First rod over $200.. - Page 3 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 06-15-2017, 08:42 AM   #21
Fresh2Salt
Time to make the Donuts...

Fresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterJunkie View Post
I'm a huge fan of St. Croix rods and have been using them for years. Paired up with my Chronarch it's a super light, fish catching machine. I've never broken one even with all the abuse of wade/lure fishing.

I'd even consider the Premier series which will cost you around $150 w/tax. I'm not knocking Waterloo but I had an HP Slam Mag that broke twice while fishing.
Fresh2Salt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 08:45 AM   #22
jpayne
Registered Users-pm+

jpayne has been promote to Gunnerjpayne has been promote to Gunnerjpayne has been promote to Gunnerjpayne has been promote to Gunnerjpayne has been promote to Gunnerjpayne has been promote to Gunnerjpayne has been promote to Gunnerjpayne has been promote to Gunnerjpayne has been promote to Gunnerjpayne has been promote to Gunnerjpayne has been promote to Gunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2Salt View Post
I'm a huge fan of St. Croix rods and have been using them for years. Paired up with my Chronarch it's a super light, fish catching machine. I've never broken one even with all the abuse of wade/lure fishing.

I'd even consider the Premier series which will cost you around $150 w/tax. I'm not knocking Waterloo but I had an HP Slam Mag that broke twice while fishing.
I have two St. Croix that I custom built and they aren't as light as I prefer. But a good rod
jpayne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 09:13 AM   #23
Bull Red
Spending way too much time on 2Cool

Bull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to Pirate
BillyStix can build anything you want. I love mine. Have 3 of 'em. http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/sh....php?t=2305618
Sarge M.O.A.R. is one I would like to own, but pretty pricey.
H&H has some nice rods like the Back Country and Wader Lite.
Laguna makes some nice customs.
I have a few Castaway production rods (Skeleton V2, Taranis, etc.) and really like them.

On recoil guides, I don't care for them because they are noisy with braid when you get hooked up. If you are rough on your gear I can see where they could be the best option.
Bull Red is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 09:42 AM   #24
dk2429
Pro life, pro gun, Trump 2016

dk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by urdady1 View Post
just matched mine up to the tx edition Hookspit rod with the same specs you asked for, and its under 200 bucks, looks great, feels great
That's one rod I was really interested in, but I haven't seen anybody use it yet. How is it going? Looks great with the reel!
dk2429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 09:47 AM   #25
dk2429

dk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSamarai View Post
the problem is once u buy the high end rod, you'll want to outfit the rest of your gear to the high end stuff. Honestly, i have alot of high end gear from shimano and g loomis and to me its become a mental exercise, i dont think they are worth the cost but i just cant get myself to purchase the cheap stuff anymore.
I'm already there. I have a Waterloo Salinity, 3 Phantoms, Castaways, etc... Just never put over 200 on a rod, but willing to do it for this reel!

I guess to give y'all an idea what I'm after, I love my Salinity medium light. Has a good back bone, and the tip is light. The phantoms are too whippy
Old 06-15-2017, 09:51 AM   #26
dk2429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2Salt View Post

I've picked up the Mojo Inshore from St. Croix, and those things are HEAVY. Does St. Croix make a good light weight trout rod that I'm not aware of?
Old 06-15-2017, 09:53 AM   #27
dk2429

[QUOTE=Bull Red;21055738]BillyStix can build anything you want. I love mine. Have 3 of 'em. http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/sh....php?t=2305618
I have a few Castaway production rods (Skeleton V2, Taranis, etc.) and really like them.

On recoil guides, I don't care for them because they are noisy with braid when you get hooked up. If you are rough on your gear I can see where they could be the best option.[/QUOTE]

I used to be rough on rods but ever since I've been investing in this stuff I baby them lol (rod socks and reel gloves, stay inside the house on a rod rack.) Is the only upside to recoils just the fact that they are bendable??? I don't use braid either way. 12# Suffix Superior mono.

I'm not worrying about breaking guides. Is there any reason for recoils besides them being bendable?
Old 06-15-2017, 09:57 AM   #28
Smackdaddy53
Registered Users-pm+

Smackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to PirateSmackdaddy53 has been promoted to Pirate
[quote=dk2429;21056114]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Red View Post
BillyStix can build anything you want. I love mine. Have 3 of 'em. http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/sh....php?t=2305618

On recoil guides, I don't care for them because they are noisy with braid when you get hooked up. If you are rough on your gear I can see where they could be the best option.[/QUOTE]

I used to be rough on rods but ever since I've been investing in this stuff I baby them lol (rod socks and reel gloves, stay inside the house on a rod rack.) Is the only upside to recoils just the fact that they are bendable??? I don't use braid either way. 12# Suffix Superior mono.

I'm not worrying about breaking guides. Is there any reason for recoils besides them being bendable?
Recoils will not corrode and there is no guide insert to pop out. They aren't noisy if you use 8 strand braid.
Smackdaddy53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 10:01 AM   #29
dk2429

[quote=Smackdaddy53;21056162]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk2429 View Post
Recoils will not corrode and there is no guide insert to pop out. They aren't noisy if you use 8 strand braid.
Good deal, I'll go with recoils. Thanks for all the help by the way folks!
Old 06-15-2017, 10:26 AM   #30
Big Bay
Registered Users-pm+

Big Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBig Bay has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
I sent you a pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Bay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message