Dulac, LA - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Individual Fishing & Game Reports

Notices

Old 06-12-2017, 03:52 PM   #1
Drundel
Registered Users-pm+

Drundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to Pirate
Dulac, LA

A group of us fished a work tournament near Houma last week.

Day 1 (6/8/17)

We started off a little late (7:30ish), I always want to be throwing top waters right at first light so anything after that is late, but as soon as both boats got the spot, which is basically the surf, you just have to access it via boat and only a handful of people wade it, you could see birds everywhere shrimp flying out of the water and trout in the green water.

Three of us on boat one, three more on boat two. The three in boat one are all experienced fishermen and before the power pole was down lures were going flying. It didn't matter what you were throwing, you were getting hit as soon as the lure hit the water with most fish being 15" - 18". It was one of those truly epic days when you say, what CAN'T I catch them on or what would be the most fun. Always hearing from the old times about silver spoons, I put on one with steel leader (lots of smacks being caught too) and started throwing. I’m not sure what the deal was, but I lost about 10 fish in a row at the boat (hooks were sharp), anyways, next up was a topwater. It didn’t matter if you worked it fast or slow, it as getting knocked up in the air or taken down every cast. I got worn out working that, so I put on a hunchback with single hooks and had a blast with that until I got it caught in the dock rope. It wasn’t long till we limited out and talked to guys on boat two, they still needed some and we suggested they work down the beach until they found birds and start fishing. I think they arrived back at the dock not much after we got back with their 75.

While cleaning fish, I’ve never seen trout stomachs so full of shrimp, not to mention the deck of the boat full of shrimp as well. I knew this trip wouldn’t be wading, so I brought some of my older gear that didn’t need to be super light. I forgot how much I liked my old Daiwa TDA 153HSTL reel. Its big and heavy compared to the newer stuff today, but I put that on a TTF 7’ Spec rod and it worked out great for throwing all weights of baits.

Day 2 (6/9/17)

More of the same. Still fishing later than I wanted and I wanted to target bigger fish today, so I was throwing bigger topwaters and Hogie 5” Super Shad. The bite wasn’t near as good as the day before, but we still were catching fish, we’d just have to follow the birds more and move a lot more often whereas, all 75 the day before were in about an hour and a half and at one spot. CajunTriton was throwing a mullet colored mirrodine XL and doing well the day before and he was still using the same lure, or one close, smacks took a lot of tackle this trip. During one of the moves later in the day he was working the lure near a raft of bigger mullet when it was nailed by what turned out to be a 24” 5# trout that won him lunker for the tournament. I was messing around with new lures and was trying the pink/silver Rapala Skitter V we when all say a nice (not as big) trout come up and take it to my surprise. Turns out, had I landed that fish, we’d have won first in the tournament. Oh well, after near limits we headed back to clean fish and enjoy some good food.

Day 3 (6/10/17)

Wind changed, waves sucked. No way to fish same area without live bait or heavy jig heads, so we worked the insides and marshes and one of the guys working a 2” vudu shrimp under a popping cork hooked up with a 22# red that won him the lunker red. Just goes to show you, that you never know what you are gonna catch in salt water. The biggest fish came from one of the smallest lures of the trip.

All in all a heck of a trip and Thursday was a day to remember for a long time to come.
Attached Images

Drundel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2017, 08:02 PM   #2
jrabq
LotsObeach-no Agua

jrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Pirate
Dang, you guys killed them!
jrabq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2017, 08:34 PM   #3
Fishtexx
Registered Users-pm+

Fishtexx has been promoted to PirateFishtexx has been promoted to PirateFishtexx has been promoted to PirateFishtexx has been promoted to PirateFishtexx has been promoted to PirateFishtexx has been promoted to PirateFishtexx has been promoted to PirateFishtexx has been promoted to PirateFishtexx has been promoted to PirateFishtexx has been promoted to PirateFishtexx has been promoted to Pirate
Great trip! 20-40 years ago my dad was the GM at the pogie plant there, I have had many, many epic fishing trips down there!. 5-6 pounder is a hoss for those waters, well done!
Fishtexx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2017, 10:35 PM   #4
4 Ever-Fish N
Registered Users-pm+

4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate
Great report and outstanding catch. Good job.
4 Ever-Fish N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2017, 07:56 AM   #5
Cajuntriton
Registered Users-pm+

Cajuntriton has been promoted to PirateCajuntriton has been promoted to PirateCajuntriton has been promoted to PirateCajuntriton has been promoted to PirateCajuntriton has been promoted to PirateCajuntriton has been promoted to PirateCajuntriton has been promoted to PirateCajuntriton has been promoted to PirateCajuntriton has been promoted to PirateCajuntriton has been promoted to PirateCajuntriton has been promoted to Pirate
Dulac, LA

Epic trip for sure, the stars aligned for the island bite, full moon, high steady pressure, and good tide movement. I have been fishing that area a very long time and Thursday's bite was one of the best ever especially considering the quality of the fish, good problem to have but it was a pain to pick which to weigh in for the tourney they were almost all 2#. That was only the 3rd fish I catch over 5# in the Houma area as well 5.17# and just short of 25". Also to mention working that mirrordine XL was fun but as a reminder to all be careful with trouble hooks I wore it in my arm with a 2# shaking trout attached to it which was probably the only negative thing that happened.

Can't wait to next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cajuntriton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2017, 07:58 AM   #6
Cajuntriton
Registered Users-pm+

Cajuntriton has been promoted to PirateCajuntriton has been promoted to PirateCajuntriton has been promoted to PirateCajuntriton has been promoted to PirateCajuntriton has been promoted to PirateCajuntriton has been promoted to PirateCajuntriton has been promoted to PirateCajuntriton has been promoted to PirateCajuntriton has been promoted to PirateCajuntriton has been promoted to PirateCajuntriton has been promoted to Pirate
Here is a pic of the big money red

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cajuntriton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2017, 09:41 PM   #7
Kansasoutdoorsman
Registered Users-pm+

Kansasoutdoorsman has been promoted to PirateKansasoutdoorsman has been promoted to PirateKansasoutdoorsman has been promoted to PirateKansasoutdoorsman has been promoted to PirateKansasoutdoorsman has been promoted to PirateKansasoutdoorsman has been promoted to PirateKansasoutdoorsman has been promoted to PirateKansasoutdoorsman has been promoted to PirateKansasoutdoorsman has been promoted to PirateKansasoutdoorsman has been promoted to PirateKansasoutdoorsman has been promoted to Pirate
I was there this week. Friday was great then wind picked up and down hill it went. Still great fishing with lots of bulls but trout got tougher by the day. Good job!
Attached Images

Kansasoutdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2017, 09:09 AM   #8
Drundel
Registered Users-pm+

Drundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansasoutdoorsman View Post
I was there this week. Friday was great then wind picked up and down hill it went. Still great fishing with lots of bulls but trout got tougher by the day. Good job!
Did you happen to make it out on Thurs? PM me if you don't want to post up where you fished, but if it was the surf area, man it was impressive to witness all the shrimp and trout.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:25 PM   #9
Kansasoutdoorsman
Registered Users-pm+

Kansasoutdoorsman has been promoted to PirateKansasoutdoorsman has been promoted to PirateKansasoutdoorsman has been promoted to PirateKansasoutdoorsman has been promoted to PirateKansasoutdoorsman has been promoted to PirateKansasoutdoorsman has been promoted to PirateKansasoutdoorsman has been promoted to PirateKansasoutdoorsman has been promoted to PirateKansasoutdoorsman has been promoted to PirateKansasoutdoorsman has been promoted to PirateKansasoutdoorsman has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drundel View Post
Did you happen to make it out on Thurs? PM me if you don't want to post up where you fished, but if it was the surf area, man it was impressive to witness all the shrimp and trout.
No we fished Friday Morning and the Pickets where on fire for a few hours. Once the fish go cleaned out from all the boats it slowed down a ton. Who did you fish with?
Kansasoutdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 07:39 AM   #10
Drundel
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansasoutdoorsman View Post
No we fished Friday Morning and the Pickets where on fire for a few hours. Once the fish go cleaned out from all the boats it slowed down a ton. Who did you fish with?
Locals, no guides.