifted about 100yds from the channel before he threw his anchor out. I tossed him a line and pulled him back to the dock. It was no problem at all, and only took about 10 minuets of my time.
Here's the bad part. He had already honked his horn and waved his life jacket at 7 or 8 other boats before before I came by ,and he said they all looked at him then turned the other way without even slowing down.
This is ridiculous. You should never ignore someone in distress. Even if your running late for work, or to take you wife to dinner, or trying to get to a tournament weigh in, you can still stop for 2 minuets and make sure everyone is safe. I can understand not wanting to tow someone in because your worried about messing up your boat or getting someone hurt, that's totally understandable. But to not even stop to check is insane.

There is only one right thing to do, and you did it. Kudos.

Many of us were raised to understand that you NEVER fail to help someone on the water. It doesn't matter if you are on your way out to fish on a perfect morning, or if you are supposed to be home by a certain time. You don't assume that someone else will stop. You stop. You help. If for no other reason than that the next time, it could be you.

We broke down in Pringle Lake on Dec. 31, as evening approached and it was getting cold. Boats passed us by on their way in, never slowing even though they clearly saw us from a relatively short distance. I realized that if we sent up a flair, it would probably just look like New Year's fireworks and get ignored. The last boat coming out of Contee stopped and pulled us in. I have always thought of it as payback for all the times we have done the same for others.
pocjetty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 08:12 PM   #18
gigem87
I will have my glory day in the hot sun!

gigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirate
Totally agree Johnny. I've been on both ends of that deal. Have towed people, and been towed. Had people blow by me when I was in an obvious problem (capsized boat). Karma.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
gigem87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 08:14 PM   #19
justletmein
Just call me JJ

justletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem87 View Post
Had people blow by me when I was in an obvious problem (capsized boat). Karma.
holy **** lol, that's a special kind of "too busy" there, maybe they were in a tournament and had to get to their spot.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 08:31 PM   #20
LA Wader
Registered Users-pm+

LA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to Pirate
Good job sharkchum. Like others have stated, you never know when it will be your turn dead in the water. The last one I helped was a little aluminum boat broke down a couple miles from the launch in the icw. I was running a charter and headed in. I could see the boat ahead and watched several boats roll by the poor fellows as I approached. I stopped tied them up and drug them to the launch right before a thunderstorm hit us. They said they'd been passed by quite a few boats. The people were also from out of town and had no contacts in the vicinity. The customers I had didn't understand me stopping at first, but after I explained if it were us broke down we'd be hoping for a tow too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LA Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message