Amberjack season set to close - Page 11 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise  |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Notices

Old 03-28-2017, 02:55 PM   #101
JFolm
Act your wage.

JFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to PirateJFolm has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn C View Post
That's been my idea for a long time...State water out to 200 nautical miles...problem solved!
Fify
JFolm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2017, 10:21 AM   #102
Captn C
Reel Gambler

Captn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to PirateCaptn C has been promoted to Pirate
Well 200nmiles would keep them from doing the same thing to YFT which I'm sure is coming!
Captn C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2017, 11:12 AM   #103
hilton

hilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Pirate
Amendment 40 (Sector Separation) was supposedly just about red snapper.
Immediately after AM 40 was approved (by dubious means), they began work on AMs 41 and 42, which would transfer ownership of our fish via Catch Shares to the for-hire corporations.
If you go to: http://gulfcouncil.org/council_meeti...010-7-2016.pdf
and
http://gulfcouncil.org/council_meeti...%20Council.pdf
you will see that the Sector Separationists (who claimed Sector Separation was NOT about Catch Shares) were either uninformed or lying - you make the call.

AMs 41 and 42 are ALL ABOUT CATCH SHARES and have expanded their fish grab to include not only red snapper, but now includes greater amberjack, grey triggerfish, gag grouper, and red grouper. If approved, the federal fisheries managers will carve out a sizable portion of our recreational catch limit and gift it to the for-hire corporations for their personal property.

Now, Gary Jarvis, Shane Cantrell, and other EDF-funded captains are pushing for electronic logbooks where they have already been collecting landings data not only for reef fish, but also coastal migratory pelagics. Why? They are building a landings history on everything they catch so that they can lay ownership claims on cobia, wahoo, dorado, and tuna as well.

The NMFS/Gulf Council have failed at their job. They have promoted policies in the last 10 years since Catch Shares were introduced that favors commercial operations at the DIRECT EXPENSE of recreational fishermen and the coastal communities and businesses that rely on them.

The proof is in the pudding; pre-IFQ commercial corporations fished 120 days/year and enjoyed harvesting 4.54 million pounds of snapper. pre-IFQ recreational fishermen enjoyed 194 day seasons / 4 fish bag limits.

Today, commercial corporations enjoy 130% of pre-IFQ harvest levels and 300% of pre-IFQ access. Recreational fishermen however, had just 3% of pre-IFQ access last year, and most certainly less than that this year.

The NMFS/Gulf Council think that managing the Gulf's reef fish, such as snapper, as one unit is the best way to do it. Never mind that the ecosystems, biomass, and effort change dramatically from state to state. Texas fishermen are being managed by what is happening off of Florida. It's like TPWD managing our Texas deer herds based on what is happening with deer populations/hunters in Alabama - they don't do that, because it doesn't make sense scientifically, biologically, or economically.

It's time to call it what it is; the federal fisheries management process is a dismal failure - there is more to managing the fishery than just the fish as there is much more involved than that. Ignoring the effects of Catch Shares on coastal communities, jobs, and other sectors is not acceptable.

It's their job to make sure the fisheries are managed fairly and equitably. Obviously, that is not happening, and not only that, they want to blame the recreational fishermen for not being "accountable". It's not our job - it is in fact THEIR job to make sure their is equilibrium, and we need to demand that it gets done.

The fishery is waaaay out of whack in favor of the commercial/enviro interests. It's time to take steps to provide balance, and it is again obvious that will never happen at the federal level. The answer is state management out to 200 miles.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:41 PM   #104
fishingredcat
Registered Users-pm+

fishingredcat is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
So, I’m reading as many posts concerning the rec fishing problems. I was at the Thursday meeting and was encouraged at the turnout. It would seem that the consensus is for the states to control more miles out. My question is, how can this be accomplished, is it even possible? I’ve already emailed all of my federal and state representatives from President Trump down to my local officials. Can someone, (sorry if this has been addressed, I couldn’t find it through searches), give a step-by-step guide as to the process for giving Texas more control?
fishingredcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017, 07:39 AM   #105
btravlin2
Registered Users-pm+

btravlin2 has been promoted to Piratebtravlin2 has been promoted to Piratebtravlin2 has been promoted to Piratebtravlin2 has been promoted to Piratebtravlin2 has been promoted to Piratebtravlin2 has been promoted to Piratebtravlin2 has been promoted to Piratebtravlin2 has been promoted to Piratebtravlin2 has been promoted to Piratebtravlin2 has been promoted to Piratebtravlin2 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilton View Post
It's time to call it what it is; the federal fisheries management process is a dismal failure -
In all seriousness, what DOESN'T our gov't do that isn't a "dismal failure"? It's embarrassing.
btravlin2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017, 11:27 AM   #106
saltwatersensations
One more cast....

saltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by btravlin2 View Post
In all seriousness, what DOESN'T our gov't do that isn't a "dismal failure"? It's embarrassing.
They rape every resource they can squeeze a buck out of and they are still trillions in debt.
saltwatersensations is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2017, 05:30 PM   #107
Jolly Roger
COME AND TAKE IT

Jolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingredcat View Post
So, I’m reading as many posts concerning the rec fishing problems. I was at the Thursday meeting and was encouraged at the turnout. It would seem that the consensus is for the states to control more miles out. My question is, how can this be accomplished, is it even possible? I’ve already emailed all of my federal and state representatives from President Trump down to my local officials. Can someone, (sorry if this has been addressed, I couldn’t find it through searches), give a step-by-step guide as to the process for giving Texas more control?
Bill HR3094 needs to be reintroduced and made into a rider on the tax cut bill that is coming or any other bill that it can ride on and get passed.

http://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-c...ouse-bill/3094

http://www.congress.gov/114/bills/hr...14hr3094rh.pdf
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2017, 05:43 PM   #108
Captain Randy
Registered Users-pm+

Captain Randy is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Captain Randy is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Captain Randy is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Captain Randy is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Captain Randy is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Captain Randy is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Captain Randy is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Captain Randy is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Captain Randy is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Captain Randy is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Captain Randy is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Congress just needs to pass a law that says recreational fishing limits shall be governed by the state where they are landed.
Captain Randy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2017, 07:46 PM   #109
mikozz
Registered Users-pm+

mikozz has been promoted to Piratemikozz has been promoted to Piratemikozz has been promoted to Piratemikozz has been promoted to Piratemikozz has been promoted to Piratemikozz has been promoted to Piratemikozz has been promoted to Piratemikozz has been promoted to Piratemikozz has been promoted to Piratemikozz has been promoted to Piratemikozz has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilton View Post
Hog,
We are setting up a 501-c3 to get everyone on the same page.
Will post up when we get it a little further along.
Best,
Tom Hilton

Tom - as I've mentioned to you before, let me know if I can assist with the 501(c)(3) setup & compliance. I'm a CPA, have my own firm, and can at least file the required Form 990 each year for the entity (at no charge of course).

We all need to coordinate our efforts before it's too late, and an entity like this can help make that happen.

Thx,
Mike
mikozz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message