More Green Dick you still cold up there? - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Home Gardening Forum

Notices

Old 04-21-2017, 12:48 PM   #11
Rubberback
Raiser of BOB White Quail

Rubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Marx View Post
Yea some of my taters appear to be wilting . I don't know if that's from all the water I got or it's almost time for them to be done . I'm gonna try harder next year on my onions . Mine don't look anything like yours .
An onions an onion big or small. I like em big to fill up the whole burger or sammich. I think its the dang dirt I have here. Plus, I'm sure its also from adding compost and amending the soil all the time.
I think Lark has the same dirt I have. He grows some fabulous onions. Well to be honest that guy is one heck of a gardener period.
Rubberback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2017, 12:55 PM   #12
Paul Marx
Registered Users-pm+

Paul Marx has been promoted to PiratePaul Marx has been promoted to PiratePaul Marx has been promoted to PiratePaul Marx has been promoted to PiratePaul Marx has been promoted to PiratePaul Marx has been promoted to PiratePaul Marx has been promoted to PiratePaul Marx has been promoted to PiratePaul Marx has been promoted to PiratePaul Marx has been promoted to PiratePaul Marx has been promoted to Pirate
I need to add something to soften my dirt . I can make bricks if I till at the wrong time .

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Paul Marx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2017, 01:21 PM   #13
Rubberback

Rubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Marx View Post
I need to add something to soften my dirt . I can make bricks if I till at the wrong time .

It can rain up here and 2 days later I can till. I know for a fact onions and taters love sandy loam. Most veggies like sandy loam. The trick is to amend it all the time. The sand looses nutrients faster.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:01 PM   #14
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Meadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberback View Post
... The trick is to amend it all the time. ...

Very true...which is why I use cover crops 24/7 year around...the lowly cow pea is one amazing soil builder.
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2017, 02:17 PM   #15
Rubberback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
Very true...which is why I use cover crops 24/7 year around...the lowly cow pea is one amazing soil builder.
That is my plan this year. There's a few old timers up here that garden. They keep telling me to use winter peas. I have a bunch of cream peas will they work?
I'm gonna get a few tri pod waters that will water my whole garden.
I don't grow a lot in the fall so I'm just gonna use my small garden behind my shack. Might use the planters where my onions are now for cabbage and brock.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:11 PM   #16
Paul Marx
Registered Users-pm+

Paul Marx has been promoted to PiratePaul Marx has been promoted to PiratePaul Marx has been promoted to PiratePaul Marx has been promoted to PiratePaul Marx has been promoted to PiratePaul Marx has been promoted to PiratePaul Marx has been promoted to PiratePaul Marx has been promoted to PiratePaul Marx has been promoted to PiratePaul Marx has been promoted to PiratePaul Marx has been promoted to Pirate
I water with the garden kit from Irrigation Mart .Com . Easy to put down , and at the end of the season keep everything except the drip tape . Throw the tape away , because it's cheap to buy .

Paul Marx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2017, 04:42 PM   #17
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Meadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberback View Post
... There's a few old timers up here that garden. They keep telling me to use winter peas. I have a bunch of cream peas will they work?
Yep, I'm in the old timer club, LOL, RB. Any legume will help build your soil and prevent weeds. In winters, I prefer clovers as my legume of choice and coupled with elbon rye for complete coverage. Other times of the year, its peas, peas, peas. Any kind.... cow, blackeyes, purple hulls, crowders, etc. etc.

Beans are great legumes also and I always have some pintos and green beans growing in the summer.

For example, right now I have one double row of blackeye growing, a double row of bush green beans and a double row of pintos growing.

As soon as the onions and potatoes are out in a few days, in go more peas crowders, zippers, creams etc and these will be grown and shredded all the way through frost. I'll also plant peas in my harvested corn rows later this summer and grow/shred/grow/shred 'till frost.

After years of doing this, I'd put my garden soil up against any in the Country for nutrition and soil condition.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:30 AM   #18
jm423
Registered Users-pm+

jm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Pirate
Like that Elbon rye--helps with nematodes also. Haven't had much luck with clovers, think I may try vetch or Austrian winter peas come fall. Meantime, everything not dedicated to other vegs is in some various peas. If we don't plant something Ma Nature will!
jm423 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2017, 11:57 AM   #19
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Crimson clover works good here as does vetch in winter. I tried winter rape one year and it didn't seem to do much. I plant a lot of turnips also in winter...just broadcast them out with the rye seeds. Austrian peas sounds like a great option....may try that myself if can find any seeds.

I haven't seen a sign of nematodes in decades...and almost never have bug problems or weed problems. Only exception is corn which gets those worms in the silk end of the ears...haven't found a good way to get them but just plant enough for them and us both.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:51 PM   #20
Rubberback

I'm a fan of crimson clover. Its really cool looking. But I usually broadcast it in late oct. Guess I'll do peas and maybe in oct plant clover.