Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 06-15-2017, 05:55 PM   #1
Mundo97
Registered Users-pm+

Mundo97 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Summer trip.. opinion from the board and or Tobin

I managed to hijack BigFishTx's thread so I started a new one

All and Tobin (Trout Support videos are outstanding): My Buddies and I take a summer fishing trip every year. We tend to hit Rockport but that is not necessarily the only option. We generally don't have a boat but it is possible. The months we have the chance of going are July-Aug-Sep... or even Oct if it is better. There is a lot of heat during that time and am unsure what the best method of attack is going to be (deeper water only for example). I am going to go back through Tobin's videos that discuss areas to focus on throughout the year, but I would be interested to hear from you guys which of those months make the most sense to you and a good general area to look at (rockport, Baffin, etc). For the purposes of this discussion lets assume we won't have a boat, will definitely be doing some night pier fishing, and are willing to wade areas other times of the day.

There will be 5 of us as well... we are willing to consider guides but that obviously is too many for one.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks all
Mundo97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 09:21 AM   #2
troutsupport

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
I'd say October has to be the best month in Rockport. For July and Ausgust, I'd focus solely on redfish, probably september as well. Don't forget night wading the flats as well.. with or without full moon. I know it's eerie but there's some pretty cool stuff at night like bio-luminescence, and you don't have to mess with the sun. Some better trout will sneak up into the potholes at that time as well. I would probably hit the early am side start at 4 and then fish a couple hours of morning light as well. it's a tough schedule though. October you don't have to do that. I would also suggest continuing to fish though February unless hunting has you tied up. I bow-hunt in October and get'er done by thanks giving for sure. Then get back to fishing... bays during the week that time of year are awesome.

Back to your OP... yes, in July and August and probab even Sept the better trout will be deeper and many will fall into the ICW for that as well. If you hit a morning wade, best trout will be on a flat that has potholes adjacent to deep water as close as possible. Laquinta channel might even be an option if you can get there.. you've got depth and there are thin edges of grass at the top and some smaller flats right next to deep.

Going with Jay Watkins or his son (might split your crew up with both) might be a great way to add to your shortening the learning curve even more.
troutsupport is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 01:25 PM   #3
Mundo97
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutsupport View Post
I'd say October has to be the best month in Rockport. For July and Ausgust, I'd focus solely on redfish, probably september as well. Don't forget night wading the flats as well.. with or without full moon. I know it's eerie but there's some pretty cool stuff at night like bio-luminescence, and you don't have to mess with the sun. Some better trout will sneak up into the potholes at that time as well. I would probably hit the early am side start at 4 and then fish a couple hours of morning light as well. it's a tough schedule though. October you don't have to do that. I would also suggest continuing to fish though February unless hunting has you tied up. I bow-hunt in October and get'er done by thanks giving for sure. Then get back to fishing... bays during the week that time of year are awesome.

Back to your OP... yes, in July and August and probab even Sept the better trout will be deeper and many will fall into the ICW for that as well. If you hit a morning wade, best trout will be on a flat that has potholes adjacent to deep water as close as possible. Laquinta channel might even be an option if you can get there.. you've got depth and there are thin edges of grass at the top and some smaller flats right next to deep.

Going with Jay Watkins or his son (might split your crew up with both) might be a great way to add to your shortening the learning curve even more.

Outstanding, Tobin. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2017, 01:38 PM   #4
blackjack runner
Registered Users-pm+

blackjack runner has been promoted to Pirateblackjack runner has been promoted to Pirateblackjack runner has been promoted to Pirateblackjack runner has been promoted to Pirateblackjack runner has been promoted to Pirateblackjack runner has been promoted to Pirateblackjack runner has been promoted to Pirateblackjack runner has been promoted to Pirateblackjack runner has been promoted to Pirateblackjack runner has been promoted to Pirateblackjack runner has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutsupport View Post

Late Aug and early Sept are brutally hot. I go during these months but go early and get in early. Agree about October. Much more pleasant fishing, less crowded and beautiful water conditions.
I also agree Jay Watkins and Jay Ray are two of the best guys on the coast and are educators as well as guides, but if not mistaken, head to Port Mansfield during the Fall Winter. Check with them.
Dont forget about Baffin and the land cut during October if you get the opportunity. Awesome time to be fishing in that region. Most guides run from Marker 37 or Flour bluff which is a short drive from Rockport.
Good luck, and enjoy being on the water.
blackjack runner is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 08:13 PM   #5
Mundo97
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack runner View Post
Late Aug and early Sept are brutally hot. I go during these months but go early and get in early. Agree about October. Much more pleasant fishing, less crowded and beautiful water conditions.

I also agree Jay Watkins and Jay Ray are two of the best guys on the coast and are educators as well as guides, but if not mistaken, head to Port Mansfield during the Fall Winter. Check with them.

Dont forget about Baffin and the land cut during October if you get the opportunity. Awesome time to be fishing in that region. Most guides run from Marker 37 or Flour bluff which is a short drive from Rockport.

Good luck, and enjoy being on the water.

Forgive my ignorance, what is the land cut? Other than a few spots in Rockport I don't know much from there south (mostly hit east Matagorda). I mainly brought up Baffin because of what I have heard about it. Do you know of a good area to stay on Baffin where we can chill at night on a private pier and hang out? I couldn't seem to find one. If not, like you say, Rockport isn't far from Baffin if we get a guide. Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2017, 10:03 AM   #6
troutsupport

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Im not aware of too many lodging situations like hotels that have a lighted private pier. there are public lighted piers on baffin. 2 I think.

You can stay on Baffin on the Rocks, and there are some new lodging / accomodations.

I'd really book a guide in baffin though. Book your group with Aubry Black at Baffin Bay Rod and Gun.. he knows baffin and lives down there. One of the coolest things is being able to talk with him, Sally, Marcus Canales and the other guides after fishing or during dinner.

The Land Cut is the ICW cut through between the upper Laguna and Mansfield. A lot of fish will just stay in the land cut during the summer because of the strong current and depth. There are cabins on the land cut you can rent but you need a boat to get there and 9 mile hole is a shallow boat area... prob 3' mostly or less.
troutsupport is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2017, 11:25 AM   #7
Capt. Marcus Canales

Capt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to PirateCapt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to PirateCapt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to PirateCapt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to PirateCapt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to PirateCapt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to PirateCapt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to PirateCapt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to PirateCapt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to PirateCapt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to PirateCapt. Marcus Canales has been promoted to Pirate
I would love to say come stay with us at Baffin Bay Rod and Gun, but it sounds like one of the big things you are looking for is a private lighted pier, which we are not located on the water.

I do have access to a few houses though with piers and one even has a pool, if you are interested, message me and I can send you some rates for those places

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Capt. Marcus Canales is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message