Which Solunar program do you use? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 06-18-2017, 10:54 AM   #1
JimD
JimD

JimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to Pirate
Which Solunar program do you use?

Which Solunar program do you use?

Does it give you the correct information? It is amazing just how many do not have the correct data.

Trivia: Did you know that John Alden came up with this concept and for each 12 miles east or west from where the chart was constructed for the time changes 1 minute + west and - east? There is a 51 minute difference from the Louisiana border to the New Mexico border.

The most accurate table I have seen was done by EJ and Mike McBride for EJ's TEX SWF Mag. years ago. The original one was hand drawn and a work of art. The original mag chart was done for Galveston area. I am guessing the new one is too.

What to look for in the program that you use ( EJ’s info Paraphrased from the old chart)

Majors
Majors are caused when the Moon is Directly overhead or Under foot. Majors run 1 to 1.5 hr BEFORE AND AFTER the moon is directly overhead or under foot.

Minors
Minors RUN 1 TO 1.5 hours AFTER the moon rises and 1 TO 1.5 Hours BEFORE THE MOON SETS.

Look at this information and compare it to the program you use.

I was looking for a new droid app.
I have found programs where they start the major at the moon directly over head and not in the middle of the moon directly over head.

MANY will start the moon down AFTER THE MOON SETS and not the time before it sets. I noticed that 4 Tides had this problem yesterday. They start their minor after the moon sets not the time before.

Other programs do not take into effect "daylight savings time".

Happy Father's Day. Jim

My gift to you is recommend you spend the 12 dollars to get EJ's mag but EVEN BETTER "Go back and read thru the mag's archives of that extend back into 2006. There are fantastic articles here from old timer's that have long since retired but shared their stories, tips and tricks in these issues.
If you are stuck and cannot fish hopefully you can go back and read what worked back then for these guides. I got tied up reading some articles when I went back to find the old tables from the mag.

Last edited by JimD; 06-18-2017 at 11:05 AM.
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2017, 11:23 AM   #2
JimD
JimD

JimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to Pirate
another thing to ck

Also noticed that 4 tides starts their moon over head at the peak and not the middle of the time that the moon is directly over head.

I am looking at the Jamaica Beach set up today and yesterday.

Did not have the moon under to ck it either.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:35 AM   #3
troutsupport

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
The one in Texas Saltwater Fishing Magazine is the old standard for sure. great resource.
troutsupport is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2017, 02:15 PM   #4
kenny
Registered Users-pm+

kenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Piratekenny has been promoted to Pirate
I originally used the Wells solunar tables 20+ years ago, but for a good while I've used http://www.usprimetimes.com/index.html but I still can't catch any fish.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2017, 03:09 PM   #5
JimD
JimD

I launched yesterday at JB and we were looking for you down there Kenny.

Tobin, Wait till you get McTrout telling the story on how he and EJ got that table designed and how long it took to hand do the original one each one for the mag. Still can not believe that people do not take advantage of all the information that is stored in those old magazines esp from some of the old guys that retired.

Jim

Kenny that one looks good. Little bit of difference in the set and rise and I guess the big thing there is how long before the moon comes up does the minor really start and how long after the moon sets is it still affecting things?

EJ's uses the rise and set times but guess it is working 10-20 minutes before and after the moon does its thing.

Last edited by JimD; 06-18-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:41 PM   #6
topwatrout1
Registered Users-pm+

topwatrout1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateertopwatrout1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateertopwatrout1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateertopwatrout1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateertopwatrout1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateertopwatrout1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateertopwatrout1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateertopwatrout1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateertopwatrout1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateertopwatrout1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateertopwatrout1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
JimD, excellent post. Been waiting on some clarification for the different apps showing different times and no one has seemed to know.

I highly recommend the book Moon Up, Moon Down by John Alden for anyone who wants to learn more.
topwatrout1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 12:42 AM   #7
SolarScreenGuy

SolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutsupport View Post
The one in Texas Saltwater Fishing Magazine is the old standard for sure. great resource.
This! Makes it simple!
www.solarscreenguys.com
www.houstonshutterpro.com
SolarScreenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 05:17 AM   #8
baystealthbob
Registered Users-pm+

baystealthbob is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
This site has a lot of info for planning. We'll see how accurate it is - I've scheduled 6 trips this year around it:

http://www.tides4fishing.com/us/texas/port-o-connor
baystealthbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 05:44 AM   #9
Bird
No fish in West Bay

Bird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to Pirate
I use Tides4fishing. Seems to be pretty good but actual wind and tide movement have a lot of impact.
Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 06:38 AM   #10
JimD
JimD

Hey Bird If you look at what EJ did then compare it to your Tides for fishing program you will see these things that do not match up.
(Personally I like the site for every thing but the wrong Solunar Info

For today at Jamica Beach. Look at the chart and compare this to EJ's. If you look it it you cMoon over head Wrong They start their two hour major just as the moon is over head instead. an see where and why it is flawed.

Moon up 2:45 am 2:45 to 3:45 RIGHT minor
Over Head 9:10 am 9:10 to 11:10 WRONG major
Moon Down 3:36 pm 3:36 to 4:36 WRONG minor

Moon up is correct

Moon Down should be the last hour or so BEFORE the moon goes down not start AFTER the moon sets

The Correct time is the Major starts BEFORE the Moon Over head and Peaks at the Moon over head and goes down from there. Moon Over Head is the middle of the major not the start of it

I did not see the times for the Moon under but guess it is off the same way.

Really if you have the moon rise and set you can fig these things out for your self even without a table or computer. It is just sad that many programmers did not understand the Knight's theory and just used the numbers in the program formula that they did or used.