Guide Fishing Etiquette - Page 4 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 04-20-2017, 04:48 PM   #31
EJ@TSFMag
Registered Users-pm+

EJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to Pirate
"There should be a minimal IQ established to own a boat."

Good one! Just don't set the requirement too high lest some of us "more seasoned citizens" lose our boating/fishing privileges. Right Trouthunter? We're not exactly members of the freshman class any longer. LOL!
EJ@TSFMag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 05:16 PM   #32
aktxla
Registered Users-pm+

aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aktxla has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
In general, I have not had a lot of bad experiences with guides out on the bays but there seems to always be the exception to that rule. A couple of months ago I was drifting mid bay shell in East Matty and this guide pulls his boat up literally not 30 yards from the nose of my boat. One of his clients was actually casting in front of MY boat. How do I know it was a guide? They were so close that I listened to every word of how he got into guiding as he related the tale to the clients. With a zillion acres of mid bay reef, why he chose to set up his drift on the nose of my boat is still a mystery.
aktxla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #33
Trouthappy
Trouthappy

Trouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to Pirate
Wink

Always fun to talk out loud, when another boat is so close. "How come there's so many potlickers out here?" and "Can we still catch fish, with these people so close by?" and "All we've caught are gafftops for three hours, is there another place?" On and on, use your imagination.
Trouthappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 06:13 PM   #34
schoalbeast101
Registered Users-pm+

schoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirateschoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirateschoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirateschoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirateschoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirateschoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirateschoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirateschoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirateschoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirateschoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirateschoalbeast101 has been promoted to Pirate
Everyone does it. I know I get a little upset but I don't say anything because we think that the experienced fishermen know better. For the most part everyone is on the same page especially when it comes to drifting the deeper reefs in East Galveston Bay. I have had great trips over there, everyone communicating, laughing, bumping your trolling motor to drift by an anchored boat, trying to anchor in the right places if necessary having a great time catching fish. People using both live and artificial lures. To me many of the problems are a cause of being lazy. People not wanting to put your trolling motor in the water. Using your big motor and going straight back up over the reef and not up and around. People jealous they aren't catching fish and motor right over where you are casting. I honestly think some people just haven't been taught how to drift fish reefs the proper way. Some people don't have trolling motors, I get that but please wait until you are off the reef to fire up your big motor. It can ruin the fishing for everyone, and at the very least shuts the fish down for a time. If you want to learn the proper way watch what everyone else is doing. If you anchor in the middle of the reef know that boats are going to be drifting close by to you. The best situations are when everyone is drifting. Everyone finishes their drift off the reef. Motor back up way up wind around the reef. Pick your spot and start another drift. Your path should avoid boats anchored on the edge of the reefs by a safe distance. If you have a trolling motor use it to get yourself in a good line so you can drift over the reef and be as far (a relative term) as you can away from other boats. Watch the guides, they are great at this style of fishing. They pick a line, adjust with the trolling motor a little but finish their drift until they are off the reef. Good luck everyone.
schoalbeast101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 09:45 PM   #35
Zeitgeist
Whose House? Coog's House!!!

Zeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrem View Post
I have had all of that. 100 times over....by regular pawpaw fisherman. No idea if they were guides or not....wouldnt matter it happens every weekend.

Sure rule 17, (maybe 21), and 30.
I have never had a guide affect my fishing!
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2017, 06:27 AM   #36
bigfishtx
Registered Users-pm+

bigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Pirate
Reading through this thread.....too bad boaters didn't read it before yesterday. It was worse than usual, we almost got run over while drifting and the boats actually waived at us when they went by.
They either don't know better or, they are just plain dumb.
bigfishtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2017, 09:29 AM   #37
c hook
Registered Users-pm+

c hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Pirate
Jim West, Mickey and LG Boyd are three guides that I know of and have fished around more times then I can count, that will under no circumstances get close or disrespect anyone but actually give advice on the water. I've seen it and that is refreshing. Especially Jimmy, seen him give advice vs. going awal, real stand up gentleman on the water. Been fishing galvetraz since apprx 1982 and have seen it all. I try to fish Mondays thru Thursdays and only fish Friday, Saturday and Sundays when I've got the bug real bad, have pigs in a cage waiting for me to release them and have a plan to hide. You can do this by pulling your motor cowling off or hang a few popping corks on the boat. Or taking out someone who only has those days off. But when I fish those days I put my rush hour traffic, yahoo city attitude on. In other words I get ready for a three ring circus and relax.
c hook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2017, 09:35 AM   #38
LA Wader
Registered Users-pm+

LA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishtx View Post
Reading through this thread.....too bad boaters didn't read it before yesterday. It was worse than usual, we almost got run over while drifting and the boats actually waived at us when they went by.
They either don't know better or, they are just plain dumb.

There are 2 types of bad actors on the bays these days IMO.

1) I personally think that SOME of the folks that we get mad at come from freshwater fishing backgrounds (Toledo Bend, Rayburn, etc). Up on these reservoirs its common everyday practice to fire your motor up 50' away from another boat that is fishing, run 30 yds away from a boat that is fishing, run across a persons drift (atleast I've had these things happen to me about every time I've been up that way). The people doing this are just out of their elements and don't realize that we don't do these types of acts in our shallow bays. Generally, if you point out to them in a polite manner what they may have done wrong, they won't do it again.

2) The other group of anglers (guides, recreational, and tournament anglers) that know proper etiquette and just don't care to follow it! These folks can't be corrected because in their minds they are the elite and I/you happened to be in their way, their spot, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LA Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2017, 01:12 PM   #39
Jaysand247
Registered Users-pm+

Jaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to Pirate
I've only had one bad experience with a guide . And that was at Stingaree marina. I drove up to get bait because I was taking my young boys fishing. As I walked up I said good morning and ask if they had bait.. he popped off he doesn't use that **** so he doesn't know. I said ok . I'm taking my kids fishing so I'll go ask . Then he decided to tell my how chicken **** using bait was and if the kids couldn't throw lures they had no business on the boat.. a few words were exchanged and another boater got between us..
I've fished around and talked to many guides on sabine who would gladly offer advice on where to fish . The people I hate are the ones who swing close to see if you are catching anything and then keep going after they spooked the fish.
Jaysand247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2017, 02:36 PM   #40
LA Wader
Registered Users-pm+

LA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to PirateLA Wader has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysand247 View Post
I've only had one bad experience with a guide . And that was at Stingaree marina. I drove up to get bait because I was taking my young boys fishing. As I walked up I said good morning and ask if they had bait.. he popped off he doesn't use that **** so he doesn't know. I said ok . I'm taking my kids fishing so I'll go ask . Then he decided to tell my how chicken **** using bait was and if the kids couldn't throw lures they had no business on the boat.. a few words were exchanged and another boater got between us..
I've fished around and talked to many guides on sabine who would gladly offer advice on where to fish . The people I hate are the ones who swing close to see if you are catching anything and then keep going after they spooked the fish.

Wow, sounds like that fellow had a huge chip on his shoulder! If that guy did that in the presence of your kids, he's beyond a d-bag! Getting kids involved in fishing is important regardless of what technique is used to catch fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LA Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message