Middle bay Redfish....Tobin or others - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 06-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #1
bigfishtx
Registered Users-pm+

bigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Pirate
Middle bay Redfish....Tobin or others

It seems like every year we go through this spell where the reds all but disappear from the middle bay systems. I know the Aransas Pass area has very few reds right now, but, they are reports are they are plentiful up in Nueces bay, as well as San Antonio bay.
I also know the shrimp right now are scarce.

So where do you guys think they go, this time of the year?
bigfishtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2017, 03:18 PM   #2
troutsupport

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Its the opposite.. the reds have been out with the shrimp since mid February in the main bays on the way to the gulf (Brown shrimp have been leaving).. that's starting to thin out right now finally (thats why the shrimp are scarce for bait stands as well) and we're starting to see redfish show up all over the place on the flats and they'll be sneaking back into the marsh stronger between now and the end of June. The best marshes right now either have shad or glass minnows in them or any small baitfish.. for redfish that means anything 1/2 inch or longer .. not necessarily looking for mullet.. on the flats and the back lakes they are going to start looking for crabs and grass shrimp as well, they won't pass up a mullet imitation for a meal though. You should start seeing them in their usual places on the flats and back lakes soon.. might still be a week or 2 out as we've had an extended coolness to the spring and high winds aid that as well. Look in the feeder cuts into the marsh and back lakes and there are more juvenile shad upper bay usually.. you might start hunting up in Copano as well unless the recent rains blew it out, but for that bay I think it should be ok.. Check local conditions to that area.
troutsupport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #3
Mundo97
Registered Users-pm+

Mundo97 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Middle bay Redfish....Tobin or others

Hey Tobin, I have your videos (which are awesome btw), but need to go back and review a few things on the location of redfish throughout the year. I will go ahead ask you here. Some buddies and I are planning a fishing trip probably to the Rockport area. As a primer, we may not have a boat. A) in your opinion, between July, August, sep - what is the best month to have success in the various wading spots in case of no boat B) In the Rockport area, what do you think the best general method would be (ie deep/shallow) to have some success during that time- we are after trout as well (who wouldn't be). Seems like it would be pretty hot and the fishing would be better deep,but don't know if redfish are still back in some of the flats during that time. We are considering a guide as well. Thanks in advance

Edit: and I did a heck of a job hijacking this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mundo97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 04:34 PM   #4
Txredfish
Registered Users-pm+

Txredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to Pirate
In the last couple of weeks I have fished from Trout Bayou to Ingleside. Reds are almost not there. Only caught one or two non keepers each day. Caught a few trout on plastics. I don't know what happened to the fish. Reds have disappeared. Not seeing much signs such as seeing the reds or mud boils. I have seen a lot of mullet in different places.
Txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 04:54 PM   #5
bigfishtx
Registered Users-pm+

bigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txredfish View Post
In the last couple of weeks I have fished from Trout Bayou to Ingleside. Reds are almost not there. Only caught one or two non keepers each day. Caught a few trout on plastics. I don't know what happened to the fish. Reds have disappeared. Not seeing much signs such as seeing the reds or mud boils. I have seen a lot of mullet in different places.
We were catching nice reds a month ago, same story here. Guides are not even trying for them now.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:28 PM   #6
Txredfish
Registered Users-pm+

Txredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to Pirate
Went today. Same old story for the last couple weeks. 1 keeper red and 2 throwbacks. I did not see any signs of reds on the Estes flats and not a lot of bait size mullet. Both reported seeing no reds in flats. I talked to one guide and he said that he saw a few reds back in the lakes but would not hit anything. He had a few trout but no reds. The reds have disappeared. A lot of boats in parking lot but very few on the flats.
Txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #7
troutsupport

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Then they are all still out deep, like they have been all spring. We were blessed with one of the best shrimp crops in many years on the gulf coast and they're still out deep hounding them. I do know that there are reds on 2 different flats, one reported seeing schools of 200 fish. No, it wasn't estes. it'll get there. The extended wind and cooler temperatures arn't helping bring them back on the flats yet.
troutsupport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2017, 12:41 PM   #8
bigfishtx
Registered Users-pm+

So Tobin, you say they are deep, you mean in 8' bay water or in the gulf? Shrimpers are not catching shrimp in this bay complex.

I broke off a bull red this morning so that was encouraging.