Break actin air rifle accuracy - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Firearms/Reloading/Handloading Forum

Notices

Old 06-16-2017, 05:34 PM   #1
Toothpick
Registered Users-pm+

Toothpick has been promoted to PirateToothpick has been promoted to PirateToothpick has been promoted to PirateToothpick has been promoted to PirateToothpick has been promoted to PirateToothpick has been promoted to PirateToothpick has been promoted to PirateToothpick has been promoted to PirateToothpick has been promoted to PirateToothpick has been promoted to PirateToothpick has been promoted to Pirate
Break actin air rifle accuracy

My Gammo break action, isn't as accurate as my old pump up Benjamin.
Is this a normal issue, or do I need to tweek something? I have worked it with six different pellets, from a solid rest. I'm shooting about 75', with best pattern about 2". Any advise appreciated
Toothpick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2017, 08:35 PM   #2
Csafisher
Waiting on duck season...

Csafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to Pirate
My gamo isn't as accurate as my old Benjamin either but it will shoot about .75" groups at 25yrds. Some ammo it will shoot all over the place. Best luck with match pellets and round nose. For whatever reason I have trouble getting the pointed ones to shoot as good.
Csafisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 09:37 PM   #3
GT11
Blazer Bay 2200

GT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to Pirate
You should be able to do a lot better than 2" at 25 yds....you should be at 1/2 to 3/4". Those Gamo's can be a little tricky to dial in but I was able to get mine dialed in before I sold it and went to the Benjamin Marauder. My Gamo was a .177 and my Marauder is a .25 Cal.

First, make sure the pellet you are shooting is heavy enough to keep the gun below super sonic speed. If you don't have a crono, you can tell by the sound. If you exceed roughly 1100 fps, the pellet gets very unstable.

Second, the brand pellet makes a lot of difference. My Gamo liked the JSB's Exacts and that is what I shoot in my Marauder too.

Third, clean your barrel if you haven't recently. A dirty barrel will cause accuracy problems. After you clean it, you still need to shoot 10 or so shots in it to let it settle down before getting good accuracy. If the gun is new, don't assume the barrel is clean.

Finally, when I was shooting the Gamo pellets with the red plastic center piece (I can't remember the name of them), I found the diameter of the pellets to be all of the place (and is why I switched to JSB). Some of the Gamo's fell into the barrel and some fit really tight. The tighter ones held a better grouping and the loose ones were all over the place. If you are using a Gamo pellet (and some others), you will have to sort them...another good reason to use JSB's.

My first 5 shoots through my Marauder at 25 yards with JSB's made about a hole and a half, so less than 1/4". My best 25 yd group on the Gamo was 3/8".
GT11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 12:43 PM   #4
Toothpick
Registered Users-pm+

Toothpick has been promoted to PirateToothpick has been promoted to PirateToothpick has been promoted to PirateToothpick has been promoted to PirateToothpick has been promoted to PirateToothpick has been promoted to PirateToothpick has been promoted to PirateToothpick has been promoted to PirateToothpick has been promoted to PirateToothpick has been promoted to PirateToothpick has been promoted to Pirate
Are you using the Gamo scope that comes with the rifle? If not what works best ?
Old 06-17-2017, 07:25 PM   #5
Chase4556
US Army Aviation NSDQ!

Chase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to Pirate
I've got a Benjamin Trail NP 22, and it does pretty well with the Crossman Premier Domes. If I pay attention to how I hold, and sort the pellets(pain in the rear), I can keep about a 2 inch group at 25 yards. Works for what I need it to, but would prefer something better.

Really looking into the Marauder.
Chase4556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2017, 09:42 PM   #6
boltmaster
cat lover

boltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirate
I got a 50 year old Benjamin pump that is a tack driver at 25yds. My sons Gamo is pretty sharp as well though...both 177's
boltmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2017, 10:42 PM   #7
jimk
Wherever you are....BLOOM!

jimk has been promoted to Piratejimk has been promoted to Piratejimk has been promoted to Piratejimk has been promoted to Piratejimk has been promoted to Piratejimk has been promoted to Piratejimk has been promoted to Piratejimk has been promoted to Piratejimk has been promoted to Piratejimk has been promoted to Piratejimk has been promoted to Pirate
Check screws...all need to be tight.
jimk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 08:56 AM   #8
GT11
Blazer Bay 2200

GT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to PirateGT11 has been promoted to Pirate
I use the UTC Leapers scopes. Not super expensive, pretty clear optics and a decent field of view.
GT11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 10:51 AM   #9
Chase4556
US Army Aviation NSDQ!

Chase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to PirateChase4556 has been promoted to Pirate
Also, check out the Charlie Da Tuna triggers. I've got it in my Benjamin, and the difference a good trigger makes is night and day. We all know how terrible the stock triggers are in the Gamos and other like pellet guns. The CDT trigger makes it much much more enjoyable. For $30, its probably the best upgrade for the money that you can do.

http://charliedatuna.com/
Chase4556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2017, 09:19 PM   #10
Toothpick
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase4556 View Post
Also, check out the Charlie Da Tuna triggers. I've got it in my Benjamin, and the difference a good trigger makes is night and day. We all know how terrible the stock triggers are in the Gamos and other like pellet guns. The CDT trigger makes it much much more enjoyable. For $30, its probably the best upgrade for the money that you can do.

http://charliedatuna.com/
I ordered one today, it sounds like a good upgrade . Thanks for all the help