Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 06-18-2017, 06:43 PM   #1
Deer30
Registered Users-pm+

Deer30 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Rockport guide/ in my boat

Looking for a guide to take me and the wife around rockport area, st charles ...etc. have a boat and just looking to learn the area better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deer30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2017, 06:50 PM   #2
Deer30
Registered Users-pm+

Deer30 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Think of it as a free fishing trip and you're just pointing us in the right direction. We use artificial 95% of the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deer30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2017, 09:17 PM   #3
Kyle 1974
Registered Users-pm+

Kyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to Pirate
most guides are going to want their normal rate, or possibly a little more to take you in your own boat.

as a function of passing on knowledge that they've gained over a number of years, that knowledge is typically not free.
Kyle 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2017, 09:19 PM   #4
fido98
Registered Users-pm+

fido98 has been promoted to Piratefido98 has been promoted to Piratefido98 has been promoted to Piratefido98 has been promoted to Piratefido98 has been promoted to Piratefido98 has been promoted to Piratefido98 has been promoted to Piratefido98 has been promoted to Piratefido98 has been promoted to Piratefido98 has been promoted to Piratefido98 has been promoted to Pirate
My experience trying to do the same was for the majority of guides their boat is a sunk cost so don't expect much of a discount vs taking their boat. Most that I reached out to would only discount by 10% or so as they still have to pay the same bills regardless of which boat you take. I ended up booking a trip, but, spent most of the time running around learning areas rather than fishing and to me it was worth the investment.

If you don't own the TroutSupport dvd's yet, that is probably the best thing you can spend $ on to shorten the learning curve for about a third of the cost of a guide.
fido98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 12:27 AM   #5
SolarScreenGuy

SolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to Pirate
Check out www.fishrockport.com You will find a good list of guides there.

That should be a good place to start your search. Good luck to you.
www.solarscreenguys.com
www.houstonshutterpro.com

Last edited by SolarScreenGuy; 06-19-2017 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Add to post
SolarScreenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 01:53 AM   #6
Redfish Rick

Redfish Rick has been promoted to PirateRedfish Rick has been promoted to PirateRedfish Rick has been promoted to PirateRedfish Rick has been promoted to PirateRedfish Rick has been promoted to PirateRedfish Rick has been promoted to PirateRedfish Rick has been promoted to PirateRedfish Rick has been promoted to PirateRedfish Rick has been promoted to PirateRedfish Rick has been promoted to PirateRedfish Rick has been promoted to Pirate
I do teaching trips in customers boats for $300 for 4 hours. It is primarily safe navigation focused, and pointing out good fishing areas along the way. I will show you what to look for in every area and how tide/wind effect fish in each area we visit. The primary focus is learning safe running routes to and from good fishing areas and through tricky cuts and reefs. I have no problem sharing this knowledge, and even stopping to fish for a few minutes if I notice some activity along the way. I have been guiding here in Rockport for 15 years and I run the entire Northern Rockport area AT NIGHT for my charters, so I have a very good idea how to run these bays safely...

I have taken many people on these kind of trips over the last few years, and many call me back to tell me it was the best money they ever spent. Showing a boater that's new to the area how to run safely and avoid sandbars and reefs takes a lot of stress away when they do come back on their own to fish...

As for daytime fishing, I have no skin in the game (I guide only flounder gigging at night), so I don't mind showing you all my favorite honey holes for trout and reds.

Give me a call if your interested,

Capt. Rick Hammond
Night Stalker Guide Service - Rockport, TX
361-229-6053
nightstalkerguideservice.com
Redfish Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 06:33 AM   #7
Dick Hanks
Pike

Dick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to Pirate
I'm surprised that more guides aren't willing to do what Redfish Rick is doing. Most should have enough good spots that they can point some out and not worry a competition.

The last couple of winters I have been hiring a guide in the Florida Keys at least 2 times per winter. He charges $650 for a full day on one of his boats, and $300 for a full day on our boat. I always ask him to takes us out on our boat. I have to furnish any bait or chum, but he will bring any tackle that I would like on the boat and I don't have. He is fine will me laying trails on the GPS and putting in way points. He may not take me to his best spots because of this, but they are VERY GOOD spots.

If the wind allows us to go on the Atlantic side I always catch Dolphin or Tuna, and on the Gulf side at least 20 assorted fish in spots that are otherwise hard to find. As he said, "Any good guide should have a couple of dozen "known" spots that they can share."

It seems that everything in the Florida Keys is more expensive than Texas.... except for guide service.

Gas cost them at least 40 to 50 cents a gallon more in the Keys and all of their living expenses are higher as well. Seriously ...... I don't get it.

Last edited by Dick Hanks; 06-19-2017 at 06:42 AM.
Dick Hanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 06:36 PM   #8
Kyle 1974
Registered Users-pm+

Kyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to PirateKyle 1974 has been promoted to Pirate
I do it, but i charge my normal rate. My opinion is that the information I'm passing on cost a lot of time and money for myself. Showing someone various routes into areas is a pretty good deal for a normal Charter rate. I also show people how to fully utilize their GPS units and give tactics more so than just pointing to "spots"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Kyle 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2017, 04:46 PM   #9
Anderson Guide Service
Registered Users-pm+

Anderson Guide Service has been promoted to PirateAnderson Guide Service has been promoted to PirateAnderson Guide Service has been promoted to PirateAnderson Guide Service has been promoted to PirateAnderson Guide Service has been promoted to PirateAnderson Guide Service has been promoted to PirateAnderson Guide Service has been promoted to PirateAnderson Guide Service has been promoted to PirateAnderson Guide Service has been promoted to PirateAnderson Guide Service has been promoted to PirateAnderson Guide Service has been promoted to Pirate
PM sent
Anderson Guide Service is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2017, 08:38 PM   #10
K Man
K Man

K Man has been promoted to PirateK Man has been promoted to PirateK Man has been promoted to PirateK Man has been promoted to PirateK Man has been promoted to PirateK Man has been promoted to PirateK Man has been promoted to PirateK Man has been promoted to PirateK Man has been promoted to PirateK Man has been promoted to PirateK Man has been promoted to Pirate
Looking for assistance here with GPS also. Be glad to pay a full rate.
K Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message