Redfish Surprise - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 06-16-2017, 10:20 AM   #1
LarryG
Registered Users-pm+

LarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to Pirate
Redfish Surprise

Was fishing under my lights on Caney Creek Wednesday night and was reeling in a 12" sand trout. To my surprise following it back to the pier was a large red. Before I could lift the trout out of the water to release it, the red swallowed it and swam off. I released the bail and was hoping to wait long enough for the red to swallow deep enough to not be able to spit back out. It swam around my pier and out to my lights. After a minute it headed to my neighbors lights and he was fishing at the time. So, I tightend up on the line and out came the sand trout. Anyone else have a similar experience?
LarryG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 10:28 AM   #2
1528mac
Sharing is Careing

1528mac has been promoted to Pirate1528mac has been promoted to Pirate1528mac has been promoted to Pirate1528mac has been promoted to Pirate1528mac has been promoted to Pirate1528mac has been promoted to Pirate1528mac has been promoted to Pirate1528mac has been promoted to Pirate1528mac has been promoted to Pirate1528mac has been promoted to Pirate1528mac has been promoted to Pirate
Was fishing near the concrete boat in Galveston several years ago. Landed a big red on a sand trout. He put up a great fight, released for another day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk
1528mac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 11:40 AM   #3
SaltwaterSlick
Registered Users-pm+

SaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to Pirate
similar but different... Mine was a 30+ red comin' to the boat and JAWS inhaled him... Fortunately I was able to thumb my reel before he spooled me! Scared the heck out of all of us as we were gettin' ready to grab the fish when he came along side the boat...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 12:59 PM   #4
salty_waders
Registered Users-pm+

salty_waders has been promoted to Piratesalty_waders has been promoted to Piratesalty_waders has been promoted to Piratesalty_waders has been promoted to Piratesalty_waders has been promoted to Piratesalty_waders has been promoted to Piratesalty_waders has been promoted to Piratesalty_waders has been promoted to Piratesalty_waders has been promoted to Piratesalty_waders has been promoted to Piratesalty_waders has been promoted to Pirate
I was wading the surf several years ago catching trout. I hooked into a small one and I was reeling it in fast when another fish started nipping at it and chasing it. I thought it was a small shark so I kept trying to pull it away from it. The "shark" chased the small trout within 3-4 feet of me. It wasn't a shark...it was the largest trout I have ever seen. It was massive.
salty_waders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 06:18 PM   #5
pocjetty
I hate rude behavior in a man.

pocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty_waders View Post
I was wading the surf several years ago catching trout. I hooked into a small one and I was reeling it in fast when another fish started nipping at it and chasing it. I thought it was a small shark so I kept trying to pull it away from it. The "shark" chased the small trout within 3-4 feet of me. It wasn't a shark...it was the largest trout I have ever seen. It was massive.

Heh. Big trout will eat small trout. So will big flounder. I posted a pic of one a couple of winters ago that had an 11 1/2" trout rolled up in her belly like a baseball. And one of the best baits for really big bass is a hand-sized crappie.

Just for the record, it's illegal to intentionally use small trout or hand-sized crappie for bait.
pocjetty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 08:29 PM   #6
karstopo
Registered Users-pm+

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
Several years ago, I had on a 12" speck on and a big, 33" or so red, followed the trout in and kept trying to inhale it. The redfish was completely focused on the trout and never noticed me even when I pushed at it with the rod. Around and around they went. This was mid morning in a bay in a cooler month. I finally stopped it by putting the net between the red and the trout. Redfish get weird sometimes.
karstopo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 08:56 PM   #7
sundownbrown
Registered Users-pm+

sundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Pirate
One night I was fishing on our pier in Baffin Bay and thought I hooked a small redfish because usually small trout will come to the top of the water. This one didn't, well come to find out when I got it next to the pier it was the biggest trout I have ever seen. I have seen 30 inch trout before. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and of course I didn't have a net, my dad said look at the mouth and there was a trout tail sticking out of its mouth. I was about to jump in and grab it when it spit the little trout out of his mouth. Well the small trout was still hooked and ended up measuring 15 inches. This big trout had swallowed the little one I had originally hooked. It was freaking huge. I'm glad my dad and buddy were there because no one would have believed me.
sundownbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 10:23 PM   #8
4 Ever-Fish N
Registered Users-pm+

4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate4 Ever-Fish N has been promoted to Pirate
Is this true for sand trout too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocjetty View Post
Just for the record, it's illegal to intentionally use small trout or hand-sized crappie for bait.
4 Ever-Fish N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2017, 06:57 AM   #9
reelthreat
Do you know who I think I am???

reelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Pirate
A little different but I caught a channel cat and a large yellow cat about 50-60 pound swollowed it. It didn't even fight and when I got it to the boat it let go and slowly swam back down to the deep water.
reelthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message