Sheldon Reservoir - Page 3 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Fresh water forums > Freshwater Fishing General Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-19-2017, 08:20 AM   #21
Bankin' On It
Registered Users-pm+

Bankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to PirateBankin' On It has been promoted to Pirate
<--- Born and raised on the east side. They don't play when it comes to stealing anything not bolted down. So frustrating I left.

The best fishing spots in that reservoir are the areas covered in lilly pads and inaccessible by motor boat. Canoe, yes...but then ya got the alligator factor. *shudders*

We would tear up the bass with a lilly pad jumping frog. If ya see a big swirl following your lure...JERK IT OUT QUICK! You're leading a gator straight to ya!
Bankin' On It is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2017, 08:41 AM   #22
waterspout
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!

waterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankin' On It View Post
<--- Born and raised on the east side. They don't play when it comes to stealing anything not bolted down. So frustrating I left.

The best fishing spots in that reservoir are the areas covered in lilly pads and inaccessible by motor boat. Canoe, yes...but then ya got the alligator factor. *shudders*

We would tear up the bass with a lilly pad jumping frog. If ya see a big swirl following your lure...JERK IT OUT QUICK! You're leading a gator straight to ya!

we use to take the john boat trolling for those suckers as a kid. I'd throw top waters and everything I had at those gators trying to get one to hit it! lol maybe not smart but dang we had fun!

True,, park on garrett lot and canoe or john boat around the pads up north of garrettt. The parking lot on that end is safer than the south end. the old levee on the south end that use to be at the spillway was a cotton mouth heaven. Lived over here 50 yrs now.
waterspout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 09:40 AM   #23
redexpress
Registered Users-pm+

redexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirate
I forgot about Highlands Reservoir. I looked on Google satellite and didn't see a ramp. We fished that a little bit, but that was decades ago.
I think Sheldon was drained to re-work the levees. In my opinion it hasn't been the same since. I believe TP&W stocks it with Florida bass now. I just grew up fishing for native bass. I know the Floridas get bigger but it seems I can only catch a few per trip.
Weather cools off I'm gonna put the GoDevil in Sheldon.

Waterspout...I grew up in one of the finer sections on the east side...McCarty Drive at Loop 610. Wasn't really so bad in the 1950-60's. My folks moved to Beltway 8 @ 90 (Royalwood) after I got out of school. We lived in Woodforest for a time until we moved east to Liberty about 25 years ago.

Last edited by redexpress; 06-19-2017 at 09:47 AM.
redexpress is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 10:54 AM   #24
waterspout

waterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Piratewaterspout has been promoted to Pirate
Cheers

Woodforest most of my life and now in Atascocita. I ran North Shore when it was 90% woods! Not many ponds in this area I don't know. Little secret. the Ditch north duessen park off lake H prkwy in summerwood is a awesome canal to fish. it's alway been there.

Hint: it feeds sheldon reservoir from the lake!
Old 06-19-2017, 10:59 AM   #25
waterspout

you can park off L h prkwy and fish the crick, it's loaded with bass and the new super fish of the world. LMAO TILIPIA, big suckers too. They're aren't farmed raised and are actually good eating. besides. If you hook it you have to keep it. Against law to throw it back, It's invasive
Old 06-19-2017, 11:00 AM   #26
Harbormaster
To Endeavor to Persevere

Harbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to PirateHarbormaster has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterspout View Post
we use to take the john boat trolling for those suckers as a kid. I'd throw top waters and everything I had at those gators trying to get one to hit it! lol maybe not smart but dang we had fun!

True,, park on garrett lot and canoe or john boat around the pads up north of garrettt. The parking lot on that end is safer than the south end. the old levee on the south end that use to be at the spillway was a cotton mouth heaven. Lived over here 50 yrs now.
Got this guy out of Sheldon on a white lunker lure with a trailer hook. Used to wade it at night and I had just got in the water and saw what I thought was a bull frog following my bait, so I slowed it down and he nailed it.

I drug him up to the truck and flipped him into the bed. Took him to the apartment and fed him ham in the tub for 2 days, then took him back and released him. Coons are much easier to tame!
Attached Images

Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 12:24 PM   #27
Bass Slayer
Registered Users-pm+

Bass Slayer is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Highlands reservoir, turtle bayou and there has been quite a few boats etc. at sheldon lately with people around the ramp throughout the day. quite a few boats catching nice fat bass and crappie too! they opened the parking lot up off garrett And it's been packed like the old days with crappie fisher-peoples everywhere with their lawn chairs.

Is there a ramp off of Garrett? People around may deter theft. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bass Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #28
waterspout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Slayer View Post
Is there a ramp off of Garrett? People around may deter theft. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
a small boat trailer off the bank... not a good ramp. that's john boat and canoe country up there. You can launch a 20' with a 250hp on the back at south ramp. better not get caught with it in the water. it's 9.9 or trolling motor! I use a 14' john with a 30lb in it, all you need. There are some hogs in that hole if you piddle with it a little.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:43 PM   #29
waterspout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
Got this guy out of Sheldon on a white lunker lure with a trailer hook. Used to wade it at night and I had just got in the water and saw what I thought was a bull frog following my bait, so I slowed it down and he nailed it.

I drug him up to the truck and flipped him into the bed. Took him to the apartment and fed him ham in the tub for 2 days, then took him back and released him. Coons are much easier to tame!
I've been there moving a 8plus'r off Pineland rd more than once! Think all my buds back in the day had a dent or two in the bed of their truck from those tails. lol
Old 06-19-2017, 02:25 PM   #30
redexpress
Registered Users-pm+

redexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
a small boat trailer off the bank... not a good ramp. that's john boat and canoe country up there. You can launch a 20' with a 250hp on the back at south ramp. better not get caught with it in the water. it's 9.9 or trolling motor! I use a 14' john with a 30lb in it, all you need. There are some hogs in that hole if you piddle with it a little.
I think they eliminated the rule on 9.9 and below. I believe you can launch anything and run anything but only at idle speed. Like you say...a jon boat and trolling motor will cover it.
The word back in the day was when the zoo had too many gators they brought them to Sheldon. I don't if that's true.
Yeah we lived on White Cedar and then Stillington in Woodforest West. It just got a bit too intense.
I remember when Uvalde was a terrible 2 lane humped back road. We used to ride bicycles from Oates Prairie down Wallisville Rd. to the YMCA before Wallisville was paved. Dang I'm OLD!
redexpress is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message